Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recomendation?

Options
  • 09-12-2008 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

I hope ye dont mind me starting a new thresd for this but im all out of ideas. Recently I have finished two trilogy's by Trudi Canaven, The Black Magican trilogy and the Age Of the Five trilogy. My dilemma is that I absolutely loved these books and she has no new work out for a few more months, Her writing is fantasy (my discription) and involves magic and wizards, sorcerers, priests and priestess and the like. This was the first of these types of books I've read, before it was mainly John Grisham and Robert Ludlum and similar authors but id like to keep in the same mould of Trudi for the time being if ye could recommend some Id be very grateful. I've been bookless for eight days now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Baybay

I suggest you have a look at Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. They're quite similar to Canavan, as in fantasy and are very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

Thanks Ill look him up and see what they seem like.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Robin Hobb also writes in a similar way, the first of hers to read would be the Assassin trilogy, they're a great read, some of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

the Song of Ice and fire series by George RR martin is quite good but a bit of a wait for the latest volume.

far superior imho is the malazan Series by Steven Eriksson. much harder to get into but much much more rewarding. there is also a sister series by Ian Esselmont set in the same world with some of the same characters.

as Lemon Sherbert says, Robin Hobb is excellent, especially the farseer trilogy. The soldiers son trilogy was a bit dissappointing though and be prepared, Hobb can be quite depressing to read.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

LoLth wrote: »
    the Song of Ice and fire series by George RR martin is quite good but a bit of a wait for the latest volume.
    +100 for George RR Martin.

Not sure why you'd have to wait for the latest book though! Might as well start at the beginning. ;)

• Advertisement

Cheers for the feed back so far, also im presuming easons is the best place to search for these or is there better places?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Baybay

Codofwar wrote: »
    presuming easons is the best place to search for these or is there better places?

Most bookshops will have some or all of the books mentioned so it really depends on where you prefer to shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 strumindaguitar

Magician By Raymond E. Feist part of the raiftwar saga 3 books in total

Going from your interest in fantasty, you'll love this book!

I was looking at feist's books alright but as there was always so many there I didn't know where it started or ended. Cheers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Feist's Riftwar stuff is good alright, but 'fluffier' compared to George RR Martin's series (and doesn't hold a candle too it either, imo).

It all depends what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭paddyenglishman

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the unbeliever,Stephen Donaldson was a good series of books if i remember rightly.

All the stuff mentioned above is pretty great.

Personally, I'd go with the "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" trilogy by Tad Williams.

Advertisement