Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advise: 05 Bora Trade-in for 09 Jetta 1.6

Options
  • 09-12-2008 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Folks,

A friend is trading in her 05 VW Bora 1.4, Base, 55K Miles, Black, Alloys for a brand new Jetta 1.6 Comfortline. These cars would not be to my liking (as many of you probably feel) but this is her choice and i would really appreciate advise on the below offer.

* They are offering 7,500 Euro for the Bora and asking for 22,500 for the Jetta with metalic paint

Does this should like a good deal?
    Is there much of a difference between the Jetta 1.6 and 1.4TSI?

(They are looking for 27,000 aprox for the 1.4TSI)

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

They're flogging loads of the 1.6 8 valves off cheap at the moment. The 1.4tsi is a far superior engine but i wouldn't pay 4.5k for the privilege on a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Sounds like good value for the Bora given the current situation, but as far as i know, that 1.6fsi engine is gone and being replaced by the 1.4TSI. I wouldn't pay the extra bob for it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

henry hill wrote: »
    Folks,

A friend is trading in her 05 VW Bora 1.4, Base, 55K Miles, Black, Alloys for a brand new Jetta 1.6 Comfortline. These cars would not be to my liking (as many of you probably feel) but this is her choice and i would really appreciate advise on the below offer.

* They are offering 7,500 Euro for the Bora and asking for 22,500 for the Jetta with metalic paint

Does this should like a good deal?
    Is there much of a difference between the Jetta 1.6 and 1.4TSI?

(They are looking for 27,000 aprox for the 1.4TSI)

Thanks for reading

The 122bhp 1.4 TSI is listed on the VW website as being €26,695. There's delivery charges alright with that, but take a no trade in discount off that and she might get it for €25,500 or even €25,000. All she needs to get is €2,500 on a private sale for her Bora to break even on the 1.6 Jetta she's being offered. The 1.6 Jetta doesn't exist on the VW site.

Incidently, it's only €100 more for a 122bhp Passat. No brainer!

Biro wrote: »
    The 122bhp 1.4 TSI is listed on the VW website as being €26,695. There's delivery charges alright with that, but take a no trade in discount off that and she might get it for €25,500 or even €25,000. All she needs to get is €2,500 on a private sale for her Bora to break even on the 1.6 Jetta she's being offered. The 1.6 Jetta doesn't exist on the VW site.

Incidently, it's only €100 more for a 122bhp Passat. No brainer!

+1 on that actually. If funds allow.tell her keep the Bora and sell privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 1.6 FSi is not available in the Jetta, the only 1.6 Jetta is the dreadful 8 valve version that has been around since the mid 1990s.

OP does she have to buy brand new? Jettas suffer huge depreciation, she might be better off looking at 08 models and save money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭henry hill

Yes, this 1.6 is the 102Bhp version she is looking at. Very little to get excited about here

I have asked her to even have a look at the new Golf, but she's more interested in the Jettas bigger boot. A 09 Demo model maybe considered (she would perfer a 09 car)

The main query i have then is:
    *Whether the E7300-7500 she is being offered for her 05 Bora is a good price?
    *And if 22500 is a good price for a 09 Jetta 1.6 CF 102Bhp ?

henry hill wrote: »
    Yes, this 1.6 is the 102Bhp version she is looking at. Very little to get excited about here

I have asked her to even have a look at the new Golf, but she's more interested in the Jettas bigger boot. A 09 Demo model maybe considered (she would perfer a 09 car)

The main query i have then is:
    *Whether the E7300-7500 she is being offered for her 05 Bora is a good price?
    *And if 22500 is a good price for a 09 Jetta 1.6 CF 102Bhp ?

No.1 €7,500 seems reasonable
    No.2 From finding out that that 1.6 is a crappy old engine, i would advise against it. Come three years time trading in, your not going to be looking at alot. If she can afford the 1.4tsi, then go for it. I wouldn't advise one of the 1.6's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Nobody is ever going to want a 1.6 Jetta when you try to sell it on, certainly not at €630 road tax every year they're not.

And the 1.6 isn't even available any more, there's so you'll be buying a "new" car that's actually last year's model.

The cheapest (and best) Jetta is the 1.4 TSI, which by all accounts would appear to be a great little engine.

The base diesel is the dreadful 1.9 TDI, however the 2.0 TDI should now be the new common rail engine thank the lord and if the OP is interested in a diesel Jetta then it just has to be this engine. I could be wrong on this, and the 2.0 TDI may still be the antiquated PD lump but if I am well let's put it this way: the common rail engine is on the in the very near future.

Having said all that, a Passat now costs less than the equivalent Jetta as 1.4 TSI has recently received a €3k price cut so it now starts at €23,760 for a new one.

The 1.9 TDI has also had a €3k price cut but you really don't want to try that engine. It demonstrates all of the many failings and drawbacks of inferior engine type, and fortunately an engine type that is losing ground in Europe to proper good old fashioned petrol engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,458 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There is a lot to recommend the Diesel over the TSI, despite it's much discussed lack of refinement it is a strong engine that gives good fuel economy, and will certainly be worth more than the petrol equivelant. I'd avoid the Jetta, it's basically a booted version of the defunct Mk5 Golf, which isn't cheap enough, especailly when the Passat or it's peers can be had for similar money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There is a lot to recommend the Diesel over the TSI, despite it's much discussed lack of refinement it is a strong engine that gives good fuel economy, and will certainly be worth more than the petrol equivelant. I'd avoid the Jetta, it's basically a booted version of the defunct Mk5 Golf, which isn't cheap enough, especailly when the Passat or it's peers can be had for similar money.

Well we all know my well documented dislike of diesels, especially that dreaded VW 1.9 diesel:D!

Seriously though I've just thought of another reason not to buy the 1.9 TDI - there is a 2.0 TDI with 110 bhp coming soon that will replace the 1.9 TDI.

More to the point this engine will be available in the Passat and Jetta sooner rather than later. It's on sale Germany in these cars for a few months at this stage.

The cynic in me says this is part of the reason why the 1.9 TDI has had a €3k price cut.

There will also be a Bluemotion II Passat with this very engine coming next year, perhaps we might actually get the Bluemotion model this time as when the new Avensis actually does get around to being launched (whenever Toyota dealers find enough people silly enough to buy those unwanted 1.6 Avensis presumably, though even the diesels are being sold with big discounts these days) the 2.0 D-4D will be one of the select few band B cars in this category, and of course only the new Bluemotion II Passat will get into band B with its 128 g/km CO2 reading(the exact same as a 177 bhp 320d you'll note); the only other band Bs in the segment are the Mondeo ECOnetic and the Renault Laguna 1.5 dCi. The forthcoming ECOflex Insignia will also be in band B, though it's not coming till next June AFAIK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement