Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boliva travel Journeys

• 09-12-2008 5:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi All,

I will be in Boliva in April for 16 Days and just lookng for advice on the best way to travel these journey + length

Lake Titicaca La Paz Plan to spend 2 Days Lake Titicaca and 5 La Paz
    La Paz to Uyuni Salt Flats Plan 4 Days for Salt Lakes
    Uyuni Salt Flats to Sucre & Potosi 2 Days Sucre & Potosi
    Sucre & Potosi to Santa Cruz and 3 days Santa Cruz

I am planning buses might fly one of the journeys to have extra time. Which would be the best 1 to fly.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

hey. in bolivia at the mo and yup that sounds good. only i would do the lake in a day and give yourself an extra night in la paz. Stay in copacabana the night before get up at 7.30am see all 3 islands and be on your way to la paz on the last bus at 6.30pm. unless u wanna stay on isla del sol. most people do it in a day and is sufficient if u ask me.

salt flats is cool with 4 days. u have the option of a 3 day tour too but i reckon go with the four.

didn't make it to potosi but if you only have a day altitude sickness might **** you up! sure what harm.

was only in santa cruz for 2 days so didnt see it was on my way to the jungle.

good luck with it anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Only thing I'd add would be that though you are allowing 4 days for the Salt Flats (I only did 3, wish I did 4), you don't seem to be allowing for the time it takes to get down there.

I vaguely recall that it's a 14 hour bus ride. Could be wrong. As with all bus rides, when possible, you should get night buses therefore saving on time and a nights accomodation.

So, unless you have your Salt Flats tour prebooked, your 4 days for Salt Flats will actually involve 5 days. The treks leave early (6/7ish) so you'll need to be there the night before. Also, the day you get back, you prob won't get back to Uyuni til afternoon (at least) and so the earliest you'd be in your next destination would be the next morning.

So e.g. you want to do a 4 day trek starting on a Monday, then you need to be in Uyuni on the Sunday. But you won't be back in Uyuni til the Thursday and therefore won't be in your next destination (Potosi) til the Friday. So that's Sunday to Friday taken up.

Also, you should book your bus ticket for going to Potosi before you go on the trek. So book it Sunday evening. Always be thinking of your next destination while you still have loads of time in your current location and that way you'll use your time efficiently.

Finally, if you can afford one flight, I think the La Paz to Uyuni route is the one to fly. It's supposed to be hell. But you'd still obviously need to be in Uyuni the day before your trek - at least. Bear in mind you'll have to look around the town for a trek that suits you. The town's not that big though, so it's a quick walk around but by the time you talk to each tour company, it'll be night time.

Hope my post isn't too confusing.

Advertisement