Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat bed problem

Options
  • 09-12-2008 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I bought a lovely soft new bed for my cat but she won't go near it!!

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Some cats are funny. My cats are not interested in cat beds. They like to sleep on pretty much anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Try leaving it next to a radiator but cats pretty much sleep where ever they feel like. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabbo57

i know!! she gotten into the habit of getting in the bed between me an the missus, like under the covers!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Gabbo57 wrote: »
    i know!! she gotten into the habit of getting in the bed between me an the missus, like under the covers!!!

lol! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Gabbo57 wrote: »

:D:D:D

I'm sorry but I think you are going to have to forget about the new bed. Despite my attemts to persuade them to sleep in their specially bought catbeds, my cats sleep only on real beds, and only if the duvet is on them. But thankfully, not in the bed with me. LOL - thats really funny.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can try leaving a warm hot water bottle in there with the cat. Makes it a bit more comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Our cats vary where they sleep, seemingly at random, but I'm sure there's some reason for it. There's a nice comfy cat bed in the lounge which is completely empty at the moemnt, but one or the other of the cats decides now and then that that's the place to be for a month or two, and then it's off for pastures new again. Currently one of them resides permanently on my wife's side of our bed, and the other in a cardboard box in my office. Give it a month or two though, and it'll be all change again.

In short, cats will sleep (or do anything else for that matter) where they want to, not where you think they ought to. Keep the bed though, I'm sure she'll take to it at some time in the future, even if only temporarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You can get catnip spray that they LOVE that might bring her round. It works on our cat - he collapses at the smell of it lol. I got him a new radiator bed (the old one was almost on the floor it was that strectched) but he wouldn't go near it. Once I gave it a few sprays he jumped it and sat in it for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Next time you're grooming your cat, collect a bunch of his fur and put it in the new bed.
    Or put something he likes to sleep on already (that has his scent on it) into his new bed, then wait for him to rediscover it.

I know cats like to choose their sleeping places at random, but this might influence him somewhat! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

If u are wearing a t shirt today put it on the bed, your scent should entice him to curl up there. Espec if he likes to get into bed with u.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabbo57

T-shirt idea seems like a good one, will try. It's only really in the last week she's been getting in the bed with us, i woke up the other morning with her standing on my chest meowing at me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Aw sweet! :D

Just keep an eye on her - sometimes when they start acting clingy like that it can mean they aren't feeling well. Or more often it means they just want to be fussed over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Put it beside a radiator and in a good vantage point. I know my cats love lying where they can see everything going on around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Wash it first. Some cat beds - esp. the 'made in china' variety, can have a strong factory smell off them. First thing to do is wash it to get rid of that smell - even if it starts instead to smell mildly of the detergent or softener you use, that'll still be a familiar smell from the other items in your house.

Then try putting it somewhere that she would like to sleep - cats love their beds tucked away under things or up high.

Advertisement