Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculating Christmas bank holidays

Options
  • 09-12-2008 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭

I'm working on something that'll list all Bank Holidays for a given year.

I haven't found an authoritive source to determine Irish Christmas Holidays. I've found various information on UK holidays but they do some dates differently.

ipso.ie has a pdf
    http://www.ipso.ie/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=215&Itemid=198

I know if Christmas Day or St. Stephen's Day are at the weekend, the following working days are holidays - but I can't figure out the exact logic. Can anyone help or point me to some reliable source, please?

For example December 2008
    25th (Thu) Bank Hol
    26th (Fri) Bank Hol
    29th (Mon) Bank Hol

25th (Fri) Bank Hol
    26th (Sat) Bank Hol
    28th (Mon) Bank Hol
    29th (Tue) Bank Hol

25th (Sat)
    26th (Sun)
    27th (Mon) Bank Hol
    28th (Tue) Bank Hol
    29th (Wed) Bank Hol

It is what it's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Public holidays falling on a weekend

Where a public holiday falls on a weekend, you do not have any automatic legal entitlement to have the next working day off work. This occurred in 2005 when Christmas Day (25 December) fell on a Sunday. (New Year's Day 2006 also fell on a Sunday). This meant that Tuesday 27 December 2005 and Monday 2 January 2006 were not public holidays. When this happens you are entitled to the normal alternative arrangements concerning employment and public holidays that is:

A paid day off within a month of the public holiday
    An additional day of annual leave
    An additional day's pay
    The nearest church holiday to the public holiday as a paid day off.
    Your employer can require you to attend work on those days.

Source - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/leave-and-holidays/public-holidays-in-ireland

Also, the Irish Banking Federation says:
    The Irish Payment Services Organisation (IPSO) maintains a list of bank holidays in Ireland on its website.

There are nine public holidays, as prescribed by the Organisation of Working Time Act, 1997. The National Employment Rights Authority website provides details of public holidays and holiday entitlement.

Not sure, if you are after Bank Holidays or Public Holidays, but hopefully the info above will help a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

mon 29th isnt a bank holiday this year. not sure if its a public holiday- i dont get them off so i dont keep track of the dates. the bank hols over christmas are 25th and 26th, or next working days, and 1st jan or next working day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

The 27th (or next working day) is a day of privelidge for the likes of Banks, Civil Service etc, but not a bank holiday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

sam34 wrote: »
    mon 29th isnt a bank holiday this year. not sure if its a public holiday- i dont get them off so i dont keep track of the dates. the bank hols over christmas are 25th and 26th, or next working days, and 1st jan or next working day.

Monday the 29th IS a Bank holiday (All Banks will be closed) but it is not a Public Holiday.

All Public Holiday are also Bank Holiday, but they are two Bank Holiday which are not Public Holiday, they are Good Friday and December 27th (which is a weekend this year, so the bank holiday falls to the monday.

oneweb wrote: »
    I'm working on something that'll list all Bank Holidays for a given year.

I haven't found an authoritive source to determine Irish Christmas Holidays. I've found various information on UK holidays but they do some dates differently.

ipso.ie has a pdf
    http://www.ipso.ie/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=215&Itemid=198

The IPSO pdf list "Bank Holidays", not "Public holidays". Most people used the two terms interchangabily, but they are not exactly the same.

Which are you interested in, Bank or Public Holidays, if you are coming at this from the HR end, you are interested in Public Holidays, if you are coming at this from the Banking end, you are interested in Bank Holidays.

In the financial end, other complications arrise with international payments, with respect to value dates, many Bank Holidays are ignored, but May 1st is a "Euro Bank Holiday" which respect to international transfers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Monday the 29th IS a Bank holiday (All Banks will be closed) but it is not a Public Holiday.

All Public Holiday are also Bank Holiday, but they are two Bank Holiday which are not Public Holiday, they are Good Friday and December 27th (which is a weekend this year, so the ank holiday falls to the monday.

i think you have this the wrong way around. just because the banks are closed, doesnt make it a bank holiday per se. monday 29th is not a bank holiday. if it was, i'd have it off, but i dont. (:() likewise good friday, it is a normal working day for me. (i work in the hse btw).

i think you have this the wrong way around. just because the banks are closed, doesnt make it a bank holiday per se. monday 29th is not a bank holiday. if it was, i'd have it off, but i dont. (:() likewise good friday, it is a normal working day for me. (i work in the hse btw).

I have it the right way around, you are confusing "Pubic Holidays" with Bank Holidays, there are not the same thing.

As I said in my origional post, all Public Holiday are also Bank Holidays, but not all Bank Holiday are Public Holidays.

A "Bank Holiday" is a day when the banks are closed....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

There are 9 public holidays in Ireland each year. Public holidays in Ireland (as in other countries) may commemorate a special day or other event, for example, St Patrick's Day (17 March) or Christmas Day (25 December). On a public holiday, sometimes called a bank holiday, most businesses and schools close. Other services, for example, public transport still operate but often with restricted schedules. The list of public holidays in Ireland each year is as follows:

New Year's Day (1 January)
    St. Patrick's Day (17 March)
    Easter Monday
    First Monday in May, June, August
    Last Monday in October
    Christmas Day (25 December)
    St. Stephen's Day (26 December)

Good Friday is not a public holiday. While some schools and businesses close on that day, you have no automatic entitlement to time off work on that day.

Source - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/leave-and-holidays/public-holidays-in-ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 realslimshady

So is Monday 27th December 2010 and Tuesday 28th December 2010 both Irish public holidays this year? Need to know as I am working and wondering what my entitlements are...?

So is Monday 27th December 2010 and Tuesday 28th December 2010 both Irish public holidays this year? Need to know as I am working and wondering what my entitlements are...?

Correct, 27/28 are Public holidays, 29 is a Bank Holiday (Banks/Post Offices closed) but not a Public Holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

My boss wont pay me for st stephens day , and said i was lucky to get paid for xmas day!Am i entitled to pay for these days????

explained here.

http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/informationforemployees/annualleave/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jamesodargan

so basicly , every full time person is supposed to get paid for xmas day and st stephens day regardless of what day it falls on , am i right??

Advertisement