Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty books?

Options
  • 09-12-2008 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

A bit of an odd question but I've had a look around and can't find an answer (though maybe I'm not asking the question in the right way for google). Can you return a book as faulty in the event that there are a significant number of typographical errors and, if so, how do you determine them to be a significant number?

I ask because I bought two omnibus volumes of a favourite story recently and the number of typos is really detracting from my enjoyment of them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm not sure... but it would be a refund you'd be looking for as opposed to a repair or a replacement, because I'm assuming all the other books would be the same??

Maybe email the publishers and highlight the issue with them? Their proof-reader may need to be sacked!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I'm not sure... but it would be a refund you'd be looking for as opposed to a repair or a replacement, because I'm assuming all the other books would be the same??

What's wrong with typex??

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

A long time ago, I bought a book that contained lots of similar errors. It was a TV show accompaniment book. Some of the character descriptions were wrong, one or two of the episode descriptions were cut off mid sentence, etc. Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed, as it wasn't cheap, and it was an official merchandise product of the show.

The publisher details were on the book, so I wrote them a letter detailing some of the errors, and how disappointed I was in the quality of their product. A short while later they sent back a letter of apology, thanking me for noting the errors, and another book (a different one) from the series by way of apology.

So, in summary, it's worth writing to the publisher and telling them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I once bought a book online where a number of the pages were blank!!!
    Emailed the publishers to look for a return and replace but it was out of stock so they refunded me and said to hang on to the book!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It's surprising how often that happens, usually the publisher is aware of the issue and a replacement is no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I bought a book once where several pages were missing ie pages 75 - 98 were missing. I wrote directly to the publishers and received a new book gratis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Gillo wrote: »
    What's wrong with typex??

It doesn't have a y in it.

Advertisement