Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surge Protection

Options
  • 09-12-2008 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Ok, bit of advice needed please.

I work for a charity (money an issue), in an old'ish building with about 90 PC's. While I was away they had a power surge and outage - the power supply here while normally reliable, can just go. Although this has only happened about 5 times in 4 years. Anyway, a few pc's got crippled because of what happened, so i'm looking at how best to protect them, at the cheapest price.

Our servers are protected with UPS, so they are fine. Its the desktops and laptops that i'm worried over.

Seeing as money is an issue, will the cheap belkin €7 protector from powercity be as good as one that costs €15? Are laptops ok to not have to have protection because of their own battery (therefore backup)?

Any advice greatly appreciated,

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The are two things here: power protection and surge protection.
    Laptops and servers on UPS will survive a blackout, desktops won't.

If the UPS' has built in surge protection that will save the server from spikes/lightning/whatnot.

I know that APC has equipment protection on surge protectors (if it doesn't do the job they give you money), maybe Belkin and other do the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

alowe wrote: »
    Ok, bit of advice needed please.

I work for a charity (money an issue), in an old'ish building with about 90 PC's. While I was away they had a power surge and outage - the power supply here while normally reliable, can just go. Although this has only happened about 5 times in 4 years. Anyway, a few pc's got crippled because of what happened, so i'm looking at how best to protect them, at the cheapest price.

Our servers are protected with UPS, so they are fine. Its the desktops and laptops that i'm worried over.

Seeing as money is an issue, will the cheap belkin €7 protector from powercity be as good as one that costs €15? Are laptops ok to not have to have protection because of their own battery (therefore backup)?

Any advice greatly appreciated,

thanks.

I would assume that the cost of fitting surge protectors to the desks would be more then the cost of replacing broken machines. Even with surge protectors, immediate power loss can still kill machines so if money was tight I wouldn't view it as worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 nickibopp

Can I drag up this issue again please?!

I also work for a non-profit also in a very old building in Cork - 300 years old and largely made of wood. I am less concerned about the computer equipment that surges may damage than about a surge starting a fire - is that a reasonable worry? In which case, I'm thinking I might be better off installing surge protection for the whole house in the cabinet, rather than requiring everyone to use surge protection in their offices. Is this very expensive does anyone know?

Thanks,

Nicki

Advertisement