Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is your favourite poet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

Philip Larkin
    well to be honest both montague and bishop are like the worst two on the course, at least from the poets we've done so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

John Montague
    I can tell you that it ain't bishop anyway :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Philip Larkin
    cautioner wrote: »
    No, Rich is a lesbian and a civil rights activist. It's unfair to say things like this, even if not altogether seriously.

Find one quote from Adrienne Rich where she is even indifferent to men.

She is as bad as the men who oppressed her, by taking her feelings and using them to attack. Like a bully who's been bullied, she attacks her husband to the point where he committed suicide, this is my interpretation of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Elizabeth Bishop
    "Next year it would have been 20 years
    and you are wastefully dead
    who might have made the leap
    we talked, too late, of making"...?

Can't say her attacking her husband was ever mentioned in our class, just that she left him and a year later he killed himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

John Montague

She is as bad as the men who oppressed her, by taking her feelings and using them to attack. Like a bully who's been bullied, she attacks her husband to the point where he committed suicide, this is my interpretation of course.

The man has spoken.

• Advertisement

John Montague
    Another question I wanted to ask ye was what kind of format(s) could the questions appear as in June. In class we disscussed this and concluded that it could be any of the following:

Personal Response
    Response to Quote in Question
    Introduction to Poets Poetry
    Talk on a Poets Poetry
    Letter to Poet

Any other possibilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

Adrienne Rich
    I heard Bishop and Keats generally come up as personal responses.
    Ugh, as long as it's not a talk!
    They're even worse than letters to the poet- and what sort of stupid question is that anyway?
    Dear Mr Longley, I love your imaginative imagery, especially in Carrigskeewaun, which I will now quote to you, just in case you've forgotten it. Your relationship with your father is a prominent theme in your work, in case you hadn't noticed...
    Or:
    Dear Elizabeth Bishop, you were born in Massachusetts in 1911...
    HATEHATEHATE!

Elizabeth Bishop
    ^ Lolzez.
    Man, I was just reading my brother's old Poetry Now from the 2006 course, that Thomas Hardy chap knew what he was doing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

Philip Larkin
    They're even worse than letters to the poet- and what sort of stupid question is that anyway?
    Dear Mr Longley, I love your imaginative imagery, especially in Carrigskeewaun, which I will now quote to you, just in case you've forgotten it. Your relationship with your father is a prominent theme in your work, in case you hadn't noticed...
    Or:
    HATEHATEHATE!

Agreed.
    Most retarded question ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

John Keats
    Mario007 wrote: »
    well to be honest both montague and bishop are like the worst two on the course, at least from the poets we've done so far...

Cant disagree what so ever there terrible
    id have to say keats and wallcott are currently my favourite

• Advertisement

Philip Larkin
    JSK 252 wrote: »
    Another question I wanted to ask ye was what kind of format(s) could the questions appear as in June. In class we disscussed this and concluded that it could be any of the following:

Personal Response
    Response to Quote in Question
    Introduction to Poets Poetry
    Talk on a Poets Poetry
    Letter to Poet

Any other possibilities?

you may be asked to discuss the style of writting and imagery of the poet, which is really an awful question.

Philip Larkin
    Cant disagree what so ever there terrible
    id have to say keats and wallcott are currently my favourite

yeah i know, longley for example is pretty weird...ooh my daddy told me this, and my daddy told me that...i really had no life of my own so i'll just tell you all that my daddy told me about...oh yeah and i'll mix it with talking about his teeth or dead buttocks:D

John Montague
    you may be asked to discuss the style of writting and imagery of the poet, which is really an awful question.

Seriously? Thats an odd way of asking a question but in my essays anyway I discuss ideas and image/style in the ratio 70:30 about so Im grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Adrienne Rich
    Just finished Longley, Move over Pip Larkin, I've a new favourite! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Or:
    HATEHATEHATE!
    Good point :D

Although, it does allow you to combine it with your personal response. You can put your own feelings and assumptions regarding the poems to the poets and leave a question mark at the end of your sentence.

I understand peoples' annoyance at Rich's apparent hate of men but you would understand if you were a woman in 1950's America. She was ahead of her time.

Anything Bishop LC 2009 and I'll be a happy boy :)

Philip Larkin
    JSK 252 wrote: »
    Seriously? Thats an odd way of asking a question but in my essays anyway I discuss ideas and image/style in the ratio 70:30 about so Im grand!

yeah one wallcot question i had to do was to comment on wallcot's famous imagery and metaphors used and how they create his famous craft of writing poems

Philip Larkin
    K4t wrote: »
    Good point :D

Although, it does allow you to combine it with your personal response. You can put your own feelings and assumptions regarding the poems to the poets and leave a question mark at the end of your sentence.

I understand peoples' annoyance at Rich's apparent hate of men but you would understand if you were a woman in 1950's America. She was ahead of her time.

Anything Bishop LC 2009 and I'll be a happy boy :)

i don't get how you can like bishop...but then again different people different tastes i guess.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

i don't get how you can like bishop...but then again different people different tastes i guess.:D

"Come," said my mother,
    "Come and say good-bye
    to your little cousin Arthur."
    I was lifted up and given
    one lily of the valley
    to put in Arthur's hand.
    Arthur's coffin was
    a little frosted cake,
    and the red-eyed loon eyed it
    from his white, frozen lake.

Arthur was very small.
    He was all white, like a doll
    that hadn't been painted yet.
    Jack Frost had started to paint him
    the way he always painted
    the Maple Leaf (Forever).
    He had just begun on his hair,
    a few red strokes, and then
    Jack Frost had dropped the brush
    and left him white, forever.

The gracious royal couples
    were warm in red and ermine;
    their feet were well wrapped up
    in the ladies' ermine trains.
    They invited Arthur to be
    the smallest page at court.
    But how could Arthur go,
    clutching his tiny lily,
    with his eyes shut up so tight
    and the roads deep in snow?

Philip Larkin
    K4t wrote: »
    "Come," said my mother,
    "Come and say good-bye
    to your little cousin Arthur."
    I was lifted up and given
    one lily of the valley
    to put in Arthur's hand.
    Arthur's coffin was
    a little frosted cake,
    and the red-eyed loon eyed it
    from his white, frozen lake.

Arthur was very small.
    He was all white, like a doll
    that hadn't been painted yet.
    Jack Frost had started to paint him
    the way he always painted
    the Maple Leaf (Forever).
    He had just begun on his hair,
    a few red strokes, and then
    Jack Frost had dropped the brush
    and left him white, forever.

The gracious royal couples
    were warm in red and ermine;
    their feet were well wrapped up
    in the ladies' ermine trains.
    They invited Arthur to be
    the smallest page at court.
    But how could Arthur go,
    clutching his tiny lily,
    with his eyes shut up so tight
    and the roads deep in snow?

what was that supposed to prove? you just wrote about a poem? even here, where's the internal struggle, the rhyme, the rhythm like in ode on grecian urn, for example? and of course the up lifting feeling that doesnt make us depressed:D

Elizabeth Bishop
    If I had to quote Bishop and aimed to impress, I'd always go for "In the Waiting Room". That poem did strange things to my brain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

John Keats
    That poll is proof, almost everyone hates Walcott. I didn't study him, we did Keats instead, but my teacher told us she has yet to come across a student who liked Walcott!
    Derek is the ****ing man. He'd beat Keats in a fight any time any day. Nuff said.

Adrienne Rich
    George Gordon Byron is my favourite relatively "recent" poet. But, my over all favourite has to be Homer. But, unfortunately, neither are on the course.

Philip Larkin
    cautioner wrote: »
    If I had to quote Bishop and aimed to impress, I'd always go for "In the Waiting Room". That poem did strange things to my brain.

funny i always thought that was her worst poem...it sounded like prose spaced out so that it could pass as a poem by structure alone...

the only good poem by bishop was the armadillo, in my opinion

Philip Larkin
    ChiefBrody wrote: »
    Derek is the ****ing man. He'd beat Keats in a fight any time any day. Nuff said.

i agree walcott is great, not as great as keats, but the second best on the course. i mean walcott tries to rhyme, puts in the rhythm and his endings to the poems are simply epic.
    keats is epicness personified of our course

Elizabeth Bishop
    Oh serious love for The Armadillo. I loved it even before I learned about the Dresden connections. Brilliant.

John Montague
    funny i always thought that was her worst poem...it sounded like prose spaced out so that it could pass as a poem by structure alone...

the only good poem by bishop was the armadillo, in my opinion

I like The Prodigal myself. Alcoholism is a tough issue to talk about if you suffer from it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

And it's also great to write about in a personal response. "As a teenager growing up in Ireland..."

I can't believe so many people voted for Larkin- he does my head in!

Elizabeth Bishop
    I don't get Larkin at all at all. I can hardly even remember any of his poems right now, other than At Grass, because I found it laughably boring.

Seems to me like he was more of a detached observer than someone with something to actually say. But then, he probably speaks volumes to others. C'est la vie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Derek Walcott
    I love Mahon, after the titanic and anatartica are amazing.

****ing hate Bishop, could despise the woman more. If she came up id write a essay saying i hated her

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Guitarist-JEM

Elizabeth Bishop

To be honest..if you were a woman in her time you would feel the same..
    poetry is about expression..
    Rich wrote poetry of truth ..
    women were treated as inferior to men back then and in some ways still are to this day..

It's like the way Martin Luther King stood against racism,
    She is standing against sexism..

I think her poetry's inspiring..

They do not fear the men beneath the tree;
    They pace in sleek chivalric certainty.

Advertisement