Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House training dog

Options
  • 08-12-2008 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

I have a golden cocker spanial, 11mths old, and he refuses to house train. I have tried everything from praising him when he goes outside to giving out when he goes inside, I would bring him out and could stay outside in garden with him for 10mins and as soon as he's back inside he goes on the floor. He is getting better slowly but unsure what to do next. I have a german shepard that is house trained and had no probs training when pup, he's 6 now. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Skadi

Hootie wrote: »
    I have a golden cocker spanial, 11mths old, and he refuses to house train. I have tried everything from praising him when he goes outside to giving out when he goes inside, I would bring him out and could stay outside in garden with him for 10mins and as soon as he's back inside he goes on the floor. He is getting better slowly but unsure what to do next. I have a german shepard that is house trained and had no probs training when pup, he's 6 now. Any advice appreciated.

I'm having the same kind of problem. My puppy is now nearly 7 months old. My partner and I are out of the house most for long periods during the day so we don't expect her to be good during the day. (and don't worry she has an older dog for company). Our problem is that we trained her too well to use newspapers down by the door and that is where she like to go now.

At night time we have got around the problem a little by putting her in another room to sleep and every second night now she is good. If she goes on the floor we put her outside and take our time cleaning up and to show her she cannot come in until we are finished.

Our puppy knows the toilet command, and this helps at nighttime when we put the two dogs out together. She sees that when the older dog goes to toilet she is allowed back in the house, and so she knows that she must go too. You can always reward the older dog for going to toilet, so that the younger dog realises that this is what you want him to do.

I have read books that suggest if you use newspaper to put them just outside the door, or where you want the puppy to go to toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

Yep, tried that and failed. The older dog, like yours, is trained to go to the toilet on command but this does not seem to be rubbing off on the pup.

Advertisement