Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid Appoint Ramos as Manager

• 09-12-2008 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

Jaysus, i wasn't expecting that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well it was clear Shuster was dead man walking but thats a small suprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Yeah I just watched the press conference here. Still on actually with Ramos now. Mijatovic said he decided to fire Schuster because this season things were not going well. He mentioned it to Calderon and the board this morning then brought Schuster in. In all honesty the guy was on the brink anyway and his comments that Real Madrid could not beat Barcelona this week done him no favours at all. Calderon when asked about the comments said thy were not his beliefs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

That's crazy.

Poor start to season- CHOP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

It's a bit surprising alright.

tribulus wrote: »
    It's a bit surprising alright.

No surprise. If you watch La liga you would know that he has been on the brink for the last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Schuster was a dead man walking alright. Suprised to see Ramos get the job..

Real really need to give a manager a few years at the club..how long before Ramos is under pressure I wonder? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I meant the hiring of Ramos. Then again off the top of my head no other names come to mind straight away, who else was interested or available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,448 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I meant the hiring of Ramos. Then again off the top of my head no other names come to mind straight away, who else was interested or available?
    Roy Keane, obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

well he still has a big reputation over there and it seems to suit both parties. a large part of the reason why most establishedmanagers dont wanna go to madrid is because it is a poisond chalice however ramos has nothing to lose

Roy Keane, obviously.

Press conference is now over. The press asked Mijatovic why they replaced Schuster when the people were calling for Calderon to be replaced. He just answered that Calderon does not make the decisions and that he does and it was his decision to fire Schuster. He said that they might make some more changes before the end of the season. The press asked about Schusters comments that Real Madrid could not beat Barcelona and all he answered was that he talked with Schuster this morning and that everything is now alright ! If by alright he means firing him then ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Real really need to give a manager a few years at the club

Ramos is replaced until the end of the year. So unless he seriously turns things around, he'll be on his way out also. I have sneaky suspission that Jose Mourinho will get the job for the next campaign and hopefully be given a few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I'm sure one of the big La Liga fans will correct me if I'm wrong but I think there's a rule in Spain where a manager can't swap one La Liga club for another mid-season, so I guess that limited Real's options a little.

carlop wrote: »
    I'm sure one of the big La Liga fans will correct me if I'm wrong but I think there's a rule in Spain where a manager can't swap one La Liga club for another mid-season, so I guess that limited Real's options a little.

Yes that rule is correct. A club cannot poach a coach from another club during the campaign

I'm not in the least bit suprised by that. You cannot poach managers mid season in Spain and Ramos was available and his reputation in Spain is still good. No suprises. he'll probably do well too.

Me.

I'm gutted I was overlooked!

Marca are saying that Schusters comment after sunday nights Sevilla match that it was not possible for for Real Madrid http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055435138&page=7 to win at the nou camp this weekend more or less sealed his faith.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

well Ramos did well out of his time in England, didnt have to stay too long got a really big compensation payout and then after a nice break got the Real Madrid job, he should be fairly happy imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Joe Kinnear linked with Barcelona too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its a ridiculous decision to sack Schuster for a number of reasons.
    Calderon made a hash of the Ronaldo affair and ended up selling their most influential player last season Robinho
    Real have had a huge amount of injuries to key players ,mostly RVN and Schneider two of their best players.
    Casillas has lost his form.
    For years he was winning matches single handedly for Real by making save after save.
    Barcelona have raised the bar so far that no team in La Liga or perhaps Europe can match them.
    They are on fire at the moment.

Schuster's main problem was his disdain for the media and even when he won the league last season he rubbed the media up the wrong way.
    Now that Real are struggling the vulture media have savaged him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Poor old Mancini will never be employed again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Poor old Mancini will never be employed again

LOL%20cat.jpg

How many managers have they had in the last 10 years?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

got to hand it to Real - they never have a dull moment at that club!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

syngindub wrote: »
    Ramos is replaced until the end of the year. So unless he seriously turns things around, he'll be on his way out also. I have sneaky suspission that Jose Mourinho will get the job for the next campaign and hopefully be given a few years

I couldn't see Mourinhos footballing "style" going down too well at Real.

JPA wrote: »
    I couldn't see Mourinhos footballing "style" going down too well at Real.
    Could happen though. He dont have many friends in Italy at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

shocking that Stan didn't get the job!! some things huh!

Could happen though. He dont have many friends in Italy at the moment.

to be honest - i reckon Mourinho's next job is going to be manager of Man United. I can't see him working at Real - no way would he accept some of the crap the various presidents try to pull all the time.

• Advertisement

to be honest - i reckon Mourinho's next job is going to be manager of Man United. I can't see him working at Real - no way would he accept some of the crap the various presidents try to pull all the time.
    Im a United fan myself. I wouldn't object to him, but think Fergie be picking the manager tbh.

And there have been strong rumours going round that mourinho is the man Fergie wants to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

damn i said ramos would be the next real manager to my flat mate about 2/3 weeks ago, should have thrown a score on it :( it an interesting appointment, Ramos still has a big reputation in Spain and imho the one reason he failed with Spurs was the language, never being comfortable with it makes it very difficult in the dressing room to get players motivated while explaining their role clearly enough.

i reckon he could do a job there anyway; he is very strict and if the players actually listen to him and dont get sick of the strict ethos (a big if), it wouldnt surprise me to see Real winning La Liga this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I don't know a huge amount about Spanish football or Real Madrid so this could easily be a retarded idea, but does anyone think Real should have considered making Raul player/manager for the rest of the season?

Madrid's players often seem to do as they please and watching the Sevilla match the other day the commentator was saying how the players appeared to have little to no respect for Schuster. The one thing that is guaranteed with Raul is that he is respected. He is a legend at the club, and if he was given some good, experienced coaching staff to work with could be the man to motivate the team.

His total inexperience as a manager and the fact that he is still one of their best players are obvious pretty big flaws, but hey this is Real Madrid! Logic goes out the window!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Raul runs far too hot and cold to be even considered at this stage of his career for Real manager.

Not surprised by this in the slightest, on neither aspect in fact. Ramos was the very obvious choice.

What a cauldron he is jumping into for his first league match this weekend!

You need to be qualified to be a manager (unless your name is Garreth Southgate!).
    That's why they overlooked me.

Really though, it's all politics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Ramos still has a big reputation in Spain and imho the one reason he failed with Spurs was the language, never being comfortable with it makes it very difficult in the dressing room to get players motivated while explaining their role clearly enough.

i reckon he could do a job there anyway; he is very strict and if the players actually listen to him and dont get sick of the strict ethos (a big if), it wouldnt surprise me to see Real winning La Liga this season.
    I agree with most of this analysis, save for them winning the league. I reckon Barca will win it this year. It's obvious Ramos's disastrous spell in England hasn't done him too much damage in the homeland.

Aidric wrote: »
    It's obvious Ramos's disastrous spell in England hasn't done him too much damage in the homeland.

Jesus the guy won them their first trophy in 17 years and managed to beat one of the top sides in Europe in the final. Give him some credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

How many managers have they had in the last 10 years?:eek:

Juande Ramos
    Bernd Schuster
    Fabio Capello
    Juan Ramón López Caro
    Vanderlei Luxemburgo
    Mariano Garcia Remon
    Jose Antonia Camacho
    Carlos Queiroz
    Vicent del Bosque
    John Tosack
    Guus Hiddink

11 managers since December 1998.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Such a joke of a club.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

the managers are almost a novelty at this stage for real.
    i think they have some team though! im a big fan of ze dutch so i cant help but like some of their players.... still hate the club though and wish they lose every game 6 - 0 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

We've all heard the stuff about players who leave Arsenal experiencing a career decline but does anyone else find it interesting how, conversely, managers who leave Spurs tend to see their careers improve? I'm thinking of Christian Gross, Martin Jol and now Juande Ramos...

Maybe 'Arry will wind up with the Liverpool job soon enough. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Poor Jan-Klaas Huntelaar,
    he did not know this was going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

you are dead right, he probably knew all along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If the casual fan knew that Schuster was on the way out, so did Huntelaar. Besides, he was not signing for Schuster, he was signing for Real Madrid.

According to Graham Hunter on Newstalk this morning, after Schusters "we cannot win" comments, Raul visited Calderon to demand the removal of Schuster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Sevilla:
    Played 133
    Won 75
    Draw28
    Lost 30
    % Won 56.39

Thats a pritty good record now infairness.Maybe he's more suited to Spainish football

Poor Jan-Klaas Huntelaar,
    he did not know this was going to happen.

Who cares ? It is not as if he was signed by or even wanted by the manager in the first place.

Advertisement