Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Clampers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

kayos wrote: »
    Well they do take multiple photos of the car, where its parked, the clamp on the car, the area around the clamp before and after to show no damage was done and one of the reg. Of course these would all be time stamped. If you are positive they clamped your friend in the wrong ring the Guards and tell them, if the guards agree then let the guards deal with it. If they get no where pay up and take legal action to recover the fine.

this is probably the right answer.

I personally in a situation like this I would like to pay the fine and while they are removing the clamp, clamp their van. So it would be a trade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Well they do take multiple photos of the car, where its parked, the clamp on the car, the area around the clamp before and after to show no damage was done and one of the reg. Of course these would all be time stamped. If you are positive they clamped your friend in the wrong ring the Guards and tell them, if the guards agree then let the guards deal with it. If they get no where pay up and take legal action to recover the fine.

These guys take two photos of the car, one of the clamped wheel and one of the reg, (we have seen them do it as they regularly clamp at this spot. Anybody is allowed to park in these spots for a period of time but when you exceed this you get clamped. He was parked the same length of time as me (which was under the specified time allowed) and he got clamped, I didint. They cannot prove that the car was there for longer than the specified time (primarily because it wasnt) and because they have no time stamped records of when the car arrives in the space. I personally believe the guards have more important things to be getting on with than an issue which two ppl can sort out. If there is a problem later, the clampers can be given a taste of their own medicine by making it as hard as possible for them to recoup any losses of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

They cannot prove that the car was there for longer than the specified time (primarily because it wasnt) and because they have no time stamped records of when the car arrives in the space. I personally believe the guards have more important things to be getting on with than an issue which two ppl can sort out. If there is a problem later, the clampers can be given a taste of their own medicine by making it as hard as possible for them to recoup any losses of you!

Couple of points so

If they can not provide evidence of the car being clamped legally they are then illegally detaining (I would believe this the case) the car and the guards should do something about it if they refuse to release the car.

While I agree guards have more important matters to deal than getting clamping companies to release a car they should not have clamped in the first place. They also have better things to be doing than following up a criminal damage case that the clamping company will take against the two people who took the law into their own hands. Then there could be a court case. The end result of all this will be criminal charges against these people who removed the clamp, and the costs on the tax payer relating to the Guarda and possible Court time.

Did you even ring the clamping company to dicuss it with them?

Please dont get me wrong I'm not a clamper and not a fan of it either, a simple ticket with a big fine issued from a traffic warden is a better solution. but I dont think that two wrongs make a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

These guys take two photos of the car, one of the clamped wheel and one of the reg, (we have seen them do it as they regularly clamp at this spot. Anybody is allowed to park in these spots for a period of time but when you exceed this you get clamped. He was parked the same length of time as me (which was under the specified time allowed) and he got clamped, I didint. They cannot prove that the car was there for longer than the specified time (primarily because it wasnt) and because they have no time stamped records of when the car arrives in the space. I personally believe the guards have more important things to be getting on with than an issue which two ppl can sort out. If there is a problem later, the clampers can be given a taste of their own medicine by making it as hard as possible for them to recoup any losses of you!
    they get away with this everyday of the week...I'm sure they thought they would be able to do the same here.
    I still think the above is the right answer because in the long run the guards will be involved by the clampers....

I have 'heard of an idea' that if you want satisfaction, fill the lock involved with superglue, call them and pay the fine. Then when they come to remove the clamp...it film it....it will give you a laugh for years to come.....plus one dead clamp in the bin.... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

A dose of their own medicine........:D

Just cut off the clamp. This was discussed on the legal forum before- if it's on private land, they have no right to detain you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

As the others have said call the Gardai. They illegally detained your property. The thing with private clampers is that if you can remove the clamp without damaging it they do nothing to you, but once you damage their clamp you can be done for criminal damage. I'd much rather get them in trouble them me.

Are their no shops close to where you're parked that have CCTV? They may have images of both cars arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I have 'heard of an idea' that if you want satisfaction, fill the lock involved with superglue, call them and pay the fine. Then when they come to remove the clamp...it film it....it will give you a laugh for years to come.....plus one dead clamp in the bin.... :P

i think this was mentioned on top gear a while back .it was in france where people went around filling clamps with super glue just to piss off the clampers ,supposed to ruin the clamp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I have a friend who parked his car on property that had clamping in operation during the week. A company rented the space and paid a fee each year and they had clamping in operation. This lad was late one day and need to park the car so did so on and when he came back later he was clamped, he called them and they came but he wasnt paying to have it removed as he argued that where he had parked it was legal and they were wrong clamping. The clamper told him unless he paid the clamp was staying so he told him were to go and once he was gone with in five minutes another friend turned up with anglegrinder and they had it removed within five minutes and he threw the clamp in the car and drove off and to this day has never heard anything back from the company or guards about criminal damage to property.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Good luck!!!
    Happened to Me in Clontarf Road Dart Station after i bought my WEEKLY TICKET p*@y NCPS clamped me cost me 125 to get the fecker off and i sent a letter into the NCPS claims department and i have just got the same letter back stating that the address is not in use!!

Shower of F*@k bags along with ryanair :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

that would mean spending almost half the fine to remove it illegally...?

at least you have an angle grinder to show for your troubles, not propping up the scumbags involved in the clamping profession.

i'd buy the most expensive angle grinder i can find and a large diesel generator to power it before i'd give those ****ers a cent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

put a little notice on your car stating "any clamp placed on the car will be glued with superglue" gonna cover you on private land anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Private clamping companies have no access to the VRO database so they have no way of getting your details from a reg number. The photos are only taken to show that they didn't damange your car putting it on.

Speaking from experience, many guards have been clamped themselves at one time or another and could give less of a ****e about following up a clamping co.'s complaint that one of their precious clamps got sawed in half.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Appreciate all the useful comments and even the offer of help guys but I have bad news. He chickened out and paid the fine like everyone else does. When he rang up to give a bit of old fashioned hairdryer treatment to whoever was on the line, he found it was an automated service which gave the option of: press 1 for clamp removal or press 2 to report a veicle needing clamped! (sickening!) so he pressed one and again was given an automated service that told him it was an 80 Euro release fee as opposed to the 120 posted on the sign! (another sly trick to get ppl to pay rather than take matters into their own hands i think!) so with the alternative being risky and just as expensive he rolled over, paid his money and took it like a b***h! I was dissappointed to say the least, and I had left work before the superglue idea came on the forum (gutted!)

Appreciate all the useful comments and even the offer of help guys but I have bad news. He chickened out and paid the fine like everyone else does. When he rang up to give a bit of old fashioned hairdryer treatment to whoever was on the line, he found it was an automated service which gave the option of: press 1 for clamp removal or press 2 to report a veicle needing clamped! (sickening!) so he pressed one and again was given an automated service that told him it was an 80 Euro release fee as opposed to the 120 posted on the sign! (another sly trick to get ppl to pay rather than take matters into their own hands i think!) so with the alternative being risky and just as expensive he rolled over, paid his money and took it like a b***h! I was dissappointed to say the least, and I had left work before the superglue idea came on the forum (gutted!)

ah.. what a shame.thats ****ing awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

He chickened out! Exactly what the clampers knew he would do! I thought getting the money wasn't an option?

Clampers: 1
    Your mate: 0

If its one of the chain ones its probably strung around the steering linkage also.

Remove one or two bolts and you can remove the whole clamp undamaged.

The dullards they employ usually never put the chain round the axle.

If you do decide to cut it off make sure you are not seen or you could be liable for damage to the clamp.
    Its up to them to prove you damaged the clamp!

edit: the clampers have extorted more money :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

I wonder if the locks they use are resistant to picking? anybody with a few minutes and the right tools can pick a simple lock (lock bumping?). no damage, nothing to worry about (just throw away the tools you used to pick it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

You'd probably get away with picking the lock alright, but cutting it off it almost certainly criminal damage. And private companies DO have access tot he VRO database, check out cartell.ie for an example of that one. Either way, the guards would have access to it if they reported the damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

The Clamping Gestapo in Galway have thier hideaway behind the Topaz at the end of the Quincentenial Bridge here in Galway..... I have my lunch there and get great entertainment out of watching them jumped up t*ssers swaggering about like God himself :rolleyes:

"Get back you peasants do you not realise that I am a car clamper"

I have a notion of putting my own lock on their gate just to see their reactions when they realise what its like to be "clamped" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

some of the older clamps came off if u let the air out of your tyre.
    Ok, so ye need to go get air then but its better then bein clamped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMWAKxyJ9jQ

Or do it the irish way...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

And we wonder where the 1bn FAS budget goes :rolleyes:

The Clamping Gestapo in Galway have thier hideaway behind the Topaz at the end of the Quincentenial Bridge here in Galway..... I have my lunch there and get great entertainment out of watching them jumped up t*ssers swaggering about like God himself :rolleyes:

"Get back you peasants do you not realise that I am a car clamper"

I have a notion of putting my own lock on their gate just to see their reactions when they realise what its like to be "clamped" :D

Do eet!

Advertisement