Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interactive multimedia

Options
  • 08-12-2008 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

you probably cant do this in CIT but there is no tralee IT thread.

well this course focouses on the creative side rather than the programming side of web development and multimedia.
    this corse wolud allow the student to work in a tv and radio suite.

well i need help. It sounds fun and im a creative person. can anybody with experience give me some information.

do yee think its good

o and are theyre any job opportunities.

please help.
    any comment will help...................well not spam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

ah, another one of those forgetable arty farty 'meeja' subjects that will never get you a job

so basically you do the course, spend the whole day on facebook while pretending to do photoshop. hang out with preppy folk showing off their iPhone, macbook and other iProducts. and end up living a life as a failed 'artist'.

i'm just being a bitter old sod here and that is the worst case scenario. but do something with programming. its not hard, not these days with all the scripting languages. even if you end up doing **** that doesn't involve programming it's always good to know how the **** works. and it will keep you away from the iPhony preps who just want to go to college for the sake of going to college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

towel401 wrote: »
    ah, another one of those forgetable arty farty 'meeja' subjects that will never get you a job

so basically you do the course, spend the whole day on facebook while pretending to do photoshop. hang out with preppy folk showing off their iPhone, macbook and other iProducts. and end up living a life as a failed 'artist'.

i'm just being a bitter old sod here and that is the worst case scenario. but do something with programming. its not hard, not these days with all the scripting languages. even if you end up doing **** that doesn't involve programming it's always good to know how the **** works. and it will keep you away from the iPhony preps who just want to go to college for the sake of going to college

yup, that pretty much sums it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

;_;

<- multimedia graduate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭sr. kila

thanks for all the encouragment

sr. kila wrote: »
    thanks for all the encouragment

Hey you asked their opinion and you gave it. It would have been worse had they lied and given you a false sense of what to expect. I mean, there'll probably be plenty out there tell you it's a great course, but in this day and age, the only people getting multimedia jobs are those with the higher class degrees from the more recognised multimedia courses. This is because of a variety of factors, but is, imho, largely due to the fact that there is now a host of applications on the market that make multimedia very very easy for anyone, graduate or not. A buddy of mine has a an MSc in Multimedia from UCC - he couldn't get a job in multimedia, so went off into a different field. You say it focuses more on the creative side of multimedia rather than the programming side. Dude - it's the programming side that employers are looking for. If you want to do something creative, do art or if you wana stick with computers, graphic design. But if you're looking to get into multimedia without any level of programming, you won't hold much value in today's market - that's the unfortunate truth of it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dharma_ie

yup, that pretty much sums it up.

you are so hilariously wrong.

I am a multimedia graduate, worked my ass off, got an honours degree, and am now abroad with a job so f*cking amazing, it would make your eyes water.

so now so.

dharma_ie wrote: »
    you are so hilariously wrong.

I am a multimedia graduate, worked my ass off, got an honours degree, and am now abroad with a job so f*cking amazing, it would make your eyes water.

so now so.
    cool what kind of job do you have

this course seems 50-50

dharma_ie wrote: »
    and am now abroad

Not that I think you'd admit it anyway, but was this by choice?? Cos there aren't many multimedia jobs in Ireland...

There aren't many jobs in Ireland period. But I graduated last June and got a job I love by September (in Ireland). I'm not living the life of a failed artist and I've yet to meet any graduate from my course who IS. It's a broad degree with a lot of subjects and projects to do- I and the rest of my class worked our collective asses off for our final year projects, in college for 13 hours a day, so it's pretty damn insulting to have people dismissing it as a "forgetable(sic) arty farty 'meeja'" degree. Not everyone needs to have C++ to get a job.

I know I spent just as much time studying and working as my friends who did Physics, Computer Science, and Physiotherapy to name a few. And no, that work did not involve sitting around with iPhones and Macbooks. You've demonstrated a fine ignorance of CITs media department because there is zero truth in ANY of your opinions. Maybe you should actually take a visit to the department and actually speak to the students before you write us all off as failed artists pretending to do photoshop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 jk47

Gauge wrote: »
    There aren't many jobs in Ireland period. But I graduated last June and got a job I love by September (in Ireland). I'm not living the life of a failed artist and I've yet to meet any graduate from my course who IS. It's a broad degree with a lot of subjects and projects to do- I and the rest of my class worked our collective asses off for our final year projects, in college for 13 hours a day, so it's pretty damn insulting to have people dismissing it as a "forgetable(sic) arty farty 'meeja'" degree. Not everyone needs to have C++ to get a job.

I know I spent just as much time studying and working as my friends who did Physics, Computer Science, and Physiotherapy to name a few. And no, that work did not involve sitting around with iPhones and Macbooks. You've demonstrated a fine ignorance of CITs media department because there is zero truth in ANY of your opinions. Maybe you should actually take a visit to the department and actually speak to the students before you write us all off as failed artists pretending to do photoshop.

well you just made a fool of yourself. evil monkey and the other posters were discussing interactive multimedia in tralee. they didn't say a word against any CIT multimedia courses.the course in tralee and your course are two totally different animals. read the posts. and comparing you to guys doing physics and computer science? please. maybe we don't all need c++, but its a lot harder than drawing a picture and using pritstick.

jk47 wrote: »
    well you just made a fool of yourself. evil monkey and the other posters were discussing interactive multimedia in tralee. they didn't say a word against any CIT multimedia courses.the course in tralee and your course are two totally different animals. read the posts. and comparing you to guys doing physics and computer science? please. maybe we don't all need c++, but its a lot harder than drawing a picture and using pritstick.

They didn't specify which course, instead they decided to tar all 'meeja' courses with the same brush. I'm sticking up for the one I've graduated from, which you also know nothing about. Pritt stick and pictures? Haha, no. And yes, I worked just as hard as my friends who did computer science and applied physics- funnily enough, they aren't insulted by this, but you are?

They didn't specify which course, instead they decided to tar all 'meeja' courses with the same brush. I'm sticking up for the one I've graduated from, which you also know nothing about. Pritt stick and pictures? Haha, no. And yes, I worked just as hard as my friends who did computer science and applied physics- funnily enough, they aren't insulted by this, but you are?

I didn't tar all the 'meeja' courses with the same brush. I was speaking about Interactive Multimedia in Tralee - which I felt was clear from my comments, and this thread is about. Multimedia in CIT is a fine course. Interactive Multimedia in Tralee is not. Not all course of similar titles will be as good as each other. If we had been asked by the OP to comment on Multimedia in CIT, I for one, would have given a different opinion. So perhaps you should read my posts a little more clearly. You say I didn't specify which course - the OP did, I presumed we didn't have to specify again and that it was clear we were discussing Interactive Multimedia in Tralee...

As for Physics and Multimedia being as hard as eachother - the two simply aren't comparable. BSc degrees and BA degrees are not comparable - at all. I'm not saying one is easier or more difficult, I'm saying they are different disciplines in which different people will excel. So comparing them is really just a waste of time. Plus, considering few of us here will have both a degree in physics and multimedia, none of us can really give an accurate comparison.

the multimedia course in cit is actually very simular to the one in itt.

kind ov blows your theory out ov da water mr evil-monkey

sr. kila wrote: »
    the multimedia course in cit is actually very simular to the one in itt.

I disagree, I think the CIT counterpart's content is a lot heavier and less "artistic", for want of a better word. And on separate note, I would be far more inclined to hire a CIT Multimedia student than an ITT Interactive Multimedia student, but that's neither here nor there.

And, might I add, there is nothing "theoretical" to the fact that I was discussing Interactive Multimedia in ITT, not Multimedia in CIT. People just tend to forget to read posts every now and again...

I didn't tar all the 'meeja' courses with the same brush. I was speaking about Interactive Multimedia in Tralee - which I felt was clear from my comments, and this thread is about. Multimedia in CIT is a fine course. Interactive Multimedia in Tralee is not. Not all course of similar titles will be as good as each other. If we had been asked by the OP to comment on Multimedia in CIT, I for one, would have given a different opinion. So perhaps you should read my posts a little more clearly. You say I didn't specify which course - the OP did, I presumed we didn't have to specify again and that it was clear we were discussing Interactive Multimedia in Tralee...

Alrighty then :) I thought you were, based on your response to dharma_ie and the fact that you referred to 'meeja' subjects in general and not the ITT subject by name. I shouldn't have assumed and I apologise for that.

To be honest (rant coming, directed at no one in particular) I've spent so much of my time in and after college defending my choice of degree it gets tiring. So many people have told me that it's worthless, a waste of time, and act as if I spent most my time gluing things together or making bebo layouts. I chose to compare the course to Physics and computer science mostly because a) certain people like to suggest to me that any third-level education not based in computers, science, or similar disciplines is worthless, or not as 'valuable' and b) I have friends doing/completed those specific courses and we have compared workloads, time spent on projects and dropout rates throughout the years.

At the end of the day, I know what my degree involved and I'm happy with the skillset (and job) that I have, but I'm sure you can all understand how frustrating it is to spend 12+ hours a day in college for your final year working, only for people to say "LOL, multimeeja, sure all ye do is photoshop and take pictures?" I'm sure you've all experienced at least one person telling you that by attending CIT you're not going to a "REAL" college or that your degree is not a "REAL" degree- it gets old pretty fast.

Again, I'd like to point out I am not directing this rant at anyone in particular, just explaining the reasoning behind me being so quick to defend my education ;) which I just mispelled as 'ejaculation' so I should probably take that as a hint to go to sleep.

Alrighty then :) I thought you were, based on your response to dharma_ie and the fact that you referred to 'meeja' subjects in general and not the ITT subject by name. I shouldn't have assumed and I apologise for that.

To be honest (rant coming, directed at no one in particular) I've spent so much of my time in and after college defending my choice of degree it gets tiring. So many people have told me that it's worthless, a waste of time, and act as if I spent most my time gluing things together or making bebo layouts. I chose to compare the course to Physics and computer science mostly because a) certain people like to suggest to me that any third-level education not based in computers, science, or similar disciplines is worthless, or not as 'valuable' and b) I have friends doing/completed those specific courses and we have compared workloads, time spent on projects and dropout rates throughout the years.

At the end of the day, I know what my degree involved and I'm happy with the skillset (and job) that I have, but I'm sure you can all understand how frustrating it is to spend 12+ hours a day in college for your final year working, only for people to say "LOL, multimeeja, sure all ye do is photoshop and take pictures?" I'm sure you've all experienced at least one person telling you that by attending CIT you're not going to a "REAL" college or that your degree is not a "REAL" degree- it gets old pretty fast.

Again, I'd like to point out I am not directing this rant at anyone in particular, just explaining the reasoning behind me being so quick to defend my education ;) which I just mispelled as 'ejaculation' so I should probably take that as a hint to go to sleep.

I see your point exactly. It happens with all courses I'd think. For example; "Hey you do computers, my TV remote is broken, can you fix it?" Hmmm, sorry but I was out the day we studied TV remotes actually!! My buddy got a call from his Uncle one day, who expected him to know the customer care line for O2 - why? Well he's doing computers - shouldn't he know the numbers for all the phone companies :confused:

And my sister did Arts - she gets it worse than anyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

In general all courses in CIT have heavy work loads and you won't get anywhere if you are not willing to put in the work, at least to get a good grade.

I don't think people or even employers from outside CIT recognize this level of this work. They would much prefer to take up a university student over a CIT one (often, tho a some employers are begining to notice that CITers are better suited).

I personally end up being in college for 8am, just so I can eat and park before going to class for 9. Last class would typically be maybe 5/6 but I'd end up staying until closing time 9.45 so as I can get some of assignment stuff done.
    Straight home then and out with the laptop and be working again from 11 - 2am.

Towards the end, last month or so this was the norm, a ~16 hour day. I come home to my friend in Maths Science UCC 4th year, he has only a few classes a day, doesn't wake up till 12 maybe. He works hard but the hours are no where near what we have. I wish employers would recognise this a bit more, that we are used to getting up early and used to coming home late unlike a lot of other colleges.

Weekends would be full on days as well to get assignments done for CA, so its go go 7 days a week. Will be glad once it over.

/end rant

Advertisement