Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good computer supplies shops in Leinster?

Options
  • 09-12-2008 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking at getting a high end PSU for my new build. Might not have enough juice in my 550w PSU so looking for a shop I can walk into and get a 700w+ PSU? Not interested in best price, rather best service is better...

Any ideas?

Click.ie don't seem to stop parts...

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Internet e-tailers will always give a better price.

Cantec was bad to begin with, Click is a billion times worse. Avoid like the plague.

PCWorld doesn't have decent PSUs - they only have mindblowingly overpriced crapboxes with JeanTech logos stamped on. I don't consider that in any way a trustworthy brand. Maybe one of the larger stores somewhere in Dublin has a better line but I doubt it.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any high-end component suppliers in Leinster myself... interesting question I'd like to know actually. Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

First of all what's your current PSU and intended upgrade, if it's a decent 550w PSU then it's most likely OK for pretty much anything bar dual 4870X2's or something ludicrous like that.

PC World stock Jeantech's better PSU's, like the Storm (have one myself, good psu) but they're way overpriced. They also stock BFG Psu's but same story. Not sure where else - Elara/Komplett have pick up options and will offer you better prices then bricks and mortar stores. Peats offer pretty good prices in general for a bricks and mortar store.

Good point, forgot about peats/maplins... again! :rolleyes:

And a triple-rail 550W is good for most things that don't involve SLi/CF or GTX280 :D A dual-rail 550W is like a dual-rail anything... not good for f*** all IMHO. Got lumped with one myself and now I'm stuck as I can't OC my 3850 and I can't upgrade until I get enough money to upgrade the graphics and PSU at the same time. :mad:

Word to the wise: AVOID dual-rail PSUs. The alleged 12V rating is unreachable as 12V1 only supplies the CPU, and virtually all of them supply ATX CPU connectors rather than modern EPS connectors, so the 16/18/20A on 12V1 is never reached. Meanwhile the 16/18/20A on 12V2 is needed to run EVERYTHING else in the PC - mobo, PCI cards, RAM, fans, drives, and 100% of the mobo-integrated and external PCIe power for graphics cards! Its like having an old-style PSU with f-all power on the 12V rail :(

Single "superrail" PSUs (Corsair) and multi-rail PSUs (hint: low-end 4-rail work best for multiple graphics cards, 3-rail for a single GTX280 etc.) are the norm for gaming PCs.

[/rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭r0nn13

First of all what's your current PSU and intended upgrade, if it's a decent 550w PSU then it's most likely OK for pretty much anything bar dual 4870X2's or something ludicrous like that..

Got a 550w Antec True550p and I need a 24pin & 8pin ATX for Asus P5Q-E and 2x6pin PCIe for GTX260 OC. It has a Q6600 in it and that will be OC's in the next 6months too. Going to running 6-10USB devices and then 2-6 HDD's too at some stage... Did various calculators across the net (ASUS, NVIDIA and a few custom jobs) and they recommend a range from 600-800w.

Reckon 750w is plenty esp if i get a name brand (Antec, OCZ, BFG etc), had bad experience of cheaper makes in the past (200w rated blew up with only 125w being used).

Maplin do cheaper/no-name brands and never got to check PC World yet.

Peats ain't bad, bit of a mixed bag..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Any reason why you want a physical shop instead of online? Usually you pay over the top in the shops here

• Advertisement

Any reason why you want a physical shop instead of online? Usually you pay over the top in the shops here

Well i pick up all my parts tomorrow from Komplett, and being a bit excited at building my new rig I would like to get it built tomorrow and switched on.

Hey online is cheaper for sure (esp Komplett), but that requires patience :eek:

I am looking at getting PSU cable converters instead now from Maplin:-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46857
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=46201
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99521

:cool:

Huh? You shouldn't need those if you're getting a 600W+ PSU...

And I STRONGLY recommend against the third item... you should be running your CPU on its own off 12V1 rail, that molex adaptor would have it running off 12V2 with all the other system components! If you intend on doing what I think you're gonna do then bear in mind with one PCIe connector coming off the system 12V rail you'll have less overhead for devices/fans or indeed power for your mobo's FSB as it'll all be using 12V2 as well. Don't even think of OCing the GTX260 or Q6600 in this case until you get the replacement PSU! Nor even dare buying/using that half-assed EPS-Molex adaptor :eek: Use the old 4pin ATX connector on the new mobo temporarily, it should run fine without the full 8pin EPS connector unless you start OCing the CPU and FSB through the roof.

Solitaire wrote: »
    Huh? You shouldn't need those if you're getting a 600W+ PSU...

And I STRONGLY recommend against the third item... you should be running your CPU on its own off 12V1 rail, that molex adaptor would have it running off 12V2 with all the other system components! If you intend on doing what I think you're gonna do then bear in mind with one PCIe connector coming off the system 12V rail you'll have less overhead for devices/fans or indeed power for your mobo's FSB as it'll all be using 12V2 as well. Don't even think of OCing the GTX260 or Q6600 in this case until you get the replacement PSU! Nor even dare buying/using that half-assed EPS-Molex adaptor :eek: Use the old 4pin ATX connector on the new mobo temporarily, it should run fine without the full 8pin EPS connector unless you start OCing the CPU and FSB through the roof.

Current PSU (Antec True550w) has the following spec:-

Connectors:-
    1x 20pin ATX
    1x 4pin ATX
    2x SATA
    2x 4pin (2 leads) Fan only
    7x 4pin Molex
    1x 6pin AUX

Rated 530w max load

Power Specs:-
    +5v (40A - 0A)
    +12v (30A - 0,8A)
    +3.3v (32A - 0A)
    -5v (0,5A - 0A)
    -12v (1,0A - 0A)
    +5v SB (2,0A - 0A)

GTX 260 requires 36A on the 12v rail it seems.

mmm, is this a lost cause, if so time to buy a new PSU ASAP then...

Well out of sheer impatience I bit the bullet and bought an 800w Tagan supply from Peats this afternoon. Still to install it but at least I know everything will get enough power now.

Not cheap but a good brand and modular too... :cool:

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=25100&sid=14&cid=122&scid=5315 :eek:

Review of it here:-

http://www.cluboc.net/reviews/power/Tagan/BZ800/index.asp

r0nn13 wrote:
    GTX 260 requires 36A on the 12v rail it seems.

WTF?!

Seriously, I'm pretty sure that only applies if you have a dual-rail PSU (i.e. powering the system and all the GPU juice from the same rail). I know a single 25A "just for PCIe" rail (like the 12V3 on a trirail Antec) is considered sufficient for providing sufficient supplementary PCIe power for a basic CF/SLi setup or a single GTX280/HD4870X2.

• Advertisement

got my system built this evening :D

The Tagan PSU has 6x 12v rails and the GTX 260 needs 2x PCIe 6pin inputs so these are coming from 2x 20A rails giving a max available of 40a.

The GTX 280 needs 38A I think. Madness. Next Nvidia card is gonna make some ppl cry with the thought of having to change their PSU if it is only 1 or 2 rails...

All good so far and stress testing it to death right now... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

[QUOTE=
    Cantec was bad to begin with, Click is a billion times worse. Avoid like the plague.
    [/QUOTE]

Amen to that...... cantec/click are terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

BTW. MemoryC in Leixlip do power supplies

http://www.memoryc.com/pccomponents/powersupplies.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

TonyM. wrote: »
    BTW. MemoryC in Leixlip do power supplies

http://www.memoryc.com/pccomponents/powersupplies.html

Good one, they've good prices on PSUs.

Advertisement