Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovering from eating disorder-is Figure 8 a good idea?

• 08-12-2008 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone had any experience of Figure 8? A friend of mine lost a shed load of weight with them and looks amazing; she swears by it!! I'm a size 12-14 and weigh about 10 st 4, which looks quite heavy on my 5'3 frame so would ideally like to lose about a stone and a half. The thing is, I had (well actually still have) a lot of issues with food; I became bulimic when I was 16 and since then have been in and out of therapy for it.

My metabolism is fairly screwed as a result and so I'm finding it really hard to lose weight myself so I think their diet plan etc is a good idea. Better than Weight Watchers as it doesn't rely on counting points etc. It might actually help me as it would give me a plan to stick to and a goal to help keep me on track. They put alot of emphasis on fitness which is good aswell, not just weight loss...

But does anyone have an opinion about my options? Should I really put myself through that and face a scales again? If anyone has any past experience with Figure 8 I'd love to hear about it so I know what to expect!

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Oh Caridee,

I am as far from a "party liner" on this board as you can get, so I think I am the best person to say this to you.

Let me tell you what you really know yourself which is:

NO WAY

Not for a recovering bulimic.

I think learning to maintain your weight at a healthy level you are confident with is part of recovering from bulimia, and I feel sure you can go down to a 12, or even a 10, without being an unhealthy weight, but if this makes any sense, the only way you can handle going down to that that past your eating disorder is to do it the hard way, painfully slowly, with healthy actual food and exercise.

...and think about losing a stone and toning off the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Sorry, I'm voting "NO" as well. Actually, I suspect you have less weight to lose than you think. Sometime when you are out in a busy cafe or shopping center with an honest friend, get her to point out someone with the same bodyshape as you. Bet you'll be surprised.

Us women are far too inclined to look at individual defects rather than the overall package, and to fixate on any bits that wobble or roll or wrinkle. We look at Angelina Jolie and wonder who we don't look like that. Nobody looks like Angelina Jolie, including Angelina Jolie herself. Even one of the most beautiful women in the world has been air-brushed and computer enhanced.

In fact, my recommendation is to throw out your scales. If your clothes start feeling too tight, then you can walk an extra mile or two, but for regular normal life, just eat lots of fresh healthy food, the best quality you can find, and don't count calories or fat grams or anything else.

Advertisement