Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What way would ya do this...

Options
  • 09-12-2008 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

I did a FETEC in computer maintenance and networking then got myself a job in desktop support. I've been here 6 months now and I'm looking to do a couple of certs, make myself more useful around the place!

I obviously know my way around a computers but my networking skills are limited, I'm able to troubleshoot network problems to an extent but I am by no means an expert. I'm wondering which I should do, a Netwoking+ or CCNA.

Some of the stuff on the Networking+ will be going over stuff I already know but would it be worth it for the stuff I would have missed, putting myself in a better position to sit a CCNA or am I just wasting time by doing it.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

If you want to brush up on your Network Skills go with the CCNA and progress from there to CCNP if you can. That's the route I would take anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

Never did the networking+ myself, but it would be more basic than the Cisco stuff. Saying that though, If your networking knowledge is fairly limited at the moment it couldn't hurt and might provide a better springboard into the cisco stuff. You could probably knock the networking+ on the head fairly quickly and then move onto the more advanced stuff. Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

Done both, go network+ see how well you get on and how much you really do no then Cisco, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tírghrá

Do a CCNA, in college now doing computing and doing the CCNA course and it covers everything. still finding it hard though but we all get there eventually:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 +Jim+

In my experience, the best techs know their stuff from the ground up. Do Network+ to get the theory and basics, would make first part of ccna much easier for you (similar material, same concepts). Once you're happy, progress to ccna pt2 and the cisco specific stuff. Takes time but that's a good grounding in networking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement