Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick baking question

• 09-12-2008 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

i have this moist lemon cake in the oven, forgot to get the icing sugar in the shop for the syrup, i have regular sugar and castor sugar in the press, which would be the best to use instead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

castor sugar is closer to icing sugar.
    Put it in a food processor and it just might make icing sugar for you or put it in a bag and bash the bejaysus out of it with a rolling pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

thanks but dosnt matter anyways, when taking the cake out the bottom was stuck to the tin, i never used any paper. then when holding the cake it pretty much fell apart. was it not baked enough? it looked pretty good inside and out. me bit annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

A very fresh cake is prone to crumble or fall asunder. If you grease the tin well (and it's a non-stick tin) you don't need to use baking paper. Depending on the sort of cake, allow it to cool a little in the tin first, it will be easier to empty out.

a well, it was my second cake so i will know better next time. on a plus side it is fecking yummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Parchment paper is yer only man for non-stickness.

• Advertisement

is that the same as grease proof paper? sorry if that is a stupid question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Emphatically no, Greaseproof sucks in comparison to parchment! Defo go for parchment every time, it is a cake-saver, never put a cake in a tin without lining it with a parchment disc first.

Learn how to line a tin here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/get_cooking/techniques/016001.shtml

Advertisement