Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Sticky

Options
  • 09-12-2008 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭

How about a Sticky for all WHV details? There seems to be a LOT of threads about them.

Info - (off the top of my head. Im expecting errors so I will edit later)

1. How long does it take to get a working holiday visa (WHV) and how much?
    If you apply through the Oz govt site (http://www.immi.gov.au/) and everything checks out OK, then 48 hours. It costs AUD$195.

2. When am I eligible for the WHV?
    Up until you turn 31.

3. What documents will I need coming into Oz?
    You will need passport, printed out VISA, and proof you have AUS$3,500.

4. Can I leave Oz and come back within the VISA year?
    You can leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid.

5. What are the rules pertaining to work/study on the WHV?
    You can work for any 1 company for 6 months. You can also study for up to 4 months.

6. Can I extend the VISA to a 2nd year?
    You can apply for a 2nd Year WHV as long as you have done 3 months specified work in Regional Australia. eg fruit picking, construction, farming.

7. If I complete my 1-year WHV and want to go back, but have not done the 3 months specified work, can I apply for another WHV?
    No, you will need to apply for a different visa, eg skilled migrant. (Some people have applied for the 1st year WHV twice and been successful, as not all applications are checked against a prior visa)

Any more to add? I'm sure I left out loads!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

A very helpful post - but you haven't mentioned that it is the Aus WHV visa you are talking about. The NZ WHV has different rules.

Tbh, that is why I am reluctant to have a sticky on WHV or visas in general (which I had thought about before) as as I think it would cause a lot of confusion between the two countries and different visas.

I've already seen a number of posts where people have confused the two visas or even thought that because they have one they can't get the other. I'm not sure how many people actually read stickies anyway are so I think it might be best to keep posts separate for the moment. If there is a lot of posts like this one then maybe in future two separate Aus visas/NZ visas threads might be a good idea. We'll see how we go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

regarding proof of the €3500 , does it have to be in an irish bank acc, an aussie bank acc. or just a recent statement from my aib account , my partner shall be coming also, but the cash is in my account, will i need to transfer 3500 to her acc. so she will not get any hassle on the way in.

cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

daftdave wrote: »
    regarding proof of the €3500 , does it have to be in an irish bank acc, an aussie bank acc. or just a recent statement from my aib account , my partner shall be coming also, but the cash is in my account, will i need to transfer 3500 to her acc. so she will not get any hassle on the way in.

cheers guys.

They rarely ever check for proof of this, this is really just a safeguard to insure people are coming over with some kind of money to insure they will not do anything dodgy. a photocopy of a bank statement will do fine, if the slight chance they ask that.

There are a lot of illegals from Asia/Middle east that live here, so they regularly check people they suspect (usually not on a WHV) will work illegally, they ask them for proof of money and when someone is holidaying and only has e.g. $500, this will raise flags as a possible illegal worker.

this is what the website actually says
    You must have access to sufficient funds to support yourself for the initial stage of your holiday. Generally, AUD$5,000 may be regarded as sufficient, but the amount may vary depending on your length of stay and the extent of your travel. You should also have a return or onward ticket or the funds for a fare to depart Australia.

You may be asked to provide evidence. Evidence may include a certified copy of a bank statement and an air ticket out of Australia.

This question pops up fairly regularly and the answer is the same, no one gets asked, but $5000 is 2,500euro, and you shouldn't really come to Oz on anything else in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

panic attack by me!

I just want to double check!!!!

I got the WHV a few weeks before my 31st birthday last April.

So, I have 1 year to use it from when I get it right?

So, if I arrive , for example, on the 1st of February 2009 in Perth, I would have 1 year to stay in the country from that day...

If all else fails, go to Canada :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

BarryCreed wrote: »
    panic attack by me!
    So, if I arrive , for example, on the 1st of February 2009 in Perth, I would have 1 year to stay in the country from that day...

correct it is valid up to one year from when you recieve it and for one year on teh day you arrive

e.g. if you are granted your visa on 11/12/08
    you have until the 11/12/09 to arrive in Oz
    and on the day you arrive you visa begins, so if arrive on 1/2/09 it is valid until 1/2/10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

*phew*

Advertisement