Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cars being sold next year.

Options
  • 09-12-2008 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

Its going to be a bad few years coming in the industry. Will anyone here actually buy a new car? We sold a brand new one yesterday day, 08:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My boss wants to change my role which is putting a swing on a demotion really. Im going to tell him that I need an estate or SUV to do my job so I will be haggling him for a 2009 vehicle.

My dad was going to buy but said he would wait because nobody wanted to know about his 2004 megane. He cannot buy a new car without getting rid of this. Two adults do not need 3 cars.(mum has one also)

I stoped yesterday in Charleville to look at the new Laguna Coupe on the forecourt in Charleville. I would never buy one but I liked the back end of it. The sales people were out like flies to ****. I could see the bitter disappointment in their faces when I said I really was just looking at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

There will always be a volume of trade sales - hire cars and sales reps. I doubt they will be at the level they have been at historically but they will be there. Likewise there are people who haven't been or won't be affected by the crash. There are some wealthy retired people with money in guaranteed pensions or savings for example who trade on every three or four years, or people with counter cyclical companies who will do well from a few years of recession.

So yes there will be cars sold next year. But it'll be a small fraction of even this years low numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Plug wrote: »
    We sold a brand new one yesterday day, 08:D

Not doubting you at all but who buys a new 08 car in December? :confused:

--amadeus-- has answered this well but it's not something most people would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

We have about 30-35 orders in for January... Happy days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

micmclo wrote: »
    Not doubting you at all but who buys a new 08 car in December? :confused:

I bought a 00 car in November of 00. I had to wait three months for it, and I needed it, so I wan't going to wait another two. It was a Fiat, and I kept it for seven years, so it was worth very little in the finish, and depreciation was not such a big worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

We have about 30-35 orders in for January... Happy days...

Currently sitting at 44 (beat ya) :P

By the end of November last year there were 59 on order for January :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

I won't be buying in the new year. Usually I buy cars around 3 years old, and I'm due to change next year but I think I will hold onto what I have for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

There will always be a volume of trade sales - hire cars and sales reps. I doubt they will be at the level they have been at historically but they will be there. Likewise there are people who haven't been or won't be affected by the crash. There are some wealthy retired people with money in guaranteed pensions or savings for example who trade on every three or four years, or people with counter cyclical companies who will do well from a few years of recession.

So yes there will be cars sold next year. But it'll be a small fraction of even this years low numbers.

I was hell bent on getting new car for myself, cash ready and all but the trade in was so abismal on my 06 focus (9500) that it just wasn't any sense. Yes i could pay for the change but its gone beyond luxury spend, its silly waste spend so keeping the car and getting myself some other items, big tv etc.

Advertisement