Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still unsure what I want to do..

Options
  • 09-12-2008 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,

I'm just wondering are any of you still unsure about what courses to choose?

Some days I think I have it sorted, then other days ( like today!) I feel totally lost. I feel like I've researched so much but I'm not getting anywhere. :eek:

Has anyone got advice on how you decided or how you are researching? That would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Well, i think im decided on engineering, if only i could decide between trinity and ucd i would be sorted!

Some days though, i feel totally confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Kind of the same sitation here. Leaning towards computers though. Do you know what area you want to stufy at least?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

Lol...

I done my LC this year, took a year out and trying to decide what to do still!!
    You've loadsa time! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I hope to study law and if everything goes like it does in my head, then I know exactly where I'll be in 10 years time. I don't know how I ever thought, Oh I want to be a barrister, because you don't study anything law-like in school, but I just decided at some point, that's what I was interested in :confused:

Nobody here can make the decision for you, because then it would be what we think you should do, rather than what you want to do... Loads of people in my year are still very unsure as to what they want, so you are not alone. A couple of people I know don't even have the slightest idea of an inkling about what they want...

Is there any area you are particularly interested in, but are unsure about courses, or are you just completely lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I'd really advise against choosing a course just for the sake of it. Why not take a year or so out, see a bit of the world, and find out what you are passionate about?

This decision is going to effect the rest of your life, and just going in to some course because you think you might like it is not being fair to your future self. On the other hand, taking a bit of extra time to discover more about yourself and your interests will help you choose something you really really love. The more you like something, the better and more dedicated you will be to it.

Far too many people just pick a course for the sake of it, or because they feel pressured to go straight in to college. Of course this results in high drop out rates, a waste of time, money and potential.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Ckal

Don't freak out. I was in the same situation last year when I applied to CAO. I am taking a gap year and I still haven't decided. You have plenty of time, don't worry about that.

Some days I think I have it sorted, and then a few days later I'm completely lost. It happens. Take a break and travel or work. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Yeah I only decided on Science Education in October. Until then I was content on doing Journalism since 2nd year.

Don't worry about it. Just throw something down on the CAO and get it over with. When the change of mind arrives, you might have a better idea. If not, then do what a couple of people before me have said. Take a gap year. Get a job to build up some funds and maybe you'll have a clearer idea of what you want to do then.

Advertisement