Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riots in Greece

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Stones85

Is Freddy the dad out of "my big fat greek wedding"? Everything originates in Greece.:p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Gus (The dad) isn't made-up. It's quite accurate a portrayal.

My mother's Greek, she's a combination between Gus and Aunt Voula. After I finally saw MBFGW, I sent my dad an email basically saying "I never realised what you went through to marry her..."

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Why do I use the word ******... Let me tell ya something, If a black person wants to use that word is an not an offense, if a white yes it is... why?
    Not particularly intelligent there. "******" is a term of abuse for black people by white people, when black people use it themselves they are reclaiming it as their word... it still doesn't give white people the right to use it derogatorily. I can't see how it would give them the right.
    More than the half of the world is racist.
    Oh is it?
    Why you don't go to promote multiculturalism in middle East? Did you know the people in these countries don't want no natives in their land.
    Could you elaborate?
    We must stay united towards mass immigration. Immigration should be limited only within the EU. Illegals out...
    There should be controls on mass immigration, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

We must stay united towards mass immigration. Immigration should be limited only within the EU. Illegals out...
    Then remove all Greeks from Astoria, New York. I know plenty of illegal aliens of Greek origin in America too, you should insist that they leave and come back to Greece to fulfill their Army obligations.

Freddy, I'll tell you something that you'll enjoy, even though you are banned. I am not Greek but I have lived there for many years, learned the language by reading the Metro stations' translations of their stops and by conversing with periptero workers where I bought my groceries and retsina. I have paid money into the tax system and I really love the place, I loved the place so much I left a good job in Ireland to go there and had no job when I got there, I would have been happy working in Macdonalds.

And the boss of my new job admired me greatly for this. This boss was a wealthy, canny, elderly, wise man. He told me with a straight face: "Gorthie, you are more Greek than most Greek men. While all Greek men want to leave Greece for a better life in Europe, America or Australia - you love Greece so much that you gave up so much to live here". I was quite touched by that.

Freddy, you're not actually living in Greece are you? I guess you must be looking for a better life elsewhere. It's a shame that someone with your opinions is being so hypocritical by not even living in his own country.

I have seen a lot of footage of these anarchists, and I've even been in one particular march where the police tried to scare us by nearly knocking us over with their motorbikes and throwing tear gas everywhere. All of the people causing the problems were of Greek origin. They were all young Greek kids, max 35 years old. I know this because I was walking around amongst them while simultaneously trying to get the hell away from them. Why the rioting is happening is cause for debate but who is causing the firebombed shops and lasered cops - it's young Greek men. Freddy seems to suggest that it is immigrants, but maybe he is saying that immigrants are the underlying reasons for unrest?

Just realised that the word anarchy stems from Greek. Without leader/ruler to be precise. Did Greece create democracy and anarchy?!

Advertisement