Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is there going to be changes to the driving test after Xmas?

Options
  • 09-12-2008 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and new to driving, I'm one of those late starters. I have just started driving lessons and my instructor has mentioned that there may be more stringent testing methods coming in. HE said that you may be required to take a minimum of 10 Pretests before your driving test and you will have to pass a written theory test before you can even attempt to get into a car to do your practical driving test? Has anyone else heard of these new rules, I cannot find anything on the rsa site about it???

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Eh no. The only mew requirements that are coming in regarding driving testing in ireland, in the new year are that driving instructors must be ADI certified to give lessons. There is no requirement coming into force that introduces compulsary pretests. Pretests are a bit of a joke tbh, lessons are what you should be getting and perhaps 1 pretest on the run up to your test day. There is no written test but there is an oral test, where questions ragarding the rules of the road are asked, as well as questions about technical checks, such as how to check the oil level in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

The changes coming on Jan 1st only impact the instructors - requiring them to become an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) or it will be against the law to instruct for reward.

This is seen as the first step in a series of proposals which will (maybe!!)eventually require learners to get a certain number of lessons from an ADI, maintain a log book of the amount and type of driving done etc before doing the actual test. However all of these additional requirements on the learner are just proposals at the moment so bottom line is there will be no change from a learner driver point of view in Jan - except it may be harder to find an instructor!.

Declan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

DriveSkill wrote: »

This is seen as the first step in a series of proposals which will (maybe!!)eventually require learners to get a certain number of lessons from an ADI, maintain a log book of the amount and type of driving done etc before doing the actual test.

Such a good idea in my books. Plus it should count towards your test, more like continous assessment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DawnR

Thanks Guys for responding so quickly. Seems like my instructor is a couple of steps ahead of himself. It may not be a bad idea to bring in some mandatory training requirements to ensure that all drivers are at least shown the basics properly. Agree amount the pretests it would make more sense if it were driving lessons that were made mandatory not pretests.

Cheers

DawnR

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hurley6969

Just a quick note on this, I only passed my test there during the summer and I was told by BOTH my Instructor and Tester that next year (09) prov licence holders will need to do a min of 10 lessons with ( the most important thing ) an officially registered instructor company.
    The instructor was saying he and all others have to do more tests to get the proper qualification to keep doing what they are doing. He openly admitted its an easy way to get money by giving a mandatory 10 lessons instead of being able to do one or two then go for your test.

• Advertisement

That is a proposal for the future, as of yet there is no date set to implament mandatory lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

If you want to see the type of changes being considered check out Appendix III of the Road Safety Strategy 2007 - 2012. Its available online at :

NOTE : This doc is about 7MB so dont go clicking if you are on 'dial-up'!

http://www.rsa.ie/publication/publication/upload/822_RSA_Strategy_ENG.pdf

Some good ideas in that doc like credit card size driving licences etc but when it will all actually come into force is anyones guess!

Declan.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

DriveSkill wrote: »
    If you want to see the type of changes being considered check out Appendix III of the Road Safety Strategy 2007 - 2012. Its available online at :

NOTE : This doc is about 7MB so dont go clicking if you are on 'dial-up'!

http://www.rsa.ie/publication/publication/upload/822_RSA_Strategy_ENG.pdf

Some good ideas in that doc like credit card size driving licences etc but when it will all actually come into force is anyones guess!

Declan.
    Good to see we are at the forefront again :rolleyes:
    They have had them in the rest of the EU for years!!

Cheers for that Declan. Unfortunately i'm browsing on my phone so i shant be clicking on that link just yet!

Advertisement