Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is your favourite poet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

John Montague
    Longley looks like the favourite for 2009!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Adrienne Rich
    Bah, Stupid Badger...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

so far i like bishop:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Philip Larkin
    Keats is an absolute joy to study. Certain to come up as well. Sorted.
    Larkin is very 'interesting'.. hard to write on though, the polar opposite of Adrienne 'Yes, I have a vagina and I want the world to know.' Rich. I despise her but she's ridiculously easy to criticize in a personal response.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

Adrienne Rich
    I hate Rich, but I'm probably going to end up using her :(. Larkin is my favourite, but I don't think my class is going to do him, my teacher doesn't like him. Tbh, his poetry seems like it would be a bitch to write about, some of the other poets are way easier *coughMontaguecough* :P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Derek Walcott
    bythewoods wrote: »
    Out of the ones I've done, I love Mahon.

Bishop's amazing too, but ... Mahon wins.
    Exact same as myself, I was a bit torn but I chose Mahon over Bishop!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Derek Mahon
    I love the poem 'like dolmens round my childhod' so simple and evocative.....

Philip Larkin
    I hate Rich, but I'm probably going to end up using her :(. Larkin is my favourite, but I don't think my class is going to do him, my teacher doesn't like him. Tbh, his poetry seems like it would be a bitch to write about, some of the other poets are way easier *coughMontaguecough* :P.

Yeah, but I have a distinct disliking for Montague since my teacher told us he would be the easiest to do. Plus the fact that he's an old disturbed fart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Derek Walcott
    I never liked Montague that much... well, okay, "All Legendary Obstacles" was a pretty nice poem, but I felt he lacked the substance and depth that say, Mahon or Rich had. You could talk about Rich for pages. (And Plath, don't think you guys are doing her though.)

John Montague
    I dont like Mahon. He considers himself a european poet and not an Irish poet. I mean for **** sake, if you were on holidays and someone asked you where you were from? You wouldnt say your european, you would say you were Irish. The guy is just odd like.

• Advertisement

Derek Walcott
    JSK 252 wrote: »
    I dont like Mahon. He considers himself a european poet and not an Irish poet. I mean for **** sake, if you were on holidays and someone asked you where you were from? You wouldnt say your european, you would say you were Irish. The guy is just odd like.
    What a bizarre reason to dislike a person. Irish people are European, you know. : p

John Montague
    What a bizarre reason to dislike a person. Irish people are European, you know. : p

But why call yourself european and not Irish? It makes no sense like. I got the impression from his peotry that he doesnt seem to fit into Irish society. Hes like an outsider and doesnt know where to fit in.

I thought one would be proud to be called Irish.

Its a matter of personal taste but I prefer the NI poet Longley to him, out of the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Edsgravy0

John Montague
    It's gotta be Longley

He's dead easy to write an English answer about, about his father and war and violence etc.

Ain't done Bishop... am I missing out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Derek Walcott
    Yeah, but I have a distinct disliking for Montague since my teacher told us he would be the easiest to do. Plus the fact that he's an old disturbed fart.

I actually met Montague last year at a book signing and big.. talk yoke.
    He seemed to be a bit of a complete and utter weirdo!
    Talking about doing his wife and stuff.... really!
    And someone asked a question about that.. poem.. "Same Gesture" (I think?- it's the one with the... um.. that one) and he start talking about masturbation for at least 10 minutes.
    Among other stuff!
    There's just no nice way of putting it, he's a dirty old man.

John Montague
    Sure talks about having sex with a fish in The Trout!;)

Derek Walcott
    JSK 252 wrote: »
    But why call yourself european and not Irish? It makes no sense like. I got the impression from his peotry that he doesnt seem to fit into Irish society. Hes like an outsider and doesnt know where to fit in.

I thought one would be proud to be called Irish.

Its a matter of personal taste but I prefer the NI poet Longley to him, out of the two.
    Mahon was born in Belfast, just to clarify, he's also from NI. : p (Perhaps he prefers to call himself European rather than instantly bring about political associations of "Irish" or "British", one can only speculate.)
    Though... I think his poems deal a fair bit with Irish identity, in fact I wrote about that in my LC... "Poetry of People" etcetera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Elizabeth Bishop
    Rich gets my vote purely because Diving Into the Wreck blows my mind and I had a mini epiphany/orgasm in class when I first unraveled its meaning. I say I because my English teacher is a feckless plank who says "pacific" instead of "specific".

Bishop comes second for similar reasons with In the Waiting Room and, to a lesser extent, The Armadillo.

Like Keats. Hate Larkin. Fairly indifferent to the others.

John Montague
    Mahon was born in Belfast, just to clarify, he's also from NI. : p (Perhaps he prefers to call himself European rather than instantly bring about political associations of "Irish" or "British", one can only speculate.)
    Though... I think his poems deal a fair bit with Irish identity, in fact I wrote about that in my LC... "Poetry of People" etcetera.

Thats should have read other NI poet Longley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

Derek Mahon
    there all dicks!

Derek Walcott
    Nice contribution there. I can see you shall go far in English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Derek Walcott
    PFM, i couldn't agree more!

What a profound insight, not to mention great use of grammar.

I love how some people really connect with the poets like that. <3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Elizabeth Bishop
    Bishop first , very good poems to answer on , then maybe Walcott , Mahon , Montague ,Rich andLongley , haven't done keats yet and I don't know if we will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

Derek Mahon
    im actually in honours english and im pretty good so shhhh!lol
    na i just hate poetry, i like simple poems that rhyme which may sound stupid but oh well,ya must be kinda odd to write a mad poem like these lads do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Elizabeth Bishop
    Yeah, I don't get the whole non-rhyming poem thing, it's like, BAWRING!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Elizabeth Bishop
    we made one shape in water.. :D
    and two quarter moons unpeeled like a frisket there...
    :cool:
    walcott is some man , hahaha

John Montague
    Its a very tight squeeeze with Bishop, Longley and Larkin all on 11 votes each!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Derek Walcott
    G'wan de Mahon!
    hehe
    I mean *ahem* I whole-heartedly support people's pledges to increase the popularity, by means of a bar graph, of Derek Mahon!

:p Cmon its English inst it?

Philip Larkin
    ooPabsoo wrote: »
    there all dicks!

There is only one dick on our course, and ironically it's the women who hates them. Adrienne Rich.

Also if we're speaking of poets outside of our course, Wilfred Owen was a genius with words and imagery.

John Montague
    I liked Siegfried Sasoon myself for the jc and his poem Base Details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Philip Larkin
    That poll is proof, almost everyone hates Walcott. I didn't study him, we did Keats instead, but my teacher told us she has yet to come across a student who liked Walcott!

Advertisement