Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpet not laid properly??

Options
  • 09-12-2008 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Any advice gratefully received re the correct procedure for professional carpet fitters. Have done a search but to no avail......

To cut a long story short, had a wool carpet laid in the master bedroom of our new house a few months back. Came home once the carpet layers had gone and noticed that it had just been glued round the skirting boards as opposed to being chipped under them as we do back in Scotland. Before I had time to ask friends/inlaws was this normal procedure here, we had to have the whole thing taken up again due to major plumbing problems (total and utter nightmare, upon more advice I'll be seeking soon :()

Fasr forward to today and the builder, upon replacing said carpet, discovered that it is now half an inch short of the skirting boards??? The bumps have been stretched out but it's still way short lengthways. Rang the shop and they're sending somebody out to check a week today but she said wool carpet doesn't shrink??

How are carpets supposed to be finished re skirting boards and has anyone else had this same problem with wool carpets shrinking?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,173 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

"normally" in Ireland carpets will be attached to carpet grippers that are nailed to the floor. Then a carpet stretcher is used to stretch the carpet over the gripper to its catches on the teeth of the gripper.
    I wouldnt have thought just glue on its own would hold unless the entire carpet was glued to the floor.
    Are you sure no one cut anything off the carpet when it was being taken up to fix the leak?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

there are basically 2 ways of doing it,

1. Glue, this would normally only be used as a quick/cheap option, where the carpet is not very expensive and you don't expect it to last overly long. If no underlay is used (again usually if it a quick/cheap option) then a lot of people use glue as the carpet grippers would be too high as the carpet would be straight on the floor, not raised by underlay - if you know what I mean?

2. Underlay is put down and carpet grippers are used to keep the carpet in place around the edges, a good tip is to raise the skirt boards a 1/2 inch for the carpet to go under it, makes a nice finish.

So at the end of the day it depends really on the type of job you wanted done, but I would be have expected the shop people to have discussed this with you. Good underlay is expensive but can last up to 20/25 years does not need changing each time so its really advisable to use it.

Also if the right glue is used then it should hold, I've seen where we have had to glue the carpet grippers to the floors as the steel nails wouldn't go into the concrete floors - and that was my house so it wasn't like we were taking the lazy option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Slightly OT

If you are going to have you carpet glued to the floor AFAIK you can get a substantial price reduction as you need only pay the lower VAT rate as it becomes a permanent fixture rather than a furnishing. Check it out with your suupplier folks. I've had it done and save a tidy sum.

Advertisement