Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a job in current market

Options
  • 09-12-2008 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Would leaving a job in the current market be crazy?

I am in a fairly good job but I dont think I fit the company profile. I am a hard worker but my present employer expectations are just incredible. I often work late hours and then take home my work with me. Tbh the place is actually making me sick and only last week I got sick before I came to work... I think I have actually become an emotional wreck due to it and I am generally a happy person.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Aloysius Flyte

In a word YES

There is a recession on.

Unless you have a specific skillset that is still very much in demand, I would not even consider leaving a job before I had a neww job, AND had done my research on the new company.

Working long hours and stress is something that most of us will have to put up with to get us out of the recession.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Life is too short - move on.

...at the end of the day, you're not going to starve to death, are you?

Your health is your wealth, and if your current job is affecting it, it's time to move.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

Both of the previous posters are correct. Life is too short to be doing a job that makes you unhappy, but finding a job in the current climate could be very difficult. So I guess you need to decide if you would be happier being unemployed (it is possible) than in your current job.

If you're happy to take that risk then off you go and leave your job. But I think anyone who leaves a job with out having another lined up and ready to go is nuts particularly in the current economic climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am in exactly your situation. I want out of my current job so badly, I'm really sick of the endless hours, the rubbish that comes from my bosses, and I want my life back.
    My attitude is that there may be a recession, but I could stay in this job for the next 5 years, going nowhere and losing the best years of my life to it, just because "there's a recession".It just doesn't hold up as a good enough reason for me.
    Basically, I'm job hunting as much as possible. There's not a huge amount out there, but I'm looking and trying. I will hold on here til I can get something/until they let me go, whichever comes first, but ether way, I'm not staying here any longer than I have to, recession or no recession. Life's too short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

I am in a similar situation - working crazy hours, taking work home and tbh it is so not worth it. I 'report to' someone who does not speak to me and the whole set up is ludicrous. I am so stressed in the year I have been here I have been put on antidepressants.

Having said that, I have 2 kids and a mortgage and they come first. I will look for a new job and no way will I leave this one until I have something definite to go to. I dont like my job but at the end of the day it pays the bills and keeps food on the table.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭ALFIET

In reality we are not paid to like our jobs or our companies although it does help to enjoy it! we are paid to turn up and do our work. Stress, nasty bosses and extra workload and hours were the norm even in boom times but in recessionary times, please do not leave a job until you have one lined up.

the old adage of "its easier to get a job when you have a job" is so true

Accept that you dont like the place you work and that it is not going to change. Sometimes our stress comes from frustration at not being able to change our environment. So then take control and look proactively for alternative work elsewhere. But please research your next employer to ensure you are the right fit.

You could be a brilliant worker and if the company isnt right it doesnt matter how good you are.

But my advise is not to jump ship without another job

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

If it's making you sick and stressed - you need to work out a simple equation:
    Is the money you are earning, and the lack of time you have to spend it, worth more to you than the stress of your job, the hours you are investing in work, and the sickness your work is causing.

You may or may not want to factor the possibility that the stress you are under could contribute to a long term illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Find a job before you leave. But get out for your health's sake. Oh, and stop taking work home.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Tells

For the OP, I was in the same position as yourself a couple of years back.
    I tried reasoning with my boss but it got me nowhere. I tried to make some changes but it wasn't going to happen.
    Finally plucked up the courage to leave even without a new job lined up!!
    Didn't have much savings nor too many commitments but I was happier than I had ever been, great relief..

Best thing I ever did.
    Try to make some changes first, if not stick out at least until the new year and make a fresh start.

Good luck.

Heh, this thread could have been started by me! I am in the same position as you op, although your situation sounds a bit worse.
    I have to drive ridiculously long journeys, I never have a lunch break and sometimes have to do a load of work in not near enough time to do it.
    But I spent a year on the dole before I got this job and didn't enjoy it one bit either.
    Just be aware that that's the position you will be in if you leave without another job lined up.
    I sympathise,It's a catch 22 situation really, I don't know what to tell you.

• Advertisement

Just an a brief update.

Still in the job! Not a lot of improvement to to be honest. My probation has been extended for another 3 months! Apparantely working all the hours under the sun but not staying late at certain times i.e. New Years Eve - I left at 8.30 was good enough... On the look out now for any type of job to get me out of here. So unhappy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

If you have no debts, no mortgage and a bit of savings, I would seriously consider handing in your notice today.

The dole is over €200 per week, and your rent is covered. You can live on €200 a week.

I have very little personal debt but have a mortgage that is the only thing keeping me here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Whatever you do, don't quit your job without another one lined up. I've friends who've lost their jobs and don't look like getting another anytime soon. It's all well and good to say your sanity's going and your employers are horrible but can you face spending day after day at home, trying to fill the hours? I've been that soldier and after a few months on the dole I would have happily shoveled dung in the sewers of London. Anything to be back earning my own money and to have somewhere to go every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

If the job is causing you to take antidepressants and other adverse health reactions I would take all the steps necessary to leave it.
    It may be that you are working too hard and too long hours to be effective in your jobhunt. It may also be that there is no alternative employment for you out there at the moment.
    If you continue, trapped in a lousy job with bad working relationship with your "superiors" then one day you will explode emotionally, bad things will be said and bad decisions will be made.
    You will lose.
    Start looking for an alternative now. Do courses and extend your skills and qualifications as far as you can to make your self marketable.
    Offer competitors in your field your services for less money if necessary but get away from an abusive, exploitative boss-worker relationshiip such as you are now in.
    Look at what your fellow employees are doing in terms of hours worked and concessions made to this overbearing boss, are they in the same situation?
    Does he give you enough time to think things through and improve your lot?
    Some bosses love to keep their underlings so hectically busy that they have no time to pursue career changing courses or other ways of getting on in their jobs. With unemployment as a constant threat, this is a form of economic terrorism which will become more common as the recession bites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 anonymous2009

AARRRGH wrote: »
    If you have no debts, no mortgage and a bit of savings, I would seriously consider handing in your notice today.

The dole is over €200 per week, and your rent is covered. You can live on €200 a week.

Can you point me in the direction of a website that says you can get €200 per week AND your rent covered? I have just been made redundant (horrible word) and it was my understanding that you had to pay rent OUT of your dole.. thx

I wish you good luck getting something else soon.

I just resigned from my job cause they are horrible people and the way the place is run is awful!

I was worried about getting another job but managed to get an amazing job and start the Monday after I finish!

What sector would you be looking to get a job in?

So it can be done, best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

I wish you the best of luck if you give up the job!!

I gave mine up because it's a really bad place to work for, even though I got good experience.

The experience stood to me though cause I just got a job as editor and am thrilled!!

So even though it's the recession there still are jobs out there so don't lose heart, apply everywhere and contact places regardless of whether they have jobs advertised or not!!

What sector are you looking for jobs in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Leave.

I had a really crappy job, well great "JOB" but the people I worked directly with were complete... anyway long story short, leave if you are unhappy. I now have another job and its great. Bo! I will never work in a crappy people job again.. Theres no point being unhappy, and I learned something about the experience..

TBH the regular guys on here are great at telling it like it is..

PM me if your wondering or have any questions about my experience.

Still in the job and still hating every day of it... Got sick again this morning before I came in, that is the second time in a number weeks this has happened in a number of weeks. I have tried ask about the workload but I am given the same answer, this is a multinational and things need to be done....

Things for me have got so bad I had to emial the Samaratins just to get some emotion out, for the first time in my life I thought about stuff that I would never have thought about.

When I talk about my jobs and that I really should leave, the response is like, it is just a job grin and bear it! Times are tough and everyone needs a job... But when is enough enough, when I become depressed or worse...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

hey just thought id let you know im in the same boat!! i absolutely hate my job that on friday evenings im dreading going in on monday mornings!! i was just wondering if people could give me some advice! i left school 3 years ago and went straight into work, so now i have no real qualifications. im only 21 and hopefully going to college in september but i dont think I can stick my job till then!! im consiidering leaving soon and maybe doing some voluntary work for the summer!! ive no financial worries as such cause im still living at home but im not dependant on my parents, and i pay them a household contribution every week! just wondering what people think?? should i leave and enjoy my life while im still young or should i stay in my job and be miserable until september???? advice would be very welcome!! P.S. sorry for hijacking this thread:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Can you point me in the direction of a website that says you can get €200 per week AND your rent covered? I have just been made redundant (horrible word) and it was my understanding that you had to pay rent OUT of your dole.. thx

I think he was referring to Rent Supplement.

Advertisement