Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Penalty Poll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Terry wrote: »
    Possibly. :)

By a Mod or by the OP? (I know it can be done via the "edit" button. ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

The problem is they dont rot and its at our expense.
    Dig a big hole, throw the ****ers in and let them fight till the last man is standing. Reality TV at it's best

Don't you realise the cost of an execution? Don't forget the numerous legal battles that will be brought against the government for every single time they try to execute someone. It's not as simple or as cheap as sticking a syringe into someone, wait for them to drop dead, and through them into a hole in the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Didn't we vote on this a few years back? everyone decided to get rid of it in a referendum in the days before our teenagers had firearms.

TBH a cull is needed not a death penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Zaph wrote: »
    This I have no problem with. If someone commits murder they should spend the rest of their nights behind bars and their days doing something useful for society. And should someone be wrongfully convicted, at least they'll still be alive to set free.

oh agree fully, what would be constructive for them to do? replace lab rats? be used as human gunnie pigs for the cosmetic industry keep PETA happy I jest of course.

The only issue I have is the do gooders who come along and fight for their rights. The minute you broke the law you gave up your rights as a citizen in my opnion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Mark200 wrote: »
    Don't you realise the cost of an execution? Don't forget the numerous legal battles that will be brought against the government for every single time they try to execute someone. It's not as simple or as cheap as sticking a syringe into someone, wait for them to drop dead, and through them into a hole in the ground

However much it costs, it's better than letting the barstewards commit a murder again and destroy somebody elses family. In cases where it has been proved beyond all doubt, there should be no come back and no added expense. End of story.

• Advertisement

Hard Larry wrote: »
    Didn't we vote on this a few years back? everyone decided to get rid of it in a referendum in the days before our teenagers had firearms.

that vote was to remove from the constitution the punishment, of the crime, of the murder of a garda by was of hanging. and it was the only hangable offence

kleefarr wrote: »
    However much it costs, it's better than letting the barstewards commit a murder again and destroy somebody elses family. In cases where it has been proved beyond all doubt, there should be no come back and no added expense. End of story.

So why can't you just lock them up with the other murderers?

The only issue I have is the do gooders who come along and fight for their rights. The minute you broke the law you gave up your rights as a citizen in my opnion.

So those who have one of those dogey boxes or have ever copied a Cd / Dvd shouldn't have the any rights as a citizen?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Hard Larry wrote: »

It was formally taken out of the constitution in 2002.
    how many wrongful convictions have there been in Ireland in the last 10 years where thoes convicted would have been given the death penalty?

anyone? just curious
    Zero. Although it is worth noting that the death penalty has been off the statute books since 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I think we should take a leaf out of the Middle Easts book.

Public stoning FTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Fizman wrote: »
    I think we should take a leaf out of the Middle Easts book.

Public stoning FTW.

Stoning is usually only reserved as a punishment for adultery and prostitution, and is almost exclusively applied to women. Surely you're not suggesting that Coppers gets raided every Saturday night and every slapper there is publicly stoned?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

How creepily disturbing that only one-quarter of people think it is immoral....

A person may deserve to die, but no one has the right to kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Zaph wrote: »
    Stoning is usually only reserved as a punishment for adultery and prostitution, and is almost exclusively applied to women. Surely you're not suggesting that Coppers gets raided every Saturday night and every slapper there is publicly stoned?

unworkable, the coppers are more likely to be already getting stoned with the slappers in coppers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I was torn between the two "No" options but I eventually went with "ineffective" rather than "immoral".

Execute someone, and their punishment ends after their death. I say leave murderers/rapists/hardened criminals locked up for life in solitary confinement. It's not our right to kill them and they shouldn't be allowed have a quick, state-inflicted death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Ziggurat

How creepily disturbing that only one-quarter of people think it is immoral....

A person may deserve to die, but no one has the right to kill.

Careful now, with that kind of talk you're liable to be labelled a "do gooder" and have the psychotic masses of AH descend upon you for ever thinking of treating your fellow man with an ounce of humanity.

It's sad that we now live in an age where arguments championing even the rights of criminals is frowned upon. I know I've used it before but this quote by Thomas Paine illustrates, in part, why I feel the way I do:
    An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    Apart from this, killing the criminal does not undo the crime. Nor does it bring back the person they murdered, if that was their crime.
    It's only purpose is to give a visceral and sickening glee to those connected to the victim.

So those who have one of those dogey boxes or have ever copied a Cd / Dvd shouldn't have the any rights as a citizen?

thats my opnion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

If our justice system could guarentee 100% that all convictions were correct, and there was no way somebody could be wrongfully convicted, then yes I would absolutely bring back the death penalty for the worst of the worst criminals. Since that is impossible, I'd have to vote no. One innocent person put to death is one too many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Holsten wrote: »
    100% Yes.

Some people just simply need to die.
    They will eventually. What's the rush?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭georgem25

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Although I've seen cases of people who don't deserve to live, I don't have enough trust in the judicial nor the political system to delegate them with the power to decide how and when this should be applied.

As for the forced labour, that should apply to anyone in jail. I resent funding their free ride. Get them to produce something, they just have it far too easy.... hey, I know, let's outsource our prison system. Let's pay North Korea or China to host and run our jails!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I definitely 110% think there should be a death penalty for the most serious and barbaric of crimes. Not by lethal injection either, that's too easy a way out.

I don't think Ireland should have one, simply because of the incompetence of the people in charge. It would become corrupt in no time, and innocents would be put down.

OctavarIan wrote: »
    I definitely 110% think there should be a death penalty for the most serious and barbaric of crimes. Not by lethal injection either, that's too easy a way out.

I don't think Ireland should have one, simply because of the incompetence of the people in charge. It would become corrupt in no time, and innocents would be put down.

So death is too easy a way out....what you want is torture.

And innocents will always get caught up in whatever punishment there is, no matter what system is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

So death is too easy a way out....what you want is torture.

Did I mention torture? I just said the lethal injection was too soft a way to go out. There are many ways to quickly and cleanly kill someone without it being classified as torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Èibhear

My State executes the worst of the worst and I don't have a problem with it. We also have the most inmates on death row at 667.

The last big execution was the Crips gang co-founder. It stirred the pot quite a bit, but in the end what he had done was horrible and never really repented for it. There is always the chance for a stay and conversion to life in prison, if officals feel they truly have made amends.

Some argue that you do nothing good by taking a life, to which I agree to an extent. Look at war, in this case you have two men on either side, no bad blood between them personally, trying to kill/injure each other; for nothing more then order of a leader. Not knowing anything about how each one could be an outstading family man and leader in their own community back home.
    When I think about it like that, how many lives we have lost for god and country, it seems trivial for me to feel sad for a single man answering for his brutal crimes.
    The death penalty isn't meant for all crimes, just the most brutal, twisted examples of human disregard of life. It also help to remind people that they will be held accountable for their actions, considering the crime has to be premeditated, possibly deterring them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Kill the rapists, kill the racists, kill the fcuking pedos, kill the bastards that beat up the elderly.

really really bad crimes = death

anything else just send them to leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Kill the rapists, kill the racists, kill the fcuking pedos, kill the bastards that beat up the elderly.

really really bad crimes = death

anything else just send them to leitrim.

Ah the decline of the internet. Remember the good old days when right wing nut job, keyboard warriors didn't know how to use a computer and hadn't the slightest idea what the internet was? Good times.

Anyone who thinks the death penalty isn't immoral is really, really stupid. That's not an opinion, that's fact. That's why it's illegal in all civilised countries in the world and will eventually be illegal in that vast majority of countries around the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Simi wrote: »
    Ah the decline of the internet. Remember the good old days when right wing nut job, keyboard warriors didn't know how to use a computer and hadn't the slightest idea what the internet was? Good times.

Anyone who thinks the death penalty isn't immoral is really, really stupid. That's not an opinion, that's fact. That's why it's illegal in all civilised countries in the world and will eventually be illegal in that vast majority of countries around the world.

How about, whoever thinks it is immoral is really really stupid. Reoffenders of serious crimes should be extinguished from our society.

I am no right wing nut job, nor am I a "keyboard warrior" I do however have opinions and beliefs which I am more than entitled to express. The op asked a question and I answered it. So please place your head back in your rectum and shhhh!!! ;) Good lad...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

How about, whoever thinks it is immoral is really really stupid. Reoffenders of serious crimes should be extinguished from our society.

I am no right wing nut job, nor am I a "keyboard warrior" I do however have opinions and beliefs which I am more than entitled to express. The op asked a question and I answered it. So please place your head back in your rectum and shhhh!!! ;) Good lad...

Ya see I think it's immoral, so do all intelligent people. And your right, you are perfectly entitled to your beliefs and opinions. I still yearn for the good old days when you and your right wing buddies weren't around to express them. Oh and you are socially right wing if you believe in the death penalty. Sorry I had to be the one to tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Èibhear

Simi wrote: »

hahaha..... right. Thats a good one.

Advertisement