Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is your favourite poet?

Options
  • 09-12-2008 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

It has to be Longley for me!

Who is your favourite poet 124 votes

Michael Longley
    0%
    John Montague
    23%
    JSK 252macromanciano1Jack SheehanB0XNiall09ShanotheslayerJam-FlyxOxSinéadxOxstainlussStev_oDishhappydayz182peterom11Ruskienglish4490Malloxgemxpinkunknown13.:FuZion:. 29 votes
    Derek Mahon
    15%
    marshmallowmuffinmanpoisonatedGERMAN ROCKSjhn_nolnImJohnzonEEEMycroft HCDfmSphinx's-ME-ReacherCreatureooPabsoogregbelvoriverstickArttieMetamorphisisRichard Craniumtattoodublin 19 votes
    Derek Walcott
    16%
    PurpleFistMixerandymanDayshadeise_boijefreywithonefOisinjmPigwidgeon[Deleted User]--paul--9wetfckx43j5rgthebigcheese22MichellenmanbythewoodscheekayLucetJammycbricky10Danteodeaclgoose1 20 votes
    John Keats
    8%
    HQvhsimplausibleChiefBrodyMrPainaine-mairerhapsody!TriciaDeliciaCalum196yummy91Homicidal_jesusya-ba-da-ba-doo 11 votes
    Philip Larkin
    14%
    DAEDULUSAcid_VioletLivingDeadGirlirishmonkeySligoBrewerMario007MartinogDaemosBlindedByGIngenaasfaceGloomthe_wheel_turnsmeself@largeDes23InkivaariWeUNDER-ACHIEVERNihilist21 18 votes
    Adrienne Rich
    11%
    LemonParsleyTwinkle-star15phasersironictoasterbanjopaulSaruwatariGaryBGA361degausserxo[Deleted User]byhookorbycrookdermo1990JohnG18 14 votes
    Elizabeth Bishop
    10%
    brianthebardpapu[Deleted User]SRFC90cop41cautionerfivetwentyayumiGuitarist-JEMpostalserviceKateFdaithiolabhraiVivaLaVida 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Adrienne Rich
    Larkin or Longley

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

TBH I hate all of them equally

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Bishop or Longley.

But oh how I hate Larkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

John Montague
    Longely:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Derek Walcott
    Out of the ones I've done, I love Mahon.

Bishop's amazing too, but ... Mahon wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Derek Walcott
    Yeah Mahon is deadly, I was so happy he came up last year. My class refused to do Ecclesiastes but I loved that poem, so I wrote about it anyway. >.>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Derek Mahon
    Montague.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Poetry and I don't generally get along, but if I had to choose a poet, it would be Elizabeth Bishop... Mainly because because she's pretty simple. I hated John Keats :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

Derek Walcott
    I hate all of them but if i had to choose one it'd be Mahon...hes got some alright poems.

I HATE Bishop....so boring, anyone could write better stuff then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Adrienne Rich
    Phillip Larkin, what a legend

• Advertisement

Yeah Mahon is deadly, I was so happy he came up last year. My class refused to do Ecclesiastes but I loved that poem, so I wrote about it anyway. >.>

WHAT! They refused it? Its one of the few poems on the course I liked, that and First Death In Nova Scotia (And even then it was because I liked a band who where then called FDINS then the fúckers dropped the INS)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

It's John Keats for me, I thought he was very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

John Montague
    Pretentious, self loathi...

Oh hello, i'm Box, i hate poetry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭BlindedByGInge

Philip Larkin
    I agree about John Keats, he is very likely to come up this year aswell. The Odes are very similar so you have to avoid repeating yourself, but apart from that they are easy once you understand them, all that is left is to crap out the same old bs and ur on ur way to a B!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Derek Walcott
    Fad wrote: »
    WHAT! They refused it? Its one of the few poems on the course I liked, that and First Death In Nova Scotia (And even then it was because I liked a band who where then called FDINS then the fúckers dropped the INS)
    "It was too confusing".
    That's also why we didn't do Donne, who is apparently fantastic.

"It was too confusing".

From a guy who doesnt like/get poetry I managed pretty ok with it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Philip Larkin
    Keats definitely

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Philip Larkin
    I really liked Donne last year.

I like most of them actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Derek Mahon
    I don't know how anyone can like bishop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 KnockHoops

strongr im not a big fan of her poetry but im praying she comes up next june so easy to discuss her poetry for me due to her upbringing and her other issues she discusses in her poetry, she is starting to grow on me 18 months after first studying her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

John Montague
    My predictions for June:

Longley
    Bishop
    Keats
    Walcott

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I quite liked Mahon when I was doing poetry and was motivated to do English. I'd like Larkin too but my motivation has dropped completely now since I have lost all faith in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Adrienne Rich
    Larkin for me :):) :(:( :l:confused: :O:eek: ;);)

I HATE Bishop's poetry.
    I found Rich's way more interesting and easy to write about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

John Montague
    Longley

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

I don't really like any poetry to be quite honest but one poem I do like is 'The Cage' by John Montague. But thats just cos it reminds me of Dexter:D

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

John Montague
    Longley for me - that beard is just god like. He also makes his poetry easy to follow for those easily distracted beings...unlike that Keats fellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

John Montague
    Longley is leading the pack.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Bishop is class. Don't get me started on Rich though.... *shudder*
    Longley and Mahon are good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Derek Walcott
    Who I'll think will come up in June

Bishop
    Walcott
    Keats
    Montague

Derek Mahon's my favourite though. So easy. I'd be delighted if Bishop, Montague or Longley came up though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Hate poetry so much.... E.B is real easy to write about

Advertisement