Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No super glue, no money...

Options
  • 09-12-2008 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭

I cant buy super glue as I'm broke.(remember this tony next time I'm looking for discounts, I cant even afford glue :P)

Anyway, I DO have fibreglass and resin, the glue was for a stock, to do the seam, then reinforce inside with the resin and matting.
    I'm wondering, can I use the resin itself to glue the stock, and then do the reinforcements inside also?

Google just gives me adverts and no real answer, and I don't want to wreck this stock.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

if the stock is plastic i wouldnt advise using super glue unless youre painting over it as it will discolour most plastics.

have you a pic of the stock and what youre trying to do, just so i can get a better picture.
    the resin & fiberglass should be fine on the inside but the resin itself may not have the adheisive power on its own.

you could repair from the inside & use body filler or even pollyfilla which will sand down fairly smooth.

have you tried a pound shop for the superglue?
    they dont aleays have the best cameras:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Its the seam, the body was too fat for the stock and split it.

I've filled the seam with resin and hardener, and have done a sort of patch on the inside with the resin and matting.

I'll know in 20 minutes if the resin alone will hold the seam, the patch inside will help too.

Don't have any euros for even the pound shop at the moment, if it fecks up, I can redo it I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

(remember this tony next time I'm looking for discounts, I cant even afford glue :P)

I bet you'll be able to afford pints on Sunday though :)

And if I cant, and am covered in a thick layer of fibre glass, paint and am popping anti-bios etc. as I am right now, will you buy me a pint? :)

It looks like it worked.

Tip for repairing a cracked stock, use fibre glass resin on the seam, and patch inside with resin and matting to "tie" the two pieces together.

Seems to have worked here quite nicely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement