Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2001 320d Turbocharger

Options
  • 09-12-2008 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

My BMW which has been nothing but trouble since I bought it in April, now needs a new Turbocharger.... as it's burning oil.
    I live in Donegal, and I have been trying to find a second-hand one, but apparently they are like gold-dust.... does anybody know where I can get one, or even how much it's likely to cost me ???

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

i dont know specifically about BMW turbo but thepartsgetaway.co.uk is your best bet, Its on online UK breakers database, you sent your request and they email quotes back usually same day, very good service, i've got loads of stuff from them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

dubhdara3 wrote: »
    My BMW which has been nothing but trouble since I bought it in April, now needs a new Turbocharger.... as it's burning oil.
    I live in Donegal, and I have been trying to find a second-hand one, but apparently they are like gold-dust.... does anybody know where I can get one, or even how much it's likely to cost me ???

Cheers

Well known problem on 01/02 320D's my sister in law got hers replaced by a local mechanic for €500 after a main dealer quoted well over a grand, call AC car sales in Dublin or some Indy's up the north might be worth a spin to Dublin if it can save you €500+.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yeah 2000 to 2003 320d were well known for turbo failures. I'm surprised yours hasn't been replaced at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

I highly recomend http://www.turbocompressori.net/

I've bought a turbo off them before and they are top class

my old 00 reg 156 2.4 used the same turbo as the 320d and they do have a habit of going pop

just to note, if you can at all please don't get a 2nd hand turbo, in the end it could end up costing you a lot more than a new one, approx €700 for a brand new turbo versus approx €500 for a 2nd hand, the new one is way better value plus you don't have to worry about the history of a part that could go pop at any time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 dubhdara3

Notch000 wrote: »
    i dont know specifically about BMW turbo but thepartsgetaway.co.uk is your best bet, Its on online UK breakers database, you sent your request and they email quotes back usually same day, very good service, i've got loads of stuff from them

Is that website www.thepartsgetaway.co.uk ?
    As I have tried this address, and it doesn't seem to work.... Just wanting to check...

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

I wouldnt even consider fitting a s/h turbo to a 320d, you're asking for trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I got a reconditioned turbo off www.midlandturbo.co.uk for about 450quid. They'll exchange for your old turbo if it is rebuildable and thats even less cost wise. You get a 1yr warranty.

Defo worth a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

you don't need to go to the UK - Try here

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

dubhdara3 wrote: »
    Is that website www.thepartsgetaway.co.uk ?
    As I have tried this address, and it doesn't seem to work.... Just wanting to check...

Thanks

would imagine it's partsgateway.co.uk

Advertisement