Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Penalty Poll

Options
  • 09-12-2008 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭

Does Ireland need the death penalty:

Bring Back Hanging? 254 votes

No It is immoral
    0% 0 votes
    No It is ineffective
    37% 96 votes
    Don't know
    22% 57 votes
    Yes but we can't have it because of the Council of Europe
    1% 3 votes
    Yes but we must be very careful not to kill any innocent people
    5% 15 votes
    Yes and we should accept that innocent people will be killed
    27% 70 votes
    Yes and we should use it indiscriminately as a tool of social control
    5% 13 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Where's the poll? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

No,

next........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Who is anyone to decide weather or not to take a life... Honestly, its ridiculous...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Nope. I say let the c**ts rot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

I believe in torture,death is a blessing to the scum we have walking around our streets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Didn't you already post a thread like this today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

No I'd be completely against it

How can a Government say that killing is wrong and then kill murderers? It'd be the height of hypocrisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭omgiluvxmas

too lenient and solves nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

100% Yes.

Some people just simply need to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Mhmm...weetabix

The problem is they dont rot and its at our expense.
    Dig a big hole, throw the ****ers in and let them fight till the last man is standing. Reality TV at it's best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Wagon wrote: »
    Didn't you already post a thread like this today?
    yeah but you can't edit an exisiting post to have a poll.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yes but we must be very careful not to kill any innocent people

Judge: Are you innocent?
    Accused: Yep
    Judge: Fair enough, we'll just chuck you in jail and won't hang you then

That can't be enforced so it's ridiculous to have it on the poll. From Amnesty International USA's website:
    Since 1973, 130 people have been released from death rows throughout the country due to evidence of their wrongful convictions. In 2003 alone, 10 wrongfully convicted defendants were released from death row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

yeah but you can't edit an exisiting post to have a poll.

Fair enough so. I say yes, but it must have a stable legal system behind it. Or just an effective legal system on it's own would be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ordinary_story

no - but I'm all for capital punishment and hard labour, bring back the stocks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

"Yes but we must be very careful not to kill any innocent people"

This makes no sense. Are you implying that the justice system does not already take care against convicting innocent people? Or does "we" refer to mobs with pitchforks? How do you suggest we be extra-super-duper careful not to hang people? And are you implying that its not really important to be careful if we are merely jailing people for decades and not actually hanging them?

Edit: Zaph got there before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

No, never.

Bring in as a substitute lifelong solitary confinement with no communication outside of the prison for gang leaders etc who could order people to be shot and the like, as well as those who are/were in charge of drug dealing of any kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

It is better that 10 guilty men go free than that one innocent man be hanged.
    It is better that 1000 guilty men go free than that one innocent mane be hanged.

Spot the diff?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Yes, but only if those who kill the killers are then killed themselves by others who are then also killed by others who will also be hanged and so on.

So you're against the death penalty but in favour of capital punishment, is that right? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Zaph wrote: »
    Judge: Are you innocent?
    Accused: Yep
    Judge: Fair enough, we'll just chuck you in jail and won't hang you then

That can't be enforced so it's ridiculous to have it on the poll. From Amnesty International USA's website:

how many wrongful convictions have there been in Ireland in the last 10 years where thoes convicted would have been given the death penalty?

anyone? just curious

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It is better that 10 guilty men go free than that one innocent man be hanged.
    It is better that 1000 guilty men go free than that one innocent mane be hanged.

Spot the diff?

Jack Bauer, is that you?

how many wrongful convictions have there been in Ireland in the last 10 years where thoes convicted would have been given the death penalty?

anyone? just curious

What difference does that make? As they say on those pension fund ads, past performance is not an indicator of future performance. Even if every conviction was spot on, it doesn't mean that some won't be wrong in the future.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Irlbo wrote: »
    I believe in torture,death is a blessing to the scum we have walking around our streets
    too lenient and solves nothing.
    Holsten wrote: »
    100% Yes.

Some people just simply need to die.
    The problem is they dont rot and its at our expense.
    Dig a big hole, throw the ****ers in and let them fight till the last man is standing. Reality TV at it's best
    ...Caligula would have blushed.

I have one word: proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Zaph wrote: »
    What difference does that make? As they say on those pension fund ads, past performance is not an indicator of future performance. Even if every conviction was spot on, it doesn't mean that some won't be wrong in the future.

good one ha, thats true but the whole point of the AI is that, ok so a few guys were convicted wrongly and freeded before meeting their maker thats not to say that future convicted persons will end up the same.

Personally Im against the death penalty but am for proper prisions,proper periods of detention and chain gangs etc punish them basically

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

"This poll will close on 11-12-2008 at 17:02"

Can that be edited? Needs to be longer I think.

Personally Im against the death penalty but am for proper prisions,proper periods of detention and chain gangs etc punish them basically

This I have no problem with. If someone commits murder they should spend the rest of their nights behind bars and their days doing something useful for society. And should someone be wrongfully convicted, at least they'll still be alive to set free.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

kleefarr wrote: »
    "This poll will close on 11-12-2008 at 17:02"

Can that be edited? Needs to be longer I think.
    Possibly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Not killing scumbags is clearly failing society.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Can't we just deport the really really really really really really really really really bastardly criminals and send them to somewhere without a sewage system or electricity?
    That'd teach them.
    And for each bad guy we send to one of those places, we bring an innocent person back and spend the same amount of money on that person that it would've taken to keep mr. villain in prison for a lifetime - that way we'd be helping, but in a more productive way than Bono.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Can't we just deport the really really really really really really really really really bastardly criminals and send them to somewhere without a sewage system or electricity?
    That'd teach them.

Even if Roscommon exists,would that be fair on the people who might live there already?:p

Advertisement