Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need to Ghost an OS/2 drive under windows.

• 09-12-2008 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

First off, I apologise for double posting here and on the Computers board but time is not my friend and the more views/replies the merrier.

I need to backup the HDD on a standalone (not networked) production tool. The tool runs custom software under os/2. I'm trying the drive as a 2nd drive in a local windows PC and using Norton Ghost 8.2. While the os/2 drive shows up in the source list, it is greyed out and therefore not selectable. FWIW, for now I just want to save the image to the local C drive.

I've only tried using the GUI so far. Maybe somebody knows of a command line switch to force Ghost to image the drive?
    Any other suggestions also welcome.

Thanks in advance,
    Milltown

Edit: Actually, there's confusion over the operating system. I'm not quite sure where I got OS2 from. Any parameter changes are done via serial port and hyper terminal from a laptop using OS-9 commands. Surely in this digital age there's some relatively easy way to copy 1s and 0s from one drive to another? Probably not.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Is the file system JFS? There seems to be an issue with Norton and other cloning tools. Is it a necessity to use Norton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The last time I used any version of Ghost, which was admittedly a long time ago before it started to suffer from feature-bloat, it didn't care what file-system was being used, you could just make an image of a partition, regardless of what was in it. Maybe you have to go into some kind of "expert" mode or something to do that? Personally I use Acronis True Image for this kind of thing, and I'm pretty sure it could do what you want.

If all else fails, you could boot a Linux distro and use dd, that always works.

Advertisement