Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is your favourite poet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

John Montague
    What poets have ye all covered in class in full? Have ye covered 5 poets?

We have the 3 Irish and the 2 girls done.

John Montague
    JSK 252 wrote: »
    What poets have ye all covered in class in full? Have ye covered 5 poets?

We have the 3 Irish and the 2 girls done.

Which has the most logical sense considering a female poet and an Irish poet has appeared on the exam since the start of the new english syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭daithiolabhrai

Elizabeth Bishop
    Adrienne Rich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Elizabeth Bishop
    Which has the most logical sense considering a female poet and an Irish poet has appeared on the exam since the start of the new english syllabus.

This. This this this. There's so much talk of it this year don't you think the time is ripe for the SEC to buck the trend? Everyone gets excited and thinks it's like a rule that they have to have at least one female/Irish poet question.

John Montague
    cautioner wrote: »
    This. This this this. There's so much talk of it this year don't you think the time is ripe for the SEC to buck the trend? Everyone gets excited and thinks it's like a rule that they have to have at least one female/Irish poet question.

Well the Irish poet has always come up even in the old syllabus aswell according to my teacher so there isnt much chance they are going to break at least a 30 year pattern is there? just for us LCers in 09? I dont know about the female poet though.

Either way I will have 5 poets studied by the end of this year so it doesnt matter what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

Philip Larkin
    Keats. So much more interesting.

And Longley.

Keats hasn't been up since 2003.

Cannot stand Walcott :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Philip Larkin
    Well the Irish poet has always come up even in the old syllabus aswell according to my teacher so there isnt much chance they are going to break at least a 30 year pattern is there? just for us LCers in 09? I dont know about the female poet though.

Either way I will have 5 poets studied by the end of this year so it doesnt matter what happens.

Our teacher told us there's always been one irish poet, one non irish poet, one poet from the older generation so to speak, and one woman. But we've 7 done so far with just Theo Walcott left to do, so it makes no difference to me really.

Just hope the trend continues and Keats come up tbh.

John Montague
    Our teacher told us there's always been one irish poet, one non irish poet, one poet from the older generation so to speak, and one woman. But we've 7 done so far with just Theo Walcott left to do, so it makes no difference to me really.

Just hope the trend continues and Keats come up tbh.

Poetry could be a new money making venture for the arsenal player!:p Why did ye do 7 poets for? Isnt it kind of a waste of time considerig only 4 come up? Fair enough you have the wider choice but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

John Montague
    longley!what a guy...is it too risky only doing him and jm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Derek Walcott
    I did the Leaving last year and i still love Mahon! :pac:

• Advertisement

Philip Larkin
    Poetry could be a new money making venture for the arsenal player!:p Why did ye do 7 poets for? Isnt it kind of a waste of time considerig only 4 come up? Fair enough you have the wider choice but still...

Good to see someone got my joke.:pac:

We're staring the 8th (Theo Walcott himself) tomorrow. We do all 8 as it allows the students to choose for himself or something of that effect. We had 4 poets , all our comparatives and Macbeth done by Summer 08 so I think its just to avoid boredom as well. Our teacher fair dues to the guy is absolutely brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭bricky10

Derek Walcott
    I think Mahon is the best..but he came up in last year's leaving cert so....If I was to pick a poet who i think will come up it would have to be Walcott. He's fairly handy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 odeacl

Derek Walcott
    mahon is a ledgend.

always get A1s when i write about him, never when i write bout any1 else, so fingers crossed for the day that he will be there!

John Montague
    Good to see someone got my joke.:pac:

We're staring the 8th (Theo Walcott himself) tomorrow. We do all 8 as it allows the students to choose for himself or something of that effect. We had 4 poets , all our comparatives and Macbeth done by Summer 08 so I think its just to avoid boredom as well. Our teacher fair dues to the guy is absolutely brilliant.

Thats handy having them all done. What are your own top 4 poets having done the 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Philip Larkin
    Nice!

Having done 3 of the 8 last year in my LC class, I am doing the last 5 this year.

Mahon, Rich, Larkin, Bishop, Montague, Longley done.
    Only Yeats and Walcott left to do however I am hoping Bishop comes up! Love her poetry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

im doing Rich at the moment i hate her. I love Mahon Montague and Bishop though

John Montague
    Longley still leads after 77 votes cast!

Philip Larkin
    Thats handy having them all done. What are your own top 4 poets having done the 8?

In the order I plan to write on them.
    1. Keats
    2. Rich
    3. Bishop
    4. Longley

I love Keats and I love giving out about Adrienne Rich. Bishop is a logical enough choice then as then I have all the wimmenz covered and then Longley would be my 2nd favourite poet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Philip Larkin
    John Keats and Adrienne Riche. Everyone in my class thinks Keats poetry is bs and a lot of people think Riche is just a man-hater, but I just love their poems for their imagery and imagination and how affecting the sentiment is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Riche IS a man hater

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Elizabeth Bishop
    John Keats and Adrienne Riche. Everyone in my class thinks Keats poetry is bs and a lot of people think Riche is just a man-hater, but I just love their poems for their imagery and imagination and how affecting the sentiment is.

A man/woman/person/thing after my own heart. The only two poets on the course I'd consider checking out outside of the course work.
    Riche IS a man hater
    No, Rich is a lesbian and a civil rights activist. It's unfair to say things like this, even if not altogether seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Derek Walcott
    Fairly sure Rich wrote an essay suggesting that the only way forward for women is lesbianism, but that doesn't necessarily make her a man-hater. I never agreed with her ideas that women and men can't communicate (Trying to Talk To a Man...), but she certainly has some interesting ideas, anyway.

John Montague
    She has nothing relatively positive to say really.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

John Montague
    Longleys the only one ive actually heard of so im up for him..
    ps. i hate poetry lol im dead in 2010:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

Philip Larkin
    keats has to be the best one. I mean he's the only real poet on the course. When you take his poetry you think, yeah grand he's amazing i probably wouldn't be able to write anything as good as that, well done. Whereas with montaque or bishop its like...i honestly think i can come up with better poems than them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Adrienne Rich
    Just started Mahon last week, really digging it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

1. Bishop

2. Rich (just started her and am very impressed. 'Storm Warnings' at the age of 20 is fooking genius IMO). And for people who call her a 'man hater', you might want to read up on the role of women in 1950's America.

3. Montague/Longley

I'm a lad and I'm not gay before you all make your smart comments!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

K4t wrote: »
    1. Bishop

2. Rich (just started her and am very impressed. 'Storm Warnings' at the age of 20 is fooking genius IMO). And for people who call her a 'man hater', you might want to read up on the role of women in 1950's America.

3. Montague/Longley

I'm a lad and I'm not gay before you all make your smart comments!

Yoooor a GAYBO you are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Derek Walcott
    Yoooor a GAYBO you are
    Jesus, I didnt know Gaybo's work is on the course!
    0000d60e0c8r.jpg

EDIT: I hope you don't mind me editing your post... but honestly, 1650x2400? Did the point need to be hammered so far in?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Stop it you pesssssts!

Advertisement