Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

jazz/blues in Headford, Galway

• 09-12-2008 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Anyone out there interested in playing some jazz and/or jazzy blues (as opposed to blues rock) on Sunday evenings in Campbell's Tavern in Cloughanover? Myself (guitar) and a friend (clarinet) have been meeting there for the last few weeks to jam between 6:30 and 8:30. We play standards like Autumn Leaves, Basin Street Blues, There is No Greater Love, Summertime, Satin Doll, Rose Room, Doxy, etc... and would love to have some others join in. Hopefully we'll have a bassist join next week. We're just enthusiastic amateurs, so no matter what level you're at, we'll be happy to have you join in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Would be interested but wouldn't really have a way of getting out there as i live on the other side of town. Not to mention that i know feck all standards too (something i keep meaning to improve on but just find reading to be a bit arduous (something else i need to work on!)) though improvising over em'd be okay. Cool that you've a clarinet player, too many feckin guitarists out there though!

I'm one of em too btw so don't take offence :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

getting out from Galway should not be a problem as the clarinet lives in town and would probably be able to give you a lift - I'll check with him. Where do you live?

BTW, this sunday is not happening but we'll be back on next Sunday, hopefully with an upright bassist on board.

I take it from your name that you would be playing basoon?

I generally agree about guitarists - far too many of us around. Someone has to play the chords though and pianos just aren't cool enough, are they? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I think his name may or may not be a reference to his liking of 'cake'. :p

Indeed, and Headford is a well known 'cake' hotspot so his bassoon will be well received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

getting out from Galway should not be a problem as the clarinet lives in town and would probably be able to give you a lift - I'll check with him. Where do you live?

BTW, this sunday is not happening but we'll be back on next Sunday, hopefully with an upright bassist on board.

I generally agree about guitarists - far too many of us around. Someone has to play the chords though and pianos just aren't cool enough, are they? :)
    Sorry about late reply, been busy with exams and the celebration of the end of the said exams!

I'm from Highfield Park (between Taylor's Hill and Shantalla road so its not too far from town and i won't mind traveling a bit).

And no, I'm afraid that Daddio is spot on about the description of the name being non music related, though if i did play bassoon i'd have to play it in a mad way that would do justice to the greatness of Chris Morris!
    As said I play guitar and, more recently, drums - though i only have a crappy electric drum kit at the moment.

Would be well up for coming along some time though, though if it is happening let me know some of the songs ye play so i can get myself the sheet music and find versions of them to see what they sound like!

And pianos are hella cool man, hella cool.

• Advertisement

We should be on this sunday. PM me for phone numbers if you want a lift. As regards songs, the 6 or 7 mentioned in the OP would be great. You can find them in the real book. I'll PM with more info on that, as I don't want to post anything here that might infringe copyright laws.

Advertisement