Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with deposit

Options
  • 09-12-2008 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I moved into a house with a few friends over a year ago. our lease is now up and we had the property inspection yesterday. an issue has arrived over a couch in the house.
    Around 2 weeks after moving into the house one of the lads i live with sat down on the couch and we heard a crack. on inspecting the couch the frame of the couch had cracked under his weight. we reported the issue to our letting agency and they sent someone around to fix it . when the maintanence person called out to fix the couch he screwed on a new leg for the couch just off to the right of the craic. a few months later the couch was beggining to sag so we decided just to put a cinder block where the crack was and didnt think anymore of it
    Now the landlord and agent are wanting us to pay for the couch . they claim that the sofa was brand new even though it wasnt as we found childs laying cards down the side of it .
    where do we stand on this? i personally thinkthey shouldnt be able to take some of our deposit as we reported it straight away and it was there maintanence man who didnt fix it properly!
    help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

It sounds tricky.
    You guys broke the couch, you said as much to the letting agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tonyfillony

RedPlanet wrote: »
    It sounds tricky.
    You guys broke the couch, you said as much to the letting agency.

Sure all he did was sit on it !

You shoulda reported the shoddy repair job.
    Suppose you'll have to state your case to the landlord, then maybe it's the small claims court if you feel you've been wronged.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You shoulda reported the shoddy repair job.
    Suppose you'll have to state your case to the landlord, then maybe it's the small claims court if you feel you've been wronged.

PRTB in the first instance afaik

They have no teeth.
    For legal matters, i'd say litigation is best.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

They have no teeth.

Now that the Revenue Commissioners are getting full access to the PRTB databases etc- I think you'll find people wanting to be compliant......

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

New sofas don't break under normal use - unless it was manufacturing problem.

If it was manufacturing problem, they should have gone back to the vendor when it originally broke.

Stand your ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭jacool

Victor wrote: »
    Stand your ground.
    Good advice, as I wouldn't sit down in your position !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

They have no teeth.
    You can't go to court over this. You have to go to the PRTB first.

Advertisement