Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major flaw in UPS delivery service

Options
  • 09-12-2008 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi all,

Was just told on the phone that UPS delivery guys are not provided with a company mobile phone??? Eh what?

My apartment needs two security codes to get to my front door so I rang up UPS to ensure that the driver would give me a phone call when they reach my address so I could meet him at the main entrance. This would be quicker than explaining the security codes and which panel works, which doesn't, numbers have faded off the outer panel, etc. I was told it is up to the driver if he feels like calling you on his private mobile.

UPS solution to this problem:

I have to ring UPS head office first thing in the morning on the day of delivery so that they can pass on the door codes to the driver before he goes out on delivery...I couldn't do that today...no it has to be on the day of delivery and as soon as the office opens. That's fairly retarded for almost 2009.

The reason this annoys me so much is that I will be at the apartment all week and it will cost me +20euro to get a taxi out to the UPS depot if I miss the delivery...thats about double the initial shipping for the package from the UK.

Old backward Ireland is alive and well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Good old backward Ireland? The problem here is with the UPS call centre really.

I've found most of the couriers I deal with pretty good. If they can't find the building, they will ring you (usually from their own mobile) provided there is a contact number on the packing slip.

How does anything (post, pizza, etc) get delivered to your apartment?

Do you not have some sort of intercom thing at the main entrance that he could buzz you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

1) The Intercom has never worked as long as I have lived here.
    2) I don't order pizza.
    3) An Post know the codes to the doors to access everyones mailboxes.
    4) DHL and GLS always ring me when they are outside the building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

1) The Intercom has never worked as long as I have lived here.
    2) I don't order pizza.
    3) An Post know the codes to the doors to access everyones mailboxes.
    4) DHL and GLS always ring me when they are outside the building.

Maybe if you get the Intercom fixed you wont have this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

craichoe wrote: »
    Maybe if you get the Intercom fixed you wont have this issue.

Abso-frickin-lutely.

They don't know which guy is going to deliver to you till the day they are delivering to you.

You are one of dozens of places that just your guy is going to call to that day.

You will probably get a second bill from UPS in a month as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buckrodgers

I had a package delivered by ups two days ago after it was nearly two weeks late. I am in Cork and for some reason they sent it to Belfas by mistake, then Dublin. It was a Friday when it reached Dublin, there wasnt going to be any more deliveries until the Monday so that is when I eventually got it. Their customer service didnt give a damn. Never again will I use ups.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

UPS are generally fine for me ,very professional about their job aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Buffman

They do have company mobiles assigned to the vans, not the drivers. Apparently they are restricted to calling company numbers only, to keep costs down I suppose.

Your apartment building has some sort of management company, get them to fix the intercom.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Maybe the problem is with UPS in Cork city only but I won't be going near UPS again...

One package sent to France from England???
    Received three phonecalls about deliveries that had nothing to do with me. Aparently I'm now multiple people and a Polish woman too!

Rang them to find out what the hell was going on and was told there would be no delivery for me that day but it will arrive the next day.
    Get a fourth phonecall an hour later, each time from the same bloody driver, telling me he's outside the building somewhere in Blackpool with my packages...I don't live anywhere near Blackpool.

All in all a total and utter shambles of a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pjstack

Probably one of the most infuriating situations of recent times..
    organised a pick up in Cork County, got a call to say the driver had missed the time for that day.
    Re-arranged the pick-up for the following day between 9 am and 2 pm..
    Still no sign, and NO REASON OR EXPLANATION WHY!!!!!
    Called the main office in Dublin.
    Re-arranged for tomorrow.. I wouldn't hold my breath though..
    I wouldn't mind but I put something off, to hang around all morning for a non existent courier.
    I'll just continue to keep ringing the no. that was used to let me know that the were coming ......ha ha ha
    What a joke....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread - closing

dudara

• Advertisement
Advertisement