Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Decking, a trellis and a pond

Options
  • 09-12-2008 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hello, i am moving into a new house verry soon and i would like to build some decking that will partly be covered by a trellis and have a pond in the garden, i am assuming there is no need for planning permission?? my only area of concern on that side was the trellis since it will be, i guess an extension to the house.

Otherwise if you have any experience or feedback please let me know,i am only at the plan stage at the moment but any help would be appreciated since I have not done anything like it before!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Hi, you don't need any pp. I have just dismantled mine and if I am allow say it here I have the pumps and filter up for sale at present. Planning ahead is important cause you always think of something when your finished your project. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭MacTheKnife1

ilo wrote: »
    Hello, i am moving into a new house verry soon and i would like to build some decking that will partly be covered by a trellis and have a pond in the garden, i am assuming there is no need for planning permission?? my only area of concern on that side was the trellis since it will be, i guess an extension to the house.

Otherwise if you have any experience or feedback please let me know,i am only at the plan stage at the moment but any help would be appreciated since I have not done anything like it before!

If u have small kids, pls be careful about putting in a pond. I know a family who had a very close call on a child drowning in a lovely looking pond.

I am currently renting and there is a pond in the garden which might have looked nice at some point but is a mess now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

ilo wrote: »

Although most people like some form of water feature in a garden, most would be concerned with ponds and young children. One can take precautions (most are unsightly but given the risks very necessary). Open water is also has much higher regular/annual maintenance requirements. Not surprising therefore that most people would tend to instal features using concealed reservoir tanks etc.

Our last pond installation was approx 3 years ago whereas, water feaures would be installed every 3-4 weeks.

In relation to trellising, be very careful fixing to party wall, on boundaries, trellis is considered a temporary structure, but that said, it would be wised to consult with neighbours if you intend to install trellis panels higher than 2.0m. Fixing requirements also need to take account of wall strength, because with climber growth, trellis on stormy nights must withstand great lateral forces which could result in weak walls collapsing.

I fin doubt trellis can be securely fixed to posts which are anchored in concrete footings and independent of walling. Be sure to use pressure treated timbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,160 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved from C & P to DIY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ilo

If u have small kids, pls be careful about putting in a pond. I know a family who had a very close call on a child drowning in a lovely looking pond.

I am currently renting and there is a pond in the garden which might have looked nice at some point but is a mess now.

I know don't worry, no small kids for me but i have heard of accidents. Some people advise netting but that does not work to well either. In any case it's not a problem for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ilo

Although most people like some form of water feature in a garden, most would be concerned with ponds and young children. One can take precautions (most are unsightly but given the risks very necessary). Open water is also has much higher regular/annual maintenance requirements. Not surprising therefore that most people would tend to instal features using concealed reservoir tanks etc.

Our last pond installation was approx 3 years ago whereas, water feaures would be installed every 3-4 weeks.

In relation to trellising, be very careful fixing to party wall, on boundaries, trellis is considered a temporary structure, but that said, it would be wised to consult with neighbours if you intend to install trellis panels higher than 2.0m. Fixing requirements also need to take account of wall strength, because with climber growth, trellis on stormy nights must withstand great lateral forces which could result in weak walls collapsing.

I fin doubt trellis can be securely fixed to posts which are anchored in concrete footings and independent of walling. Be sure to use pressure treated timbers.

Thanks for the info and the warning, as said in the previous post i don't need to worry about children, unless i have some other i guess! i have had experience in ponds, me and my brother have built one in both houses he has lived in and i have built one for one of my landlords in the past. I know what maintenance is required and i am happy to do what is necessary.

Thansk for the advice for the trellis, i will take that into account when building, might just put up some posts against the wall instead of doing it in the wall!

Advertisement