Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Clampers

Options
  • 09-12-2008 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭

My friend has just been clamped by those busy boys of NCPS. He cant afford the 120 Euro removal fee (pay day is friday!). He's going to take the clamp off himself (its on private land so he is in a legal grey area as he is not damaging state property). Now aside from the right and wrongs of this issue which no doubt some people will want to talk about, I was wondering if anybody knew what the best way to take the clamp off would be? the clamp has been put on so that the chain loops between the wheel axel and the wishbone so its not a matter of deflating the tyres and driving slowly out of it. This chain, lock or clamp has to be broken!

Now best way to do this? small angle grinder? massive bolt cutter? hacksaw? any other tricks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

small angle grinder

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

My friend has just been clamped by those busy boys of NCPS. He cant afford the 120 Euro removal fee (pay day is friday!). He's going to take the clamp off himself (its on private land so he is in a legal grey area as he is not damaging state property).
    No grey area about it, I'm afraid, it's Criminal Damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

The bolt is about a cm thick. it might (probably is) made of hardened steel, would the angel grinder be best used on the lock? or the chain or even the softer metal of the triangular clamp itself?

Robbo wrote: »
    No grey area about it, I'm afraid, it's Criminal Damage.

I dont see how it could be criminal damage if it is on private land, it would be legal decided on case law. If I came to your house and put a device over your door that stopped you from opening your houses front door and you cut this device off, there is not a judge or jury in the land that would covict you of criminal damage. Therefore the law is dependeant on the previous cases and the result of your case (should you be prosecuted for criminal damage) thus making it a bit of a grey area!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

there was a fairly long thread about the legality of this a while back, but thats beside the point.

If you have a small angle grinder i'd imagine that would be your best bet. Otherwise a big bolt cutters.
    I'd try and go for the lock. I've never donr it before though so I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I dont see how it could be criminal damage if it is on private land, it would be legal decided on case law. If I came to your house and put a device over your door that stopped you from opening your houses front door and you cut this device off, there is not a judge or jury in the land that would covict you of criminal damage. Therefore the law is dependeant on the previous cases and the result of your case (should you be prosecuted for criminal damage) thus making it a bit of a grey area!

Was your friend parked on his own private land when he was clamped, or in someone else's land?

Were there any signs posted to inform people of the parking restrictions and penalties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Unless you're parked on your own land then yes it's criminal damage and yes you will be prosecuted for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I think he means the clamp was applied on private land- i.e landowner clamping illegally parked vehicles.

hacksaw for chain perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

clampers are legally authorised to put their property over your wheel.

seeing as you have not mentioned the person was clamped illegally/unfairly
    then i presume you are not disputing the clamping.

if you damage that clampers property then that is criminal damage and its not
    as if they cant track you down.

Surly he can rustle up the money from somewhere, even borrow it from a friend until Friday.

• Advertisement

eoin wrote: »
    Was your friend parked on his own private land when he was clamped, or in someone else's land?

Were there any signs posted to inform people of the parking restrictions and penalties?

He was parked on someone elses private land, there were signs up informing both himself and myself that calmping was in operation if the rules were contravened, neither of us broke the regulations posted on the signs, he was clamped, I was not. he is raging!

I know there has been discussions about the legality of this before but regardless off this, the clamp has to come off. 120 Euro isnt an option. Has anybody dispatched one of these triagular wheel clamps before?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I laughed at the end when all he could muster was a "*****rs". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Not that I would advise you to actually do this, but. I would say the easiest would be to cut the lock with a bolt cutters, unless he has a cordless angle grinder. Snip the lock, the chain will probably keep moving making a quick and quite snip arkward.

Not that I would advise you to actually do this, but. I would say the easiest would be to cut the lock with a bolt cutters, unless he has a cordless angle grinder. Snip the lock, the chain will probably keep moving making a quick and quite snip arkward.

Were thinking small electric angle grinder ( 630 volt motor fromm woodies) powered by car (adapter for mains from halfords) total cost 50-70 euro.

What size of bolt cutter would be needed to cut off the beast of the paddlock (1cm diameter shaft), where would sell them and how much are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

What size of bolt cutter would be needed to cut off the beast of the paddlock (1cm diameter shaft), where would sell them and how much are they?

I think it would be against the forum charter to suggest how to cause criminal damage. Im sure of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Never tried it before myself, but you will probably need a large bolt cutters, it will make the job quicker. At the end of the day you want the clamp off before anyone tried to stop you. You will probably get the bolt cutter in Woodies. Angle Grinder would be noisey and may take a few minutes.

Now back to my master criminal plans to take over the world.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I was parked outside my girlfriends house in an estate in Clonskeagh a few months ago. She had her own space for a car in the house, but she didnt drive at the time. I always parked in it, with no problem. Got up early one morning, i had an important meeting that morning, got up, put the suit on, went out to the car to find a nice bright yellow clamp on it. Sticker said my vehicle wasnt authorised to park in that space. "I think you'll find it is sir, my girlfriend lives here, this is her space!!!" I had no choice but to pay it because i was in a rush, but -

TELL YOUR FRIEND I'LL HELP HIM CUT IT OFF

These boyo's dont really car - that could have been my girlfriends car in HER spot, she still would have had to fork out the money and then appeal it. I wouldnt have a second thought of cutting it off in his situation.

Berty wrote: »
    I think it would be against the forum charter to suggest how to cause criminal damage. Im sure of it.

My friend is no criminal, he is a car enthusiast, his car is his pride and joy (like myself and probably a lot of other people on this forum), not only does he love his car he also needs it to get around! Now he was wrongly clamped by a company who make money out of people by clamping them and demanding a ransom to remove it! He wasnt even breaking their own regulations posted on their sign. This is not criminal damage, this is fair. I dont think it would be against the spirit of this forum to try and help simaliarly minded people who find themselves in harsh circumstances! so if you have a trick up your sleeve Berty, please do share!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

Were thinking small electric angle grinder ( 630 volt motor fromm woodies) powered by car (adapter for mains from halfords) total cost 50-70 euro.

that would mean spending almost half the fine to remove it illegally...?
    My friend is no criminal, he is a car enthusiast, his car is his pride and joy (like myself and probably a lot of other people on this forum), not only does he love his car he also needs it to get around! Now he was wrongly clamped by a company who make money out of people by clamping them and demanding a ransom to remove it! He wasnt even breaking their own regulations posted on their sign. This is not criminal damage, this is fair. I dont think it would be against the spirit of this forum to try and help simaliarly minded people who find themselves in harsh circumstances! so if you have a trick up your sleeve Berty, please do share!
    One British man became so annoyed at having his car clamped, that he removed the clamp with an angle grinder. He is now a self-styled superhero called Angle-Grinder Man, offering to remove clamps for free with his angle grinder. [1] This says nothing of any subsequent unlawful removal fees his practice may have resulted in.
    Other motorists have taken the action of cutting the clamps off with bolt cutters
    He has plenty of experience and he uses an angle grinder....

Interesting to know:
    In Scotland, wheel-clamping on private land is illegal. It was banned by the case of Black v Carmichael 1992 SCCR 709, when wheel-clamping was found to constitute extortion and theft.
    In England and Wales, wheel-clampers operating on private land must be individually licensed by the Security Industry Authority. Operating in such circumstances without a valid license, or in breach of its conditions (which include displaying ID at all times), is a criminal offence under the Private Security Industry Act, 2001.

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=hciSjI3RDCE

I personally think clamping the clampers is the best!!!!
    http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=xZeSzPdilvQ

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

Description of the clamp? They are various types...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Here's what I would do:
    An angle grinder will cut through anything. You can rent one from somewhere like Swan Plant, HSS, JW Hire or any tool hire place. I'll go through any part of the clamp like a hot knife through butter. But an old towel or something around the wheel arch so the sparks won't damage the paint work.
    Not sure what bits you need to cut, or how clamps are put on, but a grinder will be hard to cut the slack part of a chain. Not sure if you need to cut those bits though, but if you do get your mate to wear a workmans glove or something and hold the bit of chain with a vicegrips.

I know its nearly half the money to do it illegally/rightously, but it would also mean he would never have to worry about getting clamped again if he had the equipment to deal with it! (and im sure he could help me out if I got clamped!) I think its time for a dublin superhero clamp remover!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

He has plenty of experience and he uses an angle grinder....
    Angel Grinder Man looks scary!
    _39342766_anglegrinderman3_203.jpg
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/3112670.stm
    Superhero' takes on clampers.
    The self-proclaimed superhero operates in Kent and London
    Clad in a blue leotard and wielding a saw, a man claiming to be the UK's first wheel clamp vigilante is offering his services to motorists.
    Angle-grinder Man - a self-proclaimed superhero - patrols by night looking for unhappy drivers who have been clamped and then sets their cars free.

He promises to take on clamping firms, speed cameras and the congestion charge on behalf of drivers.

An odd-job man by day, he claims to operate in Kent during the week and in London at weekends.

A hotline number on his website offers a free wheel clamp removal service.

I for one am prepared to fight for what is fair and am making myself available to the public

Angle-grinder Man

On calling, an answer phone message invites callers to "leave a message after the grinding sound".

The unnamed man, who wears a costume of gold boots and crotch-hugging pants over a blue leotard, said he was happy to take the risk.

"It's a public service," he says on his website.

"I for one am prepared to fight for what is fair and am making myself available to the public.

"I may not be able to single-handedly and totally cast off the repressive shackles of a corrupt government - but I can cut off your wheel-clamps for you."

He says he decided to go "full-time vigilante" in May this year.

"My obsession with wheel-clamping is actually a rebellion against a much deeper malaise," he said.

"Namely, the arrogant contempt that politicians hold for the people who put them into power, and whom they claim to represent."

A Kent Police spokeswoman said no complaint about wheel clamps being cut off had been made by either a clamping firm or a member of the public.

A spokeswoman for the Metropolitan Police said they could not investigate unless a crime was reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Out of curiosity, what recourse will NCPS have? I hope they don't have access to any car registration database, so is it just a case of them reporting the damage to the Gardai for them to follow up?

Description of the clamp? They are various types...

Its a yellow triangle placed in front of the wheel, at each corner there is a chain, the chain at the top runs down loosely behind the wheel and connects with the triangular clamp at the bottom right corner. in the middle of this chain another connecting chain runs off this, through the wheel axel and suspension strut to connect with the bottom left corner of the clamp where the paddlock is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Im not condoning clamping, i think this is stupidity of the highest order in all areas. Bring back the traffic warden and a ticket!

Just wondering have you tried roaring down a phone at somebody saying you were intitled to be in there etc Parked correctly, tell them they have damaged private property and as such......you've got 5minutes to get here.
    I assume it was in an apartment block or something yeah?

I was under the impression that the only "Legal" clampers are the ones employed by the CO.CO's to enforce parking in public areas. It is common knowledge that management companies are cowboys!

Quint wrote: »
    Here's what I would do:
    An angle grinder will cut through anything. You can rent one from somewhere like Swan Plant, HSS, JW Hire or any tool hire place. I'll go through any part of the clamp like a hot knife through butter. But an old towel or something around the wheel arch so the sparks won't damage the paint work.
    Not sure what bits you need to cut, or how clamps are put on, but a grinder will be hard to cut the slack part of a chain. Not sure if you need to cut those bits though, but if you do get your mate to wear a workmans glove or something and hold the bit of chain with a vicegrips.

Thanks! this looks like the course of action! i hope the car adaptor is a high enough voltage and i hope the mini electic grinder slices right through it! in answer to what recourse do NCPS have, I do not know. But what can they say? we clamped a car, its now gone along with our clamp, this is the reg. If the guards do take them seriously which they most probably wont given it was private land, they cannot prove they put the clamp on legally or that it was taken off illegally or who it was taken off by. So i dont think they can do much other than threaten!

cabrwab wrote: »
    Im not condoning clamping, i think this is stupidity of the highest order in all areas. Bring back the traffic warden and a ticket!

Just wondering have you tried roaring down a phone at somebody saying you were intitled to be in there etc Parked correctly, tell them they have damaged private property and as such......you've got 5minutes to get here.
    I assume it was in an apartment block or something yeah?

I was under the impression that the only "Legal" clampers are the ones employed by the CO.CO's to enforce parking in public areas. It is common knowledge that management companies are cowboys!

When I was clamped myself down in Galway (i was breaking their well signposted but doubtfully legally binding rules), I tried this but the guy on the phone said he wasnt coming until I calmed down, when he arrived I went mental at him and he got in to drive away and I had to stand in front of his van and pursuade him to I was calm so that he could take my money and the clamp off as i was in a rush! (one off the most sicken momments of my life!) They are cowboys indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Well they do take multiple photos of the car, where its parked, the clamp on the car, the area around the clamp before and after to show no damage was done and one of the reg. Of course these would all be time stamped. If you are positive they clamped your friend in the wrong ring the Guards and tell them, if the guards agree then let the guards deal with it. If they get no where pay up and take legal action to recover the fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

kayos wrote: »
    Well they do take multiple photos of the car, where its parked, the clamp on the car, the area around the clamp before and after to show no damage was done and one of the reg. Of course these would all be time stamped. If you are positive they clamped your friend in the wrong ring the Guards and tell them, if the guards agree then let the guards deal with it. If they get no where pay up and take legal action to recover the fine.

And when you ring them to dispute and ask the person on the other end to check the photo's, in my case I was told the photos would not be received from anywhere from one to three days. A mate was on the way up with a angle grinder and generator when they un-clamped my car by accident(another car on the estate had paid up). Surprisingly they didn't re-clamp my car, I would have enjoyed destroying it.

Advertisement