Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 Red Rings

• 09-12-2008 7:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Just traded in a few games for the new COD today ....

Left the room while game was on & return to 2 red rings ... Doing the usual search as most of you have done, and I read all the horror stories.

Will be ringing MS later today ... But Im stranded, no way will I get d xbox back in time for chrimbo.

Either I go out and buy another basic console & transfer my HDD or give xbox the 2 fingers and buy a PS3. Why are so many xbox's showing faults ... Never had probs with my ps2 etc etc. Conspiracy ...

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Check the video cables, and remember it's MS so just turn it off and on again and you should be good to go again.

It's not dead yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Nam_Man

Ive left it off for about 8 hours, switch it on ... And within 30 seconds ... It goes again!!

Ohhh its only 8mths old ... So would the shop give me a replacement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Nam_Man wrote: »
    Ive left it off for about 8 hours, switch it on ... And within 30 seconds ... It goes again!!

Ohhh its only 8mths old ... So would the shop give me a replacement?

Welcome to the wonders of X-box ownership. I'm on my third. My latest X-box elite was collected by UPS yesterday, it'll be a min of 3 weeks before I get it back. And I was on the verge of completing Fallout too!!!! B*stards!!

Got to be philosophical I'm afraid, unlikely your shop will replace it, but no harm in giving them a ring, getting on your knees and begging like a poodle..has been known to work.

Hang in there, you will get through this! :) My X-boxes are averaging about 8-9 months in terms of lifespan, so in the grand scheme you've done OK!

Cheers ... 3 weeks ... Arrrggghhhh!

So today! Ring MS ...

Buy another xbox or PS3!! Hmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

how come so many of them seem to be dying. I know a few people with them and never heard about them dying until i seen it on hear. Anyone any rough percentage on the amount that need to be sent back

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    how come so many of them seem to be dying. I know a few people with them and never heard about them dying until i seen it on hear. Anyone any rough percentage on the amount that need to be sent back

Many reasons, but the long and the short of it appears to be that Microsoft rushed the 360 out to try and corner the market, bypassing alot of the usual quality control checks. Here's the best article I've come across on the subject, fascinating, have a read:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/nov/13/xbox-truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

toomevara wrote: »
    Many reasons, but the long and the short of it appears to be that Microsoft rushed the 360 out to try and corner the market, bypassing alot of the usual quality control checks. Here's the best article I've come across on the subject, fascinating, have a read:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/nov/13/xbox-truth
    Interesting read alright. I only got mine a few days ago so i presume mine is one of the new batch. As long as i dont throw it around it should be grand lol

seanybiker wrote: »
    Interesting read alright. I only got mine a few days ago so i presume mine is one of the new batch. As long as i dont throw it around it should be grand lol

Hmm.... I'm sure I said precisely that about my last X-Box Elite (the alleged sorted one)! Good luck with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

A little off-topic but I had an interesting day last Friday with my Xbox.

I had the day taken off work and I needed to use up all my holiday before the end of the year and planned on having a lazy Xbox day.

So the evening before I went off and bought Left 4 Dead to play on Live, and that Friday morning I decided to buy a 120GB drive to rreplace the 20GB one.

I hooked up the drive and transfer cable, then put the transfer disc in the drive, just heard two clicks and the disc didn't read.

I tried Left 4 Dead, same thing. Tried GTA IV, same thing.

At this stage I was p*ssed, a new game to play, a new 120GB hard drive, Christmas approaching with two games I'm saving for that period (Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2), and the f**king thing stops working!!

Was trying to create a thread on this forum and ring MS at the same time, thankfullly by fooling around with it after being talked through things by MS, it started working again!

The joys of 360 ownership! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

two rings means overheating or cables aren't connected correctly. Make sure your power brick cables and a/v cables are all in snug. best way is to unplug everything and plug it all back in.

Is your 360 well ventilated. Not too close to other hardware. Do you have your 360 lying down or standing on its side?

• Advertisement

Xbox hasnt moved from its spot since i bought it ... Works perfectly all 8 mths old.

Lying down ...

Leads all checked, left for several hours cooling period, just get into xbox dashboard, sounds of a jet plane taking off & it knocks itself off.

Now ... One question Ive read somewhere has got me thinking!!

# Ive always had the powerbrick on standby #

If I buy another basic xbox 360 and use its powerbrick it may be the cause, if not I have a standby console for christmas use! And if this packs in on me b4 I get the old one back ....

Its Heeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooo ... PS3!!

Advertisement