Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry storm on o2

• 09-12-2008 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I recently got a blackberry storm 9500 from my sis which was an unwanted upgrade. It was locked to vodafone and i managed to unlock it for use on o2. The phone works fine makes and recieves calls nicely. I noticed when i put my sim into the phone that the browser menu had disappeared. I can't recieve texts either. Does anyone know how i could sort out the problems experienced. I've tried to send an opera mini link to the phone via text but it never arrived. I'd really like to get it working properly 'cause it's a savage machine - even syncs with itunes...unreal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

martincodd wrote: »
    I recently got a blackberry storm 9500 from my sis which was an unwanted upgrade. It was locked to vodafone and i managed to unlock it for use on o2. The phone works fine makes and recieves calls nicely. I noticed when i put my sim into the phone that the browser menu had disappeared. I can't recieve texts either. Does anyone know how i could sort out the problems experienced. I've tried to send an opera mini link to the phone via text but it never arrived. I'd really like to get it working properly 'cause it's a savage machine - even syncs with itunes...unreal.

Throw a Voda sim into it just to ensure it is not a problem with the phone.

There should be no issues with it once it is unlocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Blackberrys are a bit different from other phones when you unlock them. Even when they are unlocked, you can only use the email, maps and browser apps when a SIM card belonging to the original network is put in. You can get Opera Mini, Google Maps and a GMail app to replace them, though I'm not sure if there are versions of these for the Storm yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 An Scoil Dlí

Hi,

Unless you subscribe to the Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) the the phone wont operate as a "Wireless Handheld"

You need to ask O2 to provision BIS at a cost of €20 ex vat per-month for the browser or email to work. This is a licence requirement set by RIM.

You can however, use the g-mail app for mail but you will need to install this via BB DeskTop Manager.

Also, BlackBerry wont work on pre-pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Also, BlackBerry wont work on pre-pay.

Is this correct? Would it not just be crippled as already described?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 An Scoil Dlí

hi

sorry, when I say it wont work on pre-pay I mean it wont function as a BlackBerry.

You will have calls in/out / sms etc, but you wont have the famous "Push Email" or web-browsing.

I think you can only have google mail installed (for emails).

PS - I tried my curve on an O2 pre-pay sim and had the very same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭missyfirefly

Yup you need to have provisioning for any data services to work... Not sure how it looks on the storm but on the 8110 if you have GPRS or EDGE in lower case it means that your BlackBerry data services are not active.

When you get the BIS service activated you'd then need to register on o2mail.ie to have the O2 Internet Settings sent ota to the device (service Books) you'd also may need to delete the voda service books from the device but the O2 ones should overide this. Service books can be found in Options > Advanced Options > Service Books.

Oh yea and pre-pay doesn't have the blackberry platform so only voice and sms, no mms, browsing or push.

Hope this helps!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 axofbutter

i recently bought a Storm 9500 and yesterday subscribed to O2 BIS data plan. however until now, still don't get my BB Storm to function as it should (getting email, browser and other stuffs that a normal BB should do). i just have the call and sms function. I wonder if O2 does not support BB OS 4.7 as storm runs on 4.7. anyone has any idea? should i change to Voda instead? :confused:

p/s: other blackberry that O2 offers, such as BOLD run on OS4.6...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

axofbutter wrote: »
    i recently bought a Storm 9500 and yesterday subscribed to O2 BIS data plan. however until now, still don't get my BB Storm to function as it should (getting email, browser and other stuffs that a normal BB should do). i just have the call and sms function. I wonder if O2 does not support BB OS 4.7 as storm runs on 4.7. anyone has any idea? should i change to Voda instead? :confused:

p/s: other blackberry that O2 offers, such as BOLD run on OS4.6...

As mentioned previously, Blackberries, even when unlocked, won't let you use the email, browser or maps functions unless you are using a SIM card belonging to the network it was originally connected to. It's ridiculous, I know!:rolleyes: I asked this question on a Blackberry forum and couldn't believe it when they told me!

I have found one exception to this though. A Blackberry originally connected to O2-UK will work fully with an O2-IRL SIM. It must treat them as the same network or something.

oh...think i should cancel my newly signed contract with O2 then..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

If you upgrade the firmware on the handset to the generic kind and not the branded vodafone or O2 services it should solve your problem.

• Advertisement

thanks daryll,

i have just cancelled my account with O2 just now. it's really a frustrating day for me. :(. i really wanted to use my blackberry storm on O2 so that i can use my BB storm to the fullest...but unfortunately, the guy in O2 said, they cannot do anything to help. it's just O2 'not compatible' to be used with BB storm and vice versa.

i called the guys in vodafone as well, and they say the same thing. (i don't want to use voda because it's just too expansive!)

anyway...things happen.

hey daryll, how can i install generic OS? where can i get it?

thanks again:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Im unsure how you do it on other phone models, but for the Nokias your better going to the Nokia Repair Centers who will give you the latest firmware which you wont be able to get. They can also debrand your phone for you.

You can do the above yourself but its a bit more awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

I am not too sure myself but I know there are some guys on our forum that should be able to help you out. Here is a link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 martincodd

Got my BB Storm working perfectly on O2. All features work fine. It's a great phone from a 3G point of view. The speed dial is very annoying though - i.e. calling the wrong number from time to time. It really is a smashing piece of machinery. Gotta get rid of that annoying Vodafone logo on the bottom though somehow...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 czwdublin

Got my BB Storm working perfectly on O2. All features work fine.

can you tell me what have you done?
    i have a same problem, and i'd like to solve it very soon :)

thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Paudie'o

Hi

Can you tell me if your using Push mail with an o2 Ireland sim i'm looking to buy the BB Storm from a mate of mine and its on vodafone

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

Any idea how I can do this to my blackberry storm. Its on a vodafone network but i'm using a 02 sim.

All suggestions appreciated :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Harry 1985

Hi All,

i bought a blackberry storm from vodafone, and i want to unlock it because i need to use it on o2 network. Was wondering if anyone could help me out in unlocking it for free...
    would be really appreciated ...
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Harry 1985 wrote: »
    Hi All,

i bought a blackberry storm from vodafone, and i want to unlock it because i need to use it on o2 network. Was wondering if anyone could help me out in unlocking it for free...
    would be really appreciated ...
    thanks

Please read the forum rules - there is a specific thread for unlocking at the top of the forum. It is the only place for unlocking questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pjsandhu

Got my BB Storm working perfectly on O2. All features work fine. It's a great phone from a 3G point of view. The speed dial is very annoying though - i.e. calling the wrong number from time to time. It really is a smashing piece of machinery. Gotta get rid of that annoying Vodafone logo on the bottom though somehow...;)

Hi Martincodd, I just stumble upon your tread and was wondering if you could tell me how you managed to get the phone working on 02/ I just moved from the US and my phone is a verizon phone, it works fine on 02 with calls and sms but kepps highlighting activation required by 02. Is there anyway you could help out here. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement