Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I take a test on a 125 ?

• 09-12-2008 12:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭

Evening folks. I'm just about to spring for a ybr 125 - both the missus and I are on a provisional licence, and both will be taking our tests as soon as is sensible.

Anyway, trawling for info, I came across the following thread on the biker.ie forum

http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=43763

Post #10 says that you need a 250cc to take the test. Is that true ?

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭GBX

You can take a test on a 125, but you will only be then fully licensed on the 125 with an A1 license. If you take the test on anything bigger than a 125, you can then ride any bike - albeit restricted for 2 years after.

Ive a YBR125 and there a great bike. Ill be doing my test on a mates 250cc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭uncle betty

GBX wrote: »
    You can take a test on a 125, but you will only be then fully licensed on the 125 with an A1 license. If you take the test on anything bigger than a 125, you can then ride any bike - albeit restricted for 2 years after.

Ive a YBR125 and there a great bike. Ill be doing my test on a mates 250cc.

I never knew ! Many thanks for the quick reply.

No probs at all.

Which provisional are you on? As far as I know on a car provisional, you can only ride a moped. If this is all you have, you will need to do the bike theory test and apply for an A provisional license as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭uncle betty

No probs at all.

Which provisional are you on? As far as I know on a car provisional, you can only ride a moped. If this is all you have, you will need to do the bike theory test and apply for an A provisional license as well.

We're both taking the motorbike theory test. So what you're saying is we should apply for category 'A', not 'A1', such that we can take the test on a 250 ?

Everybody tells me differently re the L tabards, the category we need, the cc size of engine is important/irrelevant/actually it's the horsepower/no it's kilowatts now... :eek::D

Anyway, thanks again !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No probs at all.

You can't ride anything on a car provisional. And since Oct 2006 you can't ride a moped on a full car licence. You can only ride a moped on a full car licence issued before Oct 2006.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

slap a '250' sticker on the tank. you only have to produce a valid licence on the day of the test, i think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ambasite wrote: »
    slap a '250' sticker on the tank. you only have to produce a valid licence on the day of the test, i think..

They ask what type of bike are you using and I'd hazard a guess that the testers know the difference between a 125 or 250. You can hire a 250 off one of the driving schools to do the test, it's easier then lying:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Del2005 wrote: »
    They ask what type of bike are you using and I'd hazard a guess that the testers know the difference between a 125 or 250. You can hire a 250 off one of the driving schools to do the test, it's easier then lying:D
    The tester won't have a clue! My mate asked the tester what he drove and he said he never drove a bike in his life! But a sticker saying 250 mightn't look authentic.
    It's the same when they ask if it's restricted, just say yes, sign the paper, the testers don't care as long as you sign the page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

We're both taking the motorbike theory test.

Ah crap! I have a full car license and have done a theory test for it already, do i have to do another one for a bike before I can get my provis a/a1 license?

We're both taking the motorbike theory test. So what you're saying is we should apply for category 'A', not 'A1', such that we can take the test on a 250 ?

Everybody tells me differently re the L tabards, the category we need, the cc size of engine is important/irrelevant/actually it's the horsepower/no it's kilowatts now... :eek::D

Anyway, thanks again !

When you pass your theory test, apply for the A license. If you apply for the just the A1 provo license, thats what you'll get. I applied for the A and got it. If you apply for an A you have then the option to use a bigger bike than a 125cc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Timmaay wrote: »
    Ah crap! I have a full car license and have done a theory test for it already, do i have to do another one for a bike before I can get my provis a/a1 license?
    Yes, (and it's a Learner Permit now ;)).

If you were issued the category B licence prior to October 2006, you may legally ride a moped.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Red Hornet

U can take ur test on a 125 but the full licence will only apply to 125 motorcycles.

Advertisement