Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warrior tanking, changes and builds in Wrath of the Lich King.

Options
  • 09-12-2008 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

(Or: hey, why is the tank topping the DPS?)

Second thread I've decided to start here, a few of you might remember my PVP'ing as a protection spec warrior thread, so I guess this is the natural follow up now that I've hit 80 and I've been running a few heroics. Things have really changed for the protection specced warrior, and I'm still more than a little in awe of just how well I'm doing in battlegrounds, but I'm a tank and in dungeons is where the real win happens, so I thought I'd talk less about PVP and more about PVE and what's changed there. I've had a respec since just before I hit 80, and it's an absolute joy to play with.

So first of all, let me talk to you about the build I'm using.
    It's this 12/8/51 build that's all about getting the most damage and threat from shield slam.

Probably the first thing you'll notice is that I've some points into talents that would previously be the signs of an extremely bad tanking build. Not so any more, and while it's strange to say "most damage" and "tanking" in the same sentance, you have to keep in mind that Blizzard have really shaken things up with this expansion. As chronicled in my last thread, the tanking warrior has so much more power in the battleground, and that's because this time around, we're geared a lot more towards doind damage. If you don't believe me, then think about the change that was made to concussion blow, going from a very simple stun initially, that now does a gobsmacking amount of damage. Tanks can now compare with just about any other spec for inflicting pain.

I've read that Blizzard have changed things so that it isn't so much an inherent threat built into abilities, but rather that threat is generated by the damage you do, so by maximizing damage you're actually doing your job as a tank and holding the enemy's attention. Since I specced to the above build, I've found out that this is very true, I've abandoned vigilance and I certainly seem to be holding threat even better than I was. I've played a couple of heroics now with a few retribution Paladins, one who was certainly better geared than I am, and I had absolutely no problems keeping aggro. Even in the case of a bad pull, I've been pulling mobs off the naughty pala with a single hit from shield slam. More damage is certainly more threat, so if you're a tank, more pain = more gain.

It is odd, especially since pre-WotLK, a tank who was trying to pull a mob off a team member using DPS was a very bad tank, suddenly the opposite is true. I still feel like I'm doing something wrong, something naughty that a tank shouldn't be doing, but it's got results!

:)

With this build, your shield block value is king. The more block value you have, the more damage your shield slam does, and the more damage your block stops. Shield Block is just about one of the best abilities you have. For a full ten seconds, you'll block everything, and your block value goes up by 100% so you'll take even less damage from hits, but it also means that for those 10 seconds, your shield slam does even more damage. Lets say for 1 minute of combat, you use a rotation of shield block, shield wall shield block. That's over 30 seconds of greatly significant damage reduction.

Now, lets talk about the glyphs I'm using, here are the majors:

Glyph of Blocking
    Glyph of Revenge
    Glyph of Heroic Strike

Blocking needs no explanation, an extra 10% block value for 10 secs every time shield slam is used, and given that shield slam can be hit every 6 seconds (or less with Sword and Board), that's a constant buff in a fight. The glyphs of Revenge and Heroic Strike are for getting the highest possible spam rate for Heroic Strike.

And the minors:

Glyph of Thunder Clap
    Glyph of Charge
    Glyph of Battle

There's less to choose from in the minors, but for a tank, the extra range on Thunder Clap is an obvious one. Charge is a good one too, the little extra range here is good for hitting bosses who knock you back and re-establishing aggro fast. Battle, well, that's really just for convenience sake, I'll use that soloing more than anything, as commanding shout will get used in a group.

On to gear.

I'm using The Red Sword of Courage, and I plan to get this enchanted with accuracy once I find someone who can do it. As I've said, block value is king for my build, so I'll be looking to stack as much of it as possible. I've got the Burning Skull Pendant and Tattered Castle Drape at the moment, and my shield is enchanted with Tough Shield.

My aims are first of all, get a helm with a meta socket, such as Arcane Shielded Helm from The Nexus heroic, and eventually, Heroes' Dreadnaught Greathelm. I'll be putting an Eternal Earthsiege Diamond in there for obvious reasons. Skadi's Iron Belt I'll be farming for, even the socket bonus gives block value, and I'll be keeping an eye on the auction house for Inexorable Sabatons. Hopefully I'll be able to get the Legplates of Inescapable Death from the 10-man Naxx. For trinkings, my aim is Lavanthor's Talisman which gives you +440 block value on use for 20 seconds, which will come in hugely handy on boss fights, and Essense of Gossamer for the stamina.

I'll be looking to buy Heroes' Dreadnaught Battleplate and Gauntlets with the Emblems of Heroism. The set bonus for having 2 of these items is fantastic, +10% shield slam damage. Overall, I'll just be stacking as much block value as I can. I'm already way past the defense cap at 560, some rings, gems and such will fill out the hit rating cap nicely, especially as I've got the bonus sockets from blacksmithing. The idea of this is, get as much damage reduction as possible with shield block, and the highest threat and damage I can with shield slam.

Couple of things I've found out that people might find interesting. Berserker Rage is now usable in defensive stance, and it breaks fear! You can dismarm King Ymiron in both normal and heroic difficulty.

Anyway, thoughts? What builds are you using? How do you find a warrior tank after WotLK?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

First off i think you are absoluteley mad having 2 points in improved charge and then not having any in improved disciplins ! Oh wait just looking again i think you migh have linked to the wrong build as i see 7/8/56.

This is what im using:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LVZhxZVItrg0didIzsGo (5/8/58)

Atm ive 2 sets of gear, one for high threat (higher damage) and one for the rest (high dodge/parry/block)

Ive never actually used concussive blow in my regular rotation but i might setup a macro for it to hit a second mob. I did know about beserker rage, but being a human warrior ive already got 2 other abilities to break and fear/charm/cc so never used it. But i have to agree warriors tanks are now putting out stupid damage easilly making a show of rogues, fury/arms warriors and some others. But i think yoru right more damage = more threat. Ive practicially dropped sunder/devistate(apart from boss fights) now as shield slam, heroic strike, revenge, thunderclap seem to hold pretty much anything. I do however keep vigiliance on someone, just incase i lag for a few seconds and am left standing there takign damage. Now all we have to do is wait for some actual hard instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

(Or: hey, why is the tank topping the DPS?)

When levelling maybe, not true anymore.

Anyway, TLDR untill:
    Couple of things I've found out that people might find interesting. Berserker Rage .... and it breaks fear!

You levelled till 80 without realising zerk rage breaks fear? How did you manage to open the box without help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Manties wrote: »
    First off i think you are absoluteley mad having 2 points in improved charge and then not having any in improved disciplins ! Oh wait just looking again i think you migh have linked to the wrong build as i see 7/8/56.

Ah, mess up, here's the talents. 12/8/51

Arms (12 points)

3/3 Improved Heroic Strike
    5/5 Deflection
    2/2 Improved Charge
    2/2 Impale

Fury (8 points)

3/3 Armored to the Teeth
    5/5 Cruelty

Protection (51 points)

5/5 Shield Specialization
    3/3 Improved Thunder Clap
    3/3 Incite
    5/5 Anticipation
    1/1 Last Stand
    2/2 Shield Mastery
    5/5 Toughness
    1/1 Concussion Blow
    2/2 Gag Order
    5/5 One-Handed Weapon Specialization
    2/2 Improved Defensive Stance
    3/3 Focused Rage
    3/3 Vitality
    1/1 Warbringer
    1/1 Devastate
    3/3 Critical Block
    3/3 Sword and Board
    2/2 Damage Shield
    1/1 Shockwave
    Dustaz wrote: »
    When levelling maybe, not true anymore.

Topped the damage on 2 heroics so far, and came pretty damned close in the rest.
    You levelled till 80 without realising zerk rage breaks fear? How did you manage to open the box without help?

Smartarse. :pac:

Never leveled as a fury warrior, so using berserker rage is fairly new to me. Or is there some reason a tank would be in berserker stance in an instance?

Manties wrote: »

This is what im using:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LVZhxZVItrg0didIzsGo (5/8/58)

Atm ive 2 sets of gear, one for high threat (higher damage) and one for the rest (high dodge/parry/block)

Ive never actually used concussive blow in my regular rotation but i might setup a macro for it to hit a second mob. I did know about beserker rage, but being a human warrior ive already got 2 other abilities to break and fear/charm/cc so never used it. But i have to agree warriors tanks are now putting out stupid damage easilly making a show of rogues, fury/arms warriors and some others. But i think yoru right more damage = more threat. Ive practicially dropped sunder/devistate(apart from boss fights) now as shield slam, heroic strike, revenge, thunderclap seem to hold pretty much anything. I do however keep vigiliance on someone, just incase i lag for a few seconds and am left standing there takign damage. Now all we have to do is wait for some actual hard instances.

Right, improved charge and the lack of improved disciplines... I'll engage generally engage by using charge, get shield block up for the slam buff, and have enough rage to slap them straight away with shield slam and thunderclap. I also need points in there for Impale. Disciplines, well, even with the minute shaved off the cooldown, it's still 4 minutes before you can use shield wall again, and I found that was something I'd only use once a boss fight anyway, so I didn't mind dropping it. Haven't missed it so far.

I definitely think that damage is threat, there's a lot more talents in the protection tree that modify damage than before. Incite, warbringer, even gag order gives you 10% shield slam damage, and improved defensive stance gives enrage which ups your damage there again. Damage. :D

Though your build certainly does look like a good one, no denying it. As for harder instances, I've read that Blizzard regretted adding Black Temple in BC from the get go, and the plan with Wrath was to have a lot of content held back, so I'm sure there's going to be much bigger tests of my tanking to come.

Or is there some reason a tank would be in berserker stance in an instance?
    Quoted for posterity :)

Argh, i always end up sounding massively condescending here so ill let someone else field it!

• Advertisement

Quoted for posterity :)

Argh, i always end up sounding massively condescending here so ill let someone else field it!

Sounding? You mean you're not just condescending in general? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Or is there some reason a tank would be in berserker stance in an instance?

Stance dancing was an integral part of some old encounters particuarly for horde warriors. Nef and Onyxia spring to mind

Woden wrote: »
    Stance dancing was an integral part of some old encounters particuarly for horde warriors. Nef and Onyxia spring to mind

Never did either tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Aye, we horde had it harder when tanking a few years back :)

My main used to be a warrior (MT) so I enjoyed reading the posts here on this.

Nehaxak wrote: »

Thanks Nehaxak, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've only been playing the game less than a year, and been tanking even less than that, so throw us a fricken bone here guys... Before Wrath, it was mainly BC instances I had the most experience with, Magister's Terrace being probably the most difficult I had tanked. But I do think I've something to add none the less. The mechanics have changed quite a bit between BC and Wrath, and come on, it's got to beat yet another Death Knight thread, doesn't it? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

The warrior tank I do heroics with would usually finish second or third on the dps list, and I'm not talking about a run filled with scrubs but a group full of well geared guildmates. Dps should be outdoing tanks but since TBC tanks are definitely doing more dps. I know SFA about tanks now and wouldn't claim to know anything but it seems to me like every tank I see now instead of tanking 2 or max 3 targets they are pulling 4 and even 5 targets at once to be tanked. I can only imagine doing aoe style damage to keep threat on multiple targets is going to up their damage, while dps still kill each target one by one.

Stance dancing is used to combat fear effects, its not used quite as much or is as important anymore since every priest can now use fear ward (before it was just dwarf's) but it definitely is still used.

ok, well if im going to read a wall of text, Id like to read a wall of text thats at least informed. Some experience of pvp and raids would be nice and I cant imagine Magisters Terrace was the hardest heroic to tank for a warrior in wotlk? (i guess i could stand corrected here). Anyway, something as fundamental as being unaware of zerk rage kinda negates the rest for me:P

As far as i can tell (bearing in mind i play a high-threat dps class) this is all that needs to be said about any tanking class:

1. Press some buttons and never lose aggro.

and thats it.

Threat mechanics underwent SUCH a fundamental change with this expansion that it just doesn really bear talking about anymore. (As an example, We were doing sartharion the other day and all of a sudden i heard the Omen noise from out of nowhere. It had been such a long time since id been anywhere near pulling aggro that id forgotten all about it. Turns out our tanks mouse broke. He still didnt lose aggro by the way - gg threat)

As for damage, whatever. As gear scales the faceroll elements of base skill damage gets minimised more and more and with that youll see tank damage drop and drop compared to dps classes (except Death Knights of course, but that will drop the second S5 starts.)

edit: What is good about the increased damage from Def stance abilities is that tanks can now farm quite effectively and even pvp. Thats a Very Good Thing in terms of keeping guilds tanks happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

It should also be noted of course that in heroics etc you are dealing with trash packs which you are tanking with ae effect. In my case swipe and 2 target maul and mangle on 3 when berserk is up. Single target tank dps is lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

If you're gonna keep posting with stuff linke from wowhead, we have GOT to get that wowhead plugin so we can just hover the links for the items >_<

DRakE wrote: »
    If you're gonna keep posting with stuff linke from wowhead, we have GOT to get that wowhead plugin so we can just hover the links for the items >_<

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

ivan, can you make that happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Nehaxak wrote: »

Real alliance warriors stance danced.

Seriously who relies on the drunk dorf to fearward you? :P

Its not upto Ivan ot install the plugin, its upto the admins. Woudl be pretty cool if we coudl get this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Mailed Cult, see what he has to say. Lets hope he's not too busy ;)

CuLT wrote:
    Ivan wrote:
    getting this installed
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=183035

We were just talking about it here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58203397&postcount=16

Seems like it'd be really useful, if it's not too much trouble ;)

Regards,
    Ivan

Hi Ivan,

Not on the cards right now, too many DB modifications from an alpha/dev mod ( one of whose primary features appears to be "debug" :) ) with zero application outside the WoW forum.

Thanks,

CuLT.

Oh well, maybe in a few months :|

no application outside wow?

Theres an outside of wow now?

Oh well, in a few months time at the rate of expansion most of ireland will be playing, including cult and well get it!

Thanks for trying anyway Ivan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Yeah thanks for trying Ivan

and thanks to Drake for the original idea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I've started levelling my warrior again. I got bored with him and left him at 67 a year ago but got him up to 71 today. I was gonna go fury (maybe not TG as I only had 1 decent 2h) but after reading Karl's post, I decided to give prot a try. I'm glad I'm this spec as I find it easier to aoe grind with my warrior than I did with my mage. My gear is pretty crap (mostly northrend greens with some outland blues) but I can charge into a group of 4-5 mobs at 50% health and come out comfortably.

Now to level my engineering while saving for a flying mount + frozen flying...

Nice one LordChessington, glad you're enjoying it. ;)

One thing I've found recently is, just how fantastic Damage Shield is. In my previous thread I said it was worthless after putting 1 point in there. I discovered it was bugged though, so you need 2 points to make it work at all, but it is a pretty terrific talent altogether now that I'm getting the benifit of it. Going through combat logs, I realised just how powerful it was and it seems to really hold threat well. This adds another reason to why I'll be stacking block value, and it scales with shield block too. I dueled a lower level hunter yesterday, and his pet actually suicided on me. Rogues aren't going to like this talent either.

With Prot paladin buffs and Titans grip buffs in next patch, I think the time of the Prot warrior is finally coming to a close :)

Fury warriors are already insane but now they are actually practical for leveling too! :D

Karl have you noticed that in wotlk you only need 1 tanking set? I only really started tanking a few weeks before wotlk but i had high def armor set, a dodge/parry set. But now i dont seem to need any of it at all. Ive seen some warriors running around in the full tempered saronite set for heroics and getting away with it :o

Yeah, I know what you mean. But I've currently got a resistances set handy, and I think you can vary a few trinkets to either get the most mitigation, or most threat. The tempered saronite set has very high defense stats so as long as you've got 540 you should be good to go.

Some good things added next patch to be excited about:

1. Shiny new tanking enchants. Suddenly that +90 stamina on bracers that leatherworkers get isn't so envyable any more, and +40 block value is one of the best enchants I've seen for a shield. The weapon enchant seems great too, Blizzard are throwing a lot of stam at us this time around.

2. According to this, meta and blue sockets for the Tempered Titansteel Helm and a +6 defense socket bonus! One thing that annoyed me was that the Spiked Titansteel Helm had a meta socket, but the crafted tanking version had none, and that seemed like a bit of a snub when you take into account the Armored Titanium goggles that Engineers got.

I'm really happy about this now, because I had been running a few Nexus heroics to get myself the Arcane-Shielded Helm, but didn't have much luck. The addition of a meta socket will put the Titansteel one into the lead. If you were to stick a +32 Stamina and 2% armor rating meta gem, a +24 Stamina gem, and the +37 and +20 Defense enchant from the Argent Crusade, that would give the Tempered Titansteel Helm a pretty astonishing +255 to Stamina. Altogether, that makes it a hat full of win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

If you are outdpsing your DPS classes in raids then you really need a new guild. One that isn't full of scrub DPS ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RecessionHead

Yea got a level 74 warrior on horde side. I've been prot spec since lvl 1. But the recent changes to the prot spec have made the prot spec warrior one of the most entertaining and fun to play classes ever!

(I've also got a 70 holy priest and a 71 enhancement shammy amongst other alts)

I have yet to get to grips with the notion of beginning to add on attack power to hold threat, still just working on getting def gear at this stage.
    But will check it out.
    But we have moved far away from the boring rotation that was required in tbc for holding aggro. The sword and board, shield slam, revenge and shockwave combinations have made for a much more interesting play style.

And good to know there are more prot spec warriors in Ireland!

• Advertisement

If your looking for gear there is a nice chest that drops from the 2nd boss in old kingdom, or you can get the saronite crafted pieces(lvl 72-78 i think). Very cheap to get made for you if you know a BS. There are no real tanking weps untill lvl 78, I managed HoS and HoL at 75/76 and managed to get both sword, thrown and trinket in 3 runs in HoL, and some half decent tanking shoulders from HoS for the escort quest(i would suggest farming this place at 76 with a group of lvl 78+dps/healer, as at 75 i found it incredibly hard because of the ammount i would miss on mobs being 5 4/5 levels higher). Oh, also a very nice shield from violet hold too. All of that should have you ready for the entry level heroics. There is also a nice BoE trinket that ive seen drop a few times in GunDrak, usually sells on AH from 80g onwards. One problem with the Saronite set is it has a inherent lack of dodge/block and parry but has a hugh def and armor rating.

Happy tanking.

Advertisement