Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alan Mathews No Longer Cork City FC manager

• 09-12-2008 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

http://corkcityfc.ie/main.php

Cork City Football Club today announced that it has suspended discussions and withdrawn all recent offers to its Club Manager Mr Alan Mathews on offering him a new contract.

Cork City FC has recently come out of Examinership and needs to bring the salary structures within the Club to sustainable levels to ensure the long term survival of the club.

Cork City FC Chairman Tom Coughlan said “Alan has been a tremendous leader throughout the Examinership process and is a very talented football manager and I would like to thank him for efforts in this difficult time for the Club. I have no doubt he will have a great future in football. The challenge facing Cork City FC for the foreseeable future is to operate on tight financial restraints to avoid has happened in the past 12 months to ensure the club has a sustainable future. The opportunity for all of us is to attract the best squad of players to ensure we are challenging for the league title next season.”

Gerry Nagle CEO of Cork City FC said” For the club to survive long term it must be at the heart of the sporting community in Cork. We want to bring back volunteers to Cork City FC and deliver top class football to our supporters, fans and our sponsors who we are very grateful to for their ongoing support. Following recent discussions we are looking forward to working closely with Foras as recently announced with the new Cork City FC club committee structures. We are all operating in a tough economic environment and everybody has a role to play to ensure the survival of top class football in Cork. Realistic cost structures are a key component in terms of our long term plans for the Club. In this challenging economic environment we must deliver extra value for a sustainable future for the club”

Cork City FC would like to thank Alan and his players for their contribution over what was a very difficult financial year for the club and wish Alan well with his future plans.

John Caulfield seems to be the name for the new manager.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

bad move i think, i'll be sad to see him gone. took me a while to warm to him, but i think over the past few months he was the consummate professional, and winning the setanta cup was no mean feat.

i wonder if this new owner city have has a clue what he's doing. tbh, i think not.

as for the new manager, john caulfield as gimmick mentioned is where the smart money is going

wouldnt mind seeing steven henderson in charge myself

never a dull moment with that club..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Matthews to Rovers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It could end up being a bad move. Matthews did well this season considering what went on.

he delivered the setanta cup, signed mooney who was brilliant before going to reading and provided good leadership during the examinership.

This is like deja vu with damien richardson being let go around the same time last year.

Hopefully they already have someone good in mind and this isn't a rash decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Mathews did a great job, he'll be missed.

The great history of Cork LOI clubs continues.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

He was sacked and is talking about going to court.

wtf City, wtf?
    Unfortunately, I received a phone call this morning from the chairman Tom Coughlan advising me that I was no longer the manager, and having got over the initial shock, it set in a little bit and I realise now that I am finished and it's deeply upsetting.'

'I refute what was said on the club website, that's going to be a matter for my legal team to take issue with, but the situation is that I had fully intended on fulfilling the remaining two years on my contract with the club, and what's most disappointing is that the opportunity to work with a terrific bunch of players has been denied to me.'

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/1209/corkcity.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The basic fact of the matter is, no matter how it is spun, CCFC cannot at this time afford Alan Mathews. That is the long and short of it. He was given an astronomical contract by arcadia, so even a 30% pay cut is stil huge money. he would have had to take approximately a 60% paycut for his wages to fall into the new wage structure.

gimmick wrote: »
    The basic fact of the matter is, no matter how it is spun, CCFC cannot at this time afford Alan Mathews. That is the long and short of it. He was given an astronomical contract by arcadia, so even a 30% pay cut is stil huge money. he would have had to take approximately a 60% paycut for his wages to fall into the new wage structure.

he was under contract.

he was under no obligation to change his contract.

City have acted wrongfully here, imo.

but sure we'll sweep it under the carpet.

it wasn't Matthews' fault he got a big contract.

It WAS the club's, no matter who the owner was/is.

Your bitterness is not only tiresome, but boring now.

Personally I am glad to see the back of him. Well done new owner. And their aint going to be a cent in compo/severence either, so it s a win win for the club.

I agree with Des on the contract issue, Bohs players turned down a pay cut, I have no problem with that whatsoever. Its the boards fault for giving them the contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I think its a good thing that we are trying to live within out means.

I have a lot of sympathy for Matthews. I'm not sure what kind of recourse he will have. Not an good time to lose your job.

Soccer managers at this level really live or die by their results.

Going back to the bank now would be like jumping from the pan into the fire.

• Advertisement

Exactly, would it appease those who dissaprove that we continued to spend silly money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Your bitterness is not only tiresome, but boring now.

Personally I am glad to see the back of him. Well done new owner. And their aint going to be a cent in compo/severence either, so it s a win win for the club.

How will there be no compo or severence if he's been sacked with two years left on his contract??

Some of the newspaper reports are saying that matthews was on a 150k a year contract plus accommodation. Thats nearly a 6th of our budget for the season. Its not caughlan fault that these stupid deals were given out.

that comes to about 12500 a month. This Arkaga crowd were living in a fairytale land.

But it's ok to sack a man two weeks before Xmas, just because you can't afford his wages?

Lovely club you support there, tbh.

The club gave him the contract, if you want him out based on results, pay him off and sever ties.

The fact that you wanted him gone just because you couldn't afford his wages stinks, stinks to high heaven.

Soccer managers at this level really live or die by their results.

Was there something wrong with his results, given the squad at his disposal?

I think not.

I suppose what i meant was that its not a very secure job.

look at gill in dundalk.

tbh i think it was correct decision. They won the league in spite of gill and his terrible team selections.

We're not alking about Gill.

Nice attempt at sidestepping the issue of your clubs gross mistreatment of Alan Matthews.

Des wrote: »

Was there something wrong with his results, given the squad at his disposal?

I think not.

Out of the title race by June with the biggest budget any manager has ever had at the club? Thats poor poor form given the squad at his disposal. Without the 10 point deduction we would have still finsihed fourth. Thats not good enough, given the squad at his disposal.

A contract was before Alan Mathews for the last 3-4 weeks which he did not sign. Those discussions were suspended as a contract cannot be left on the table indefinitely.
    But it's ok to sack a man two weeks before Xmas, just because you can't afford his wages?

Football/business does not recognise dates of the year. It could have been xmas day and it would have still been the rigth decision.

Let him take it to court and it will all be sorted out there. But will he actually take it to court?

A contract was before Alan Mathews for the last 3-4 weeks which he did not sign. Those discussions were suspended as a contract cannot be left on the table indefinitely.
    He already had two years left on his current one.

He didn't need to sign a new one anytime soon, so the fact that there was a new one "on the table" is irrelevent, it could hvae been there three, four or forty weeks, it's totally irrelevent.

Alan Matthews was contracted to your club for two more seasons, he has now been sacked by the club.

The club then issued a doublespeak statement on their website, making it look like he had left the club by mutual consent, when, in fact, he was sacked for not taking a wage cut.

The actions of a scoundral club, if ever I've seen it.

Not to mention the fact that it is against league rules to sign players while having outstanding debts to other players.
    Let him take it to court and it will all be sorted out there. But will he actually take it to court?

I hope he does.

I also hope you get Dolan back.

We're not alking about Gill.

Nice attempt at sidestepping the issue of your clubs gross mistreatment of Alan Matthews.
    You mentioned managers getting the sack two weeks before Christmas, so mentioning Gill is fair game. Managers often get sacked in the off-season, it just happens that the LOI off-season is around Christmas. Sure we'll go back to winter football so it'll be during the summer when managers are sacked in the off-season.

Stephen Henderson is the bookies favourite to get the City job. You have got to laugh really :(

That will be 3 dubs in a row. Whats wrong with Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Stephen Henderson is the bookies favourite to get the City job. You have got to laugh really :(

That will be 3 dubs in a row. Whats wrong with Cork?

Heard Gareth Cronin mentioned.:pac:

Genuinely now.

I heard Dolan mentioned.

I hope it's Dolan.

So I don't have to watch him on tv any more.

^ Thats because I told you that :D
    Heard Gareth Cronin mentioned.:pac:

Doolin, Rico, Caulfield plus anyone unattached is being mentioned as well.

I hear Roddy Collins has applied.

bohsman wrote: »
    I hear Roddy Collins has applied for the Bohs job.

fyp

Tom Coughlan + Roddy Collins. The bluff would start affecting the environment.

A couple of English managers being mentioned. Roy McFarland and Nicky Laws. Prefer to see a manger wiht experience of the LOI though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Pure Cork wrote: »
    You mentioned managers getting the sack two weeks before Christmas, so mentioning Gill is fair game.

Gill wasn't sacked.

His contract was up.

But sure why let facts get in the way of posting rubbish on the web? :rolleyes:

Coughlan take advice from the Bohs legal team before the sacking? :cool:

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Gill wasn't sacked.

His contract was up.

But sure why let facts get in the way of posting rubbish on the web? :rolleyes:

Coughlan take advice from the Bohs legal team before the sacking? :cool:

My mistake, Gill's contract was up.

I suppose people will still use the "sacked just before Christmas" line no matter who gets fired? Managers getting sacked just before Christmas has nothing to do with the fact that the off-season is at that time.

Any idea why he was sacked?

• Advertisement

Any idea why he was sacked?

He wouldn't play ball on a wage cut.

He wasn't obliged to either.

I hope he takes City to the cleaners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Someone is obviously telling porkies.

It would seem that the board was trying to renegotiate the current contract, but surely they couldn't be so naive as to think that they can just sack him with no repercussions? Unless they did have some sort of renegotiation clause built in to the original contract.

I find that hard to believe.

If the fact is that he had two years remaining with no get-out clause for the club, the statement on the club website is bonkers. They couldn't make that sort of decision without some sort of legal advice.

I smell spin.

Its a shame too, because he did well imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

bohsman wrote: »
    Matthews to Rovers?

I know they're learning quickly, but I don't think the Rovers board are that stupid.

dfx- wrote: »
    I know they're learning quickly, but I don't think the Rovers board are that stupid.
    Could ye afford him?

There is no transfer embargo on City.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Whether Denis O'Brien came in and paid his wages or Doolin for that matter, I don't think he's a viable option.

One primordial step up from Collins or Kilcoyne being manager..

There is no transfer embargo on City.

There should be.

• Advertisement

There should be.

Well luckily that's not up to you though.:D

Well luckily that's not up to you though.:D

Yes, I also think it's ":D" that some of your players went unpaid during the season.

I also think it's further ":D" that you went into administration during the season, and effectively got no punishment.

:D:D's all round.

Yes, I also think it's ":D" that some of your players went unpaid during the season.

I also think it's further ":D" that you went into administration during the season, and effectively got no punishment.

:D:D's all round.

I think it's ":D" that you still continue with your little bitter tirade.

City entered the examinership process and mid season and had time to sort things out.

They were docked 10 points as were drogheda. If both these clubs sort out their finances and pay off debts then they will have met the requirements to get a premier licence.

loads of clubs had financial problems this season and a lot of players had problems with wages.

Shels however went into financial meltdown after the season had ended and werent able to sort themselves before the new season began.

Deal with it. your bitter ranting against cork and drogheda is becoming tiresome. believe it or not i was dissapointed to see shels demoted. but after seeing your attitude im beginning to think otherwise.

Cork gained an unfair sporting advantage over their rivals by walking away from huge debts. The penalty they got from the FAI was not adequate.

I look forward to their impending relegation even though it means having to visit that inbred hovel of a village next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Shels however went into financial meltdown after the season had ended and werent able to sort themselves before the new season began.

Deal with it. your bitter ranting against cork and drogheda is becoming tiresome. believe it or not i was dissapointed to see shels demoted. but after seeing your attitude im beginning to think otherwise.

Most Shels fans I think just want some consistity from the FAI, not that word is featured in the Abbottstown Dictionary.

You's will get away scott free come January 31st if your finances are not up to scratch, Cork along with other franchaised villages are the love childs of the FAI and not to mentioned John Delaneys' baby Waterford Utd.

• Advertisement

Cork gained an unfair sporting advantage over their rivals by walking away from huge debts. The penalty they got from the FAI was not adequate.

Shelbourne fans are hilarious lately. Seriously, have you lot taken bitterness lessons? Keep it coming please. Thank you.
    I look forward to their impending relegation even though it means having to visit that inbred hovel of a village next season.

Are you here every week? Comedy classics all the way from Drugcondra

Shelbourne fans are hilarious lately. Seriously, have you lot taken bitterness lessons? Keep it coming please. Thank you.

So you're denying you gained an unfair advantage over other clubs?
    Are you here every week? Comedy classics all the way from Drugcondra

The comedy classics are coming from Cork. Just reading about who your club offered the manager's job to. :D

This is a car crash I'm watching with six cans of Stella. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

The comedy classics are coming from Cork. Just reading about who your club offered the manager's job to. :D

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=104918

Advertisement