Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is your favourite poet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭sukikettle

Emily Dickenson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 UNDER-ACHIEVER

Philip Larkin
    JSK 252 wrote: »
    I liked Siegfried Sasoon myself for the jc and his poem Base Details.

Yerr Siegfried Sasoon is brilliant, suicide in the trenches - what a poem

But for the 'ol LC it has to be KEATS.. pure genious, like give credit where credit is due - he wrote undeniably brilliant poetry full of insight and beauty, in a world that was drenched in despair, grief and suffering. His ability to write such structured poetry at the age of 26 is remarkable in contrast to many poets who are just finding their "voice" at such a young age.

Mahon and Montague come next..

the others dont really feature

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Philip Larkin
    women were treated as inferior to men back then and in some ways still are to this day..

It's like the way Martin Luther King stood against racism,
    She is standing against sexism..

Did you just compare Martin Luther King to a bully? Martin Luther King was an awe inspiring man who took his policies to new levels by non forceful ways. She bullied a man. There's no justification for that. It'd would be the equivalent of King ditching his hypothetical white best friend and degrading him because he was white.
    I think her poetry's inspiring..

Your entitled to your opinion. However, I find her poetry revolting, one dimensional and deluded.
    They do not fear the men beneath the tree;
    They pace in sleek chivalric certainty.

The rest of that poem speaks of hatred for men. That particular quote speaks to me as if she wants to overthrow men and become the dominant sex. Again, nearly as bad as, if not worse than the men who degraded her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Elizabeth Bishop
    Did you just compare Martin Luther King to a bully? Martin Luther King was an awe inspiring man who took his policies to new levels by non forceful ways. She bullied a man. There's no justification for that. It'd would be the equivalent of King ditching his hypothetical white best friend and degrading him because he was white.

Your entitled to your opinion. However, I find her poetry revolting, one dimensional and deluded.

The rest of that poem speaks of hatred for men. That particular quote speaks to me as if she wants to overthrow men and become the dominant sex. Again, nearly as bad as, if not worse than the men who degraded her.

1. Example plz? I honestly can't see this killed-her-husband through poetry thing going on. Is it Trying to Talk With a Man?

2. In fairness, I think you're taking your view of Rich and reading all her work in that one light. Just because it relates to the relationship between men and women doesn't make it anti-man propaganda. When Rich was 21 women were treated in a way barely imaginable today. So I hear. What's wrong with a poem about a downtrodden woman?

Also, oh Brewer, I hope someday we can get past this :pac:

Philip Larkin
    cautioner wrote: »
    1. Example plz? I honestly can't see this killed-her-husband through poetry thing going on. Is it Trying to Talk With a Man?

2. In fairness, I think you're taking your view of Rich and reading all her work in that one light. Just because it relates to the relationship between men and women doesn't make it anti-man propaganda. When Rich was 21 women were treated in a way barely imaginable today. So I hear. What's wrong with a poem about a downtrodden woman?

Also, oh Brewer, I hope someday we can get past this :pac:

It's in the 'Your body is no longer that of a God' poem, there's another quote where either she really kicks the man when he was down, or speaks very very badly of a man who just died. I couldn't be arsed backing up this with a reference, I think i provided one earlier in the thread.

There's nothing wrong with a poem by people who feel they are marginalized, infact it is to be admired. However, she takes it to a whole new level and fails to see any form of moderation in her struggle. She fights fire with stronger fire. When it should have been fought with understanding and reason. However, in my opinion, she reacts like a child.

Edit: This is my last bitch about Rich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

Philip Larkin
    Keats ftw!

Elizabeth Bishop
    It's in the 'Your body is no longer that of a God' poem, there's another quote where either she really kicks the man when he was down, or speaks very very badly of a man who just died. I couldn't be arsed backing up this with a reference, I think i provided one earlier in the thread.

There's nothing wrong with a poem by people who feel they are marginalized, infact it is to be admired. However, she takes it to a whole new level and fails to see any form of moderation in her struggle. She fights fire with stronger fire. When it should have been fought with understanding and reason. However, in my opinion, she reacts like a child.

We'll see past this.. after June. ;)

I think I must have read a totally different selection of Rich poems. Everything you argue plain confuses me. I'm not getting the relevance.

Here's what I take from each poem that I've studied:

Aunt Jennifer's Tigers - Fictional snapshot of a woman oppressed... no? Poor her, etc, I don't feel any KILL THE MAN MEN vibes though.

Storm Warnings - Has nothing to do with gender or sexuality, as far as I can see.

The Roofwalker - Trying to succeed in a trade dominated and crafted by men? I get a feeling of helplessness, despair from this one. Still don't see any allusions to a glorious uprising against the penis-bearers.

Diving Into the Wreck - Casting off roles assigned at birth according to gender, returning to the essence of herself? Basically she's a beslian. A poem about herself and her journey, that's what I see anyway.

Power - Big shout out to Marie Curie. Respeck for being a woman, recognised as outstanding in her field. Not easy back in the day. So I hear.

Philip Larkin
    See my edit ;)

For the record, I studied;

Aunt Jennifer's Tigers
    Living in Sin
    The Uncle Speaks in the Drawing Room
    From a Survivor
    Our Whole Life
    Power

To her credit, she does write well using great imagery to get her points across. Particularly in the the first three poems above. However, she fails to broaden, to divulge and to explore into different areas like other poets and the hatred which she perceives in that poetry is appalling, imo.

Elizabeth Bishop
    To be fair, we're only reading a snippet of any of the poets' works; presumably the SEC picked poems with similar themes for our sake. Longley **** on about his father springs to mind.

Philip Larkin
    cautioner wrote: »
    To be fair, we're only reading a snippet of any of the poets' works; presumably the SEC picked poems with similar themes for our sake. Longley **** on about his father springs to mind.
    Yeah, true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

Philip Larkin
    the only poets we've done so far are
    walcott
    longley
    bishop
    keats
    montague

!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Derek Walcott
    Naasface, you only need to do 5 poets. There are 8 poets, 4 come up every year, if you do 5, you're guaranteed to know at least one of the poets on the paper.

Adrienne Rich
    Naasface, you only need to do 5 poets. There are 8 poets, 4 come up every year, if you do 5, you're guaranteed to know at least one of the poets on the paper.

Just wondering there, if you chose to only cover 4 poets, do you've a 69/70 chance of having a poet you've studied come up (excluding all patterns that occur)? It would be 8Cr4, wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TriciaDelicia

John Keats
    I thought you blew a kiss before you died,
    But the bony fingers that waved to and fro
    were asking for a woodbine, the last request

(Reminds me of my grandad as he lay dying of lung cancer)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Derek Walcott
    Just wondering there, if you chose to only cover 4 poets, do you've a 69/70 chance of having a poet you've studied come up (excluding all patterns that occur)? It would be 8Cr4, wouldn't it?
    Someone worked it out... I loathe probability, so I'm not going to even start. But yeah, they found it was a ridiculously high chance of getting a poet you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Guitarist-JEM

Elizabeth Bishop
    See my edit ;)

For the record, I studied;

Aunt Jennifer's Tigers
    Living in Sin
    The Uncle Speaks in the Drawing Room
    From a Survivor
    Our Whole Life
    Power

To her credit, she does write well using great imagery to get her points across. Particularly in the the first three poems above. However, she fails to broaden, to divulge and to explore into different areas like other poets and the hatred which she perceives in that poetry is appalling, imo.

lol, a single subject can contain many aspects..
    Sexism; quantity of freedom, inferiority, fear, effects of sexism etc.
    It is wrong to say a poet needs to broaden their ideas when a single idea can already be so broad within itself..
    You are entitled to your opinion, but I think you are looking at her poetry from the wrong perspective..you seem to think that she just hates men in general, but that is not the case, she does not hate men she hates the power in which men believe they have/had over women, and the belief that they are the superior gender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 VivaLaVida

Elizabeth Bishop
    I really like Rich and Walcott, and quite like Mahon and Bishop too. Only one I hate is Larkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

John Keats
    walcott is the best.. hope he comes up. but ill probly spend more tie on bishop cos shes a cert to come up..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

John Montague
    JSK 252 wrote: »
    My predictions for June:

Longley
    Bishop
    Keats
    Walcott

My prophecies are so far correct with the 2 pree papers! Only June to follow.:p ( Could onky post now because of the mocks being over for everybody! )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

TBH my fav poet is Seamus Heaney.!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Derek Walcott
    Raymond Carver for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

John Montague
    Podge2k7 wrote: »
    TBH my fav poet is Seamus Heaney.!

same. wish we got to do that for the leaving.

fairly evens stevens at the moment in the poll!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dish

John Montague
    Longley def!

Hated the others, Walcott isnt bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Bishop and Walcott are my favourites. I find myself able to identify with both of them quite easily :)

I hate most Irish poets and writers. They're a shower of depressing, moany bastards. And don't get me started on Adrienne Riche. She is a horrible poet who ought to learn how to structure sentences properly.

Longley has to be the worst... Only because most of the poems are on Northern Ireland, which I'm sick to death of hearing about. The only poem I like by him is an Amish Rug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭i'm a smiler

John Montague
    Well, tbh I don't exactly love poetry but i like Montague the most. Longley and Bishop are grand too. Cannot stand Rich though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hopeful_girl

all im learning is bishop and longley.

fingers crossed bishop

she is awesome =D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

Philip Larkin
    Keats is by far my favourite, I guess it helped that I had read several of his poems before we did him in class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭tattoodublin

Derek Mahon
    :o Im my favorite poet

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Philip Larkin
    :pac: Keats is now my favourite poet from the LC course. He's great and so easy to write about.

Hope he comes up in the LC, definitely writing about him. If not, Bishop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Derek Walcott
    Gloom wrote: »
    :pac: Keats is now my favourite poet from the LC course. He's great and so easy to write about.

Hope he comes up in the LC, definitely writing about him. If not, Bishop.
    Aaagh, hes my favourite too, but I cant write about him for shit!!
    Mahon's my second favourite, but hes not looking likely!

Advertisement