Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cavan too mean to grit icy roads = cars crashing

Options
  • 09-12-2008 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Cavan too mean to grit icy roads - I heard on the radio this morn

Is this happening all over the country?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭rvd156

In Leitrim last Monday there were rumours that the council had not got enough money to grit the roads...

So maybe it applies to Cavan aswell...But you know what they say about Cavan....:D:D(JOKE before people go crazy!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

Same in Westmeath. I stopped for a lady who had spun out of control on ice and crashed into the ditch on Saturday at about 5pm. I was with her for half an hour until her family came to get her. In that half hour, two other people crashed!
    I called the gaurds in Mullingar to report the hazzardous conditions and they couldn't have cared less. They said they would report it to the council. The road was still the exact same this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Well they definitely grit the roads in Tipperary. I was stuck behind a gritter from Clonmel to Tipperary the other day and the fool wouldn't turn off the 'grit', even when stuck in traffic. I gave him as much space as I could but my car was still destroyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭blackbox

worded wrote: »
    Cavan too mean to grit icy roads - I heard on the radio this morn

It's not that long since Cavan County Council was too mean to put a SURFACE on the roads. You'd take your life in your hands trying to get to Baileboro.

Some guy used to go around at night putting white paint around the potholes (craters) so that you could see them. He wasn't too popular with the council because he also used to write "shame" on the roads.

That was the last recession.... you know what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

blackbox wrote: »
    It's not that long since Cavan County Council was too mean to put a SURFACE on the roads. You'd take your life in your hands trying to get to Baileboro.

Some guy used to go around at night putting white paint around the potholes (craters) so that you could see them. He wasn't too popular with the council because he also used to write "shame" on the roads.

That was the last recession.... you know what to expect.

Really funny - It's not that long since Cavan County Council was too mean to put a SURFACE on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

colsers22 wrote: »
    I called the gaurds in Mullingar to report the hazzardous conditions and they couldn't have cared less. They said they would report it to the council. The road was still the exact same this morning.

The guards in Mullingar would have already reported that road to AA roadwatch (they ring every district HQ for updates incl. collisions) and to inform the council is the right thing to do. Don't know what they could have done beyound that!!!!

I did a 18 mile round trip this morning bringing the kids to school from Cavan into Meath and back again. The roads were awful but the amount of drivers driving 60-70kph was just crazy.

So I wouldn't blame the councils entirely for the collisions that took place today. Lob in the bad drivers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It hasn't been icy in Limerick this week, but last week when it was, the roads were gritted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Most of my route to work this morning was gritted as it is mostly along a national secondary route, but the bit between my house and the main road was interesting, to say the least. I never saw my traction control light flashing as much as it was this morning :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I saw a gritter machine outside Newcastlewest today pulled over. Not the problem.

It was a gritter trailer hooked up to a open back loader truck which is conveniently in front of the gritter.

Chicken and the egg situation. What if it were too icy to drive the truck?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Berty wrote: »
    What if it were too icy to drive the truck?

Drive in reverse?? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

TheNog wrote: »
    Drive in reverse?? :pac:

Oh you would love that wouldnt you copper. :D

How long a list of infractions could you write up for that? Nearly go for breakfast early. :D

Advertisement