Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange one...help getting guitar home from Chicago...

Options
  • 09-12-2008 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Everybody,

This is a rather strange request...but I'm really stuck (and apologies if it's in the wrong tread but kind of Christmas related).

Basically I'm trying to get a guitar home to Ireland from Chicago - if it could be here before Christmas it would be great, but at this stage that's probably not possible. The story is that my brother visited Chicago last Christmas to play for a wedding. While there he bought a fairly expensive guitar (of course a lot cheaper than what you'd get in Ireland). Unfortunately the guitar wasn't in stock and he couldn't bring it home with him - friends were supposed to be visiting Chicago a few months later and bring it home then. The friends plans fell through and the guitar is still in the US. It's been kept for him by friends of friends (stayed at their house during wedding, but know them that well). He has since tried to get the guitar sent home via US post or courier - but as far as we can see all of the US operators will only accept a US credit card as payment, which we don't have.

I was just wondering has anyone else had a similar experience of trying to get something large sent to Ireland from the US and how did they manage it? Any ideas at all??

And before you say it....I know it's a very stupid situation now...but tell that to my 21yr old brother who REALLY wanted that guitar!!!

Thanks for you help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

There are certain companies set up that allow someone to buy products that do not ship out of the states and will forward them to the person.

Google US forwarding companies. I think one of them might be Aramex(.com), cant get the site to open here this morning though.

You may be leaving it a bit late though to get it here in time for christmas.

Another thing worth noting is that you may be liable for duty on the item coming through customs so you could ask your friends to mark the value lower on the packaging, i'm unsure as to the legality of that though.

Advertisement