Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adelaide

Options
  • 09-12-2008 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Im thinking of travelling down from cairns to melbourne and taking in sydney on the way, i was wondering if its worth my while going to Adelaide after that?
    Is there anything good in Adelaide?
    Is it worth my while?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

PJ O'Briens Thursday night for ladies night.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

...so thats the only good thing about Adelaide? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

fulmer1984 wrote: »
    ...so thats the only good thing about Adelaide? lol

Sorry I was only there for two/three nights. I'm sure someone else will come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

In a word .. NO.

Was there for a w/end and couldn't wait to leave. I hate to say it but it is bogansville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I haven't been there....but apparently it's just full of Churches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

ok so i havent heard anything good about adelaide so far, think i might be giving it a miss...btw..are there any small towns that people know of along the east coast that are worth visiting?

There are lots of interesting towns in country Victoria. You could make a visit to Ballarat which is steeped in history or even Bendigo which is a fairly large sized town with lots of decent watering holes and eateries. If you feel like some coastal breeze you could always head up the Great Ocean Road and stop off in Lorne or Killarney which are both lovely spots. But avoid during Christmas when its a bit crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol that's exactly what I was told about it too!

Isn't this fact alone enough to put off anyone who grew up in Catholic Ireland from going there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 loafysophy

It's funny reading these posts as I see similar comments posted on other travel websites. Usually by people that have either never been to Adelaide or those that have visited for a day or two mid week when there's not as much going on.

Adelaide is a beautiful city, well planned on a grid, with great weather (particularly Autumn and Spring). The traffic is pretty good and the aiport is only 10 mins from the city centre.

Sure Adelaide isn't a tourist mecca like the East coast but there are still plenty of things to do.

For starters, Adelaide is way cheaper the most of the other capital cities. It has some of the best food and wine in Australia, and awesome coffee. If you're after food during the day head to the central markets and pick up a picnic (not open Sunday or Monday). http://www.adelaidecentralmarket.com.au/about-us There's loads of great resturants all over town so you won't struggle in the food department (north adelaide, Gouger street and rundle street are but a few good spots). If you're into wine, South Australia has some (if not the best) wines in the country. The national wine centre is on north terrace next to the bontanic gardens (which are worth a look) http://www.wineaustralia.com.au/. There are several wine growing areas a 30min to 1hour drive from the city as well which are well worth a visit if you're staying in South Australia for longer than than just a weekend.

Adelaide is home to Coopers beer, with the Pale Ale being the favourite tipple for most Adeladieans. Do not drink west end!! The brewery is close to town and you can go on a brewery tour http://www.coopers.com.au/. If your after pubs, Adelaide has a fantastic pub culture, with loads of great pubs all over town. Rundle street is a great place for food and drink. The Exeter Pub is one of my favourites, a bit grungy with live music on most nights. The Austral on the other side of the road isn't bad either. If you want to know where there is music on, head to the following website for all yr music needs http://www.ripitup.com.au/. This is a free street press newspaper so you'll see it about the place in record shops and cafes etc.

If you're new to oz and you haven't got up close and personal with the fauna yet the Cleland wildlife park in the Adelaide hills is great. Park is about 30min east of the city centre. These animals have been rescued and are semi tame. You can roam around with the roos and emus and pat a koala if you're up to it. http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/sanpr/clelandconservationwp/

If the weather is warm and you want to head to the beach there's plenty of choice close by as Adelaide is very close to the coast. You can catch a tram to Glenelg which is a popular weekend spot, or you can catch a train south to Brighton or Seacliff or head north to the sandier beaches of Grange and Semaphore.

If there's any cricket on at the Adelaide Oval, then this is a must see for any visitor to Adelaide. The oval is the 'most beautiful cricket ground in the world' and in the city centre. Alternatively if you're visiting in the winter there's AFL matches on at AAMI stadium with local teams the Adelaide Crows and Port Adelaide Power.

..... and, yes... there are plenty of nice churches if that's what you're into. No more than any of the other capital cities mind you.

Hope this helps. :)

Loafysophy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement