Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

35 Point Service

Options
  • 09-12-2008 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm fairly new to the whole car thing.
    And I'm just wondering about this service from Advance for €180

My impression is that you are paying €180 for them to tell you whats wrong with the car rather than it actually being a service?
    Am I being too cynical or is it just a money maker?
    Will I simply get a list of what need fixing after I pay €180 and have to fork out more for repairs?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

http://www.advancepitstop.com/index.php?id=301

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Zamboni wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm fairly new to the whole car thing.
    And I'm just wondering about this service from Advance for €180

My impression is that you are paying €180 for them to tell you whats wrong with the car rather than it actually being a service?
    Am I being too cynical or is it just a money maker?
    Will I simply get a list of what need fixing after I pay €180 and have to fork out more for repairs?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

http://www.advancepitstop.com/index.php?id=301

Well when you have a car serviced anywhere, that is what you are paying for, a series of checks. You are of course also paying for components such as spark plugs, engine oil, oil & air filter to be changed.

It often amazes me on this forum how folks complain about being "ripped off" after a service, when they get a list of defects after a service.

What will happen though is that you can often get a list of defects that are specific to the activity of the outlet you are dealing with. For exmple, you bring your car to "Mr. Exhaust and Mr. Tyre" and low and behold, you are told after a service that you need two new tyres and a back exhaust box replaced. Find a good indy is my advice that comes personally recommended...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To be honest I would not get my car serviced at places like this, they are more set up for things like tyres, exhausts, etc than mechanical knowhow imo.

I would get it serviced by a good reputable trusted independant mechanic who knows his stuff. If you don't know one yourself then chances are a family member, friend, work collegue or neighbour does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Well when you have a car serviced anywhere, that is what you are paying for, a series of checks. You are of course also paying for components such as spark plugs, engine oil, oil & air filter to be changed.

It often amazes me on this forum how folks complain about being "ripped off" after a service, when they get a list of defects after a service.

What will happen though is that you can often get a list of defects that are specific to the activity of the outlet you are dealing with. For exmple, you bring your car to "Mr. Exhaust and Mr. Tyre" and low and behold, you are told after a service that you need two new tyres and a back exhaust box replaced. Find a good indy is my advice that comes personally recommended...

Would have agreed with you 2years ago with regard to Advance, but in recent times Advance have really upped their game. Well the two I have used anyway.

Advertisement