Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is "Fastpath"?

Options
  • 09-12-2008 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

Checking my ADSL settings it says: Link Type - Fastpath. What does that mean?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Google, ftw.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Valentia wrote: »
    Checking my ADSL settings it says: Link Type - Fastpath. What does that mean?

Lines can have different levels of interleaving which helps to avoid noise and keep the line stable. Fastpath is a low amount or none, which gives the lowest latency but potentially making your connection more susceptible to noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Google, ftw.

And close this forum down? Enormously helpful, thanks.

Thanks Spear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Mountjoy Muggers's link explains it very well but I think you may have thought it was a link to google. :)

Here's the text from that link

What is meant by 'FastPath' and 'Interleaving'? What is a 'Noise Profile'? (#2182)

When a customer is put on a "Noise Profile" usually their DSL line is changed from FastPath to Interleaved.

Interleaving is an error correction protocol that is implemented for your line at the DSLAM. With Interleaving enabled, the DSLAM can correct errors in the data stream it receives before passing that data to your gateway router. It is usually implemented on noisy or marginal lines and can greatly increase sync stability and effectively eliminate "first hop" packet loss. The largest drawback to Interleaving is that it will increase your ping time, specifically to your first hop gateway router.

If Interleaving is not enabled on your line, it is configured as FastPath. FastPath allows the DSLAM to pass the data received from you to the first hop router without performing any error correction. As a result, marginal lines could experience an increase in packet loss and decrease in sync stability (i.e. frequent sync loss). However, FastPath has lower ping times, especially to the first hop router.

The BellSouth DSG (Digital Services Group) is responsible for manually adding or removing customers from a Noise Profile. Interleaving can also be provisioned automatically without human intervention when line quality drops below certain perimeters.

Friendly Advice/Time Saver: Even though you may (after a large amount of effort) be able to call the Helpdesk and get switched to Fastpath, there's usually a reason you are interleaved, so you may or may not be able to connect without it. Typically, the system will automatically switch back to interleaved after a short time anyway.

Check here to see if your line is Fastpath or Interleave.

Andy Houtz

GigaByte wrote: »
    Mountjoy Muggers's link explains it very well but I think you may have thought it was a link to google. :)

He he. Ah no. I've been around a bit longer than that, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

If you have, maybe you should have gotten some manners on the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭spixel

Which adsl provider are you with? I thought since eircom did the upgrades during the summer that interleaving was switched on for everyone now.

If you have, maybe you should have gotten some manners on the way.

Are you talking to me? If so what are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

yes please name the ISP

im guessing smart

BT. I don't know when it was, or if it was, changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

BT. I don't know when it was, or if it was, changed.

any idea what package your on? adsl2+ ? or a 3mb connection thanks.

Im trying to find a isp which can offer me fastpath.

I'm on the 7.6Mb pack. My speeds were very poor lately so I reckon the BT people are changing a few settings. They also dropped my connection to around 6Mb. There has been an improvement though but the speeds are erratic to say the least. My pings have improved massively but I don't game so it's of no benefit to me.

BTW I think if you ask your supplier they will turn off interleaving for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭spixel

I'm on the 7.6Mb pack. My speeds were very poor lately so I reckon the BT people are changing a few settings. They also dropped my connection to around 6Mb. There has been an improvement though but the speeds are erratic to say the least. My pings have improved massively but I don't game so it's of no benefit to me.

BTW I think if you ask your supplier they will turn off interleaving for you.

They wont turn it off , at least not at imagine/gaelic telecom. They tell you that interleaving is set at your exchange and cant be turned off.

Advertisement