Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book shops, Durnsey Island, & Other query

Options
  • 09-12-2008 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi there

Im spending a week in Cork City next week with my hubby and im looking for some decent bookshops, preferably the older and mustier the better! Im crazy about books any second hand and rare places would be amazing!
    Also im looking at Whale Wtaching tours and going to Durnsey Island ( if i have spelt this right) but i cant see anywhere on the net if they are open this time of year? Can anyone help?
    And if anyone could recommend somewhere amazing for a night out too ( week nights) with traditional Irish Music that would be amazing.

Thank you so much in advance

H

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Unfortunately most of the musty old bookshops in Cork have closed down. However there is one good one left : Connolly's on Rory Gallagher Square, next to Paul St. Shopping Centre. Chaos, especially upstairs, if they even leave anyone up there anymore. Maybe there are more, some other boardsies might know.

There's a shop called "Living Tradition" on MacCurtain St which sells trad and world music and music books. You might be interested in it, and the people in there can probably direct you to a good session. That part of town has a few interesting shops and bars, although it's a bit run-down. The Corner House and Sin É nearby sometimes have sessions.

Dursey Island sounds great, but it is very far away from Cork City. It might be worth spending a night down that way if you're planning to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Second hand books stores

Oliver Plunket Street (Grand Parade side)
    The Shelf (Georges Quay)
    Paul Street Shopping Centre (mentioned already)
    Theres is another one outside of town near model farm road direction and a few more around Cork - check the GP

There is also some charity shops on Castle St and off Oliver Plunket Street that you may find useful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

That part of town has a few interesting shops and bars, although it's a bit run-down. The Corner House and Sin É nearby sometimes have sessions.

You mustn't have visited the area recently? At least this area of town has kept its character unlike Patricks St etc.
    Nukem wrote: »
    Second hand books stores

Oliver Plunket Street (Grand Parade side)

Unidea (sp?), Oliver Plunkett Street?

Can vouch for Connolly's, absolute mayhem inside but a must for a book lover.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Vibes and Scribes on Bridge St (near Mac Curtain St area) is worth a look for second hand books (and DVDs) too. It lacks the atmosphere of Connolly's though! I never liked the Uneeda Bookshop much. It has mostly secondhand paperback pulp stuff, not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's probably not what the OP is looking for.

Anyone know anything more about the Model Farm Road one?

And I didn't mean to put anyone off the Mac Curtain St / Coburg St area. On the contrary, I was recommending it! A lot of it still looks run-down, but it is becoming gentrified. I kind of like the shabby edge, it makes it more interesting.

edit: Liam Ruiseal's bookshop on Oliver Plunkett St has a lot of interesting Irish material. I don't think they sell secondhand books, but it's worth a look if you're passing. They used to have bargain section upstairs where you can find the odd interesting item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 hellybellydood

Wow thank you so much guys for replying to this! I really cant wait now books are my obsession and passion and Im going to have an amazing time browsing all these book shops! Thank you so much again for this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

There's a shop called "Living Tradition" on MacCurtain St which sells trad and world music and music books. You might be interested in it, and the people in there can probably direct you to a good session.
    Sadly, Living Tradition is no more. Its a great shame because the guy with the glasses in there really knew his stuff :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

There used to be another 2nd hand bookshop on one of the little lanes off Patrick Street, on the right hand side as you walk towards the north channel of the river. This lane is one of the entrances to the English Market. I think the shop is still there...

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

If you google Dursey Island you will get much info. I think it is operated by cork county council and you should check it is currently in use as i think i saw it was to be replaced. It is licensed to carry 3 people and a cow. when i last went over in it three bullocks had come in it from the island. lovely spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

There used to be another 2nd hand bookshop on one of the little lanes off Patrick Street, on the right hand side as you walk towards the north channel of the river. This lane is one of the entrances to the English Market. I think the shop is still there...

Pretty sure it's no longer there :( It was a nice shop.

Re: Model Farm Rd one. Never spotted this - whereabouts is it? Is it new?

Also, slightly off topic... Uneeda - What a great name! It took me a while between first seeing it and my brain kicking in to realise it's brilliance, but has been one of my favourite shop names for a good while. Nice guy who runs it too.

Uneeda [You-need-a] bookshop! :D

Advertisement