Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to pay for an 06 X5 Sport?

Options
  • 09-12-2008 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I sold my own car in mid Sept and have been waiting to buy up an X5 at the right price. I'm watching Carzone almost daily since mid Sept and the X5's have come down by approx 10k since then at the dealers. From what I can tell only two 06 X5's has sold since then in Dublin. The average price for a good one of these from a dealer is about €46k right now.

When would be the best time to approach a dealer with an offer? Ideally I don't want to spend more than the late €30's. Is this realistic?

I'd have no problem with a private sale but these are few and the prices are higher :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Get out to Merlin car auctions lad... The place is flooded with finance repossesion X5's! A 05 3.0d X5 with 90k kms on it went provisionally for €23500 two weeks ago.. Reckon it could have been bought for a shade under €25000. If your a buyer, that doesnt mind a private sale, knows a decent car when you see one, and have the money, then thats the place for ya.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Dazzy wrote: »
    I sold my own car in mid Sept and have been waiting to buy up an X5 at the right price. I'm watching Carzone almost daily since mid Sept and the X5's have come down by approx 10k since then at the dealers. From what I can tell only two 06 X5's has sold since then in Dublin. The average price for a good one of these from a dealer is about €46k right now.

When would be the best time to approach a dealer with an offer? Ideally I don't want to spend more than the late €30's. Is this realistic?

I'd have no problem with a private sale but these are few and the prices are higher :confused:

late 30s sounds about right, whatever the dealers are asking you know is 25-20% overpriced at least. Try ringing a few and see what kind of trade ins they are offering for them and you'll soon get an idea of the actual value they think they are worth...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Was talking to a lad looking to trade a 05 X5 and he was just told no(from a BMW dealer and other's.). Simple, no crap price, just a no. They aren't selling, and haven't been selling very well. Bide your time, go to auctions, go to dealers etc. and remember your the buyer. If you don't get the value you want, just walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

I have been watching the auctions but havent seen anything like the 05 X5 you mention for sale. I don't have the knowledge that I think I would need to be able to spot a lemon at an auction though! I do have a good mechanic but he wont travel.

I've went to a few dealers and made offers up to the end of October/Early Nov - none of which were accepted. I actually offered a dealer 48K for one back in early October, but he wouldn't budge on his asking price of 49k.

There are virtually none for sale "private" which I'm surpirsed about.

This looks like the type of thing you after, have you tried this one?
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/X5/3.0d/200847190971421/advert

What about other options like an RR Sport?
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Land-Rover/Range-Rover-Sport/2.7-TDV6/200840190231313/advert

• Advertisement

This looks like the type of thing you after, have you tried this one?
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/X5/3.0d/200847190971421/advert

This would be perfect except for the KE reg. I'm looking for a D reg. I know the KE reg would be harder to sell on.

What about other options like an RR Sport?
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Land-Rover/Range-Rover-Sport/2.7-TDV6/200840190231313/advert

Mad about these and had one up to September. Only had it for a month but since then I've been told to stay clear of the RR's as they give so much trouble. Friend has an 07 Vogue SE and has had heaps of trouble. The prices on these haven't moved or only moved slighty at the RR dealers in recent months.

Mad about these and had one up to September. Only had it for a month but since then I've been told to stay clear of the RR's as they give so much trouble. Friend has an 07 Vogue SE and has had heaps of trouble. The prices on these haven't moved or only moved slighty at the RR dealers in recent months.

His Vogue Se is more than likely a 3.6 which is a different engine. In the Sport you would be looking at a 2.7, same as the Discovery. To be completely honest, the only major problems i've seen with these are the handbrake's failing, and a bit of trouble with the air suspension. Out of curiousity i'd love to know what problems he has had. Anything pre 06 in bigger RR is the same engine as the X5, so any trouble's would be comparable(i think the x5 is chipped or something to be more powerful. Could be wrong.) I wouldn't rule out the RRS's because one fella has had trouble. I'm sure there are enough of fella's with trouble from X5's;).

Again it's your own decision.

I don't know what the original problems were with the Vogue SE but recently it was back in as the electric seats went. It is the 3.6 Litre engine.

Have had the RRS and have driven the X5. X5 has a 3.0Litre engine and seems to have a lot more poke in it. RR's have definately a bad Rep but would agree that you don't hear the same about the RRS's. Having said that the bushings (i think,was on the front wheels) were gone on the one I had which had 30k miles and another one I test drove had the exact same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

I've went to a few dealers and made offers up to the end of October/Early Nov - none of which were accepted. I actually offered a dealer 48K for one back in early October, but he wouldn't budge on his asking price of 49k.

There are virtually none for sale "private" which I'm surpirsed about.

As Dazzy said above...had a very similar experience last week when offfered mid 40's to a dealer that wanted 47 & he would not budge:confused:

Are they or are they not in trouble? A lot of it appears to be the typical greed
    we are all accustomed to. Not trying to take advantage of the dealers's predictament (seriously I'm not splitting my sides:o) but when one offers 45 against a gas guzzling coupe at 47 & that's it, is left walk away...something wrong with that picture:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

Get out to Merlin car auctions lad... The place is flooded with finance repossesion X5's! A 05 3.0d X5 with 90k kms on it went provisionally for €23500 two weeks ago.. Reckon it could have been bought for a shade under €25000. If your a buyer, that doesnt mind a private sale, knows a decent car when you see one, and have the money, then thats the place for ya.

+1 to that, was out there a few weeks ago, the place is swamped. Seen a Subaru Rb320 go for 28k. They are worth 40+ on the irish market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Just bought an 05 x5 for 31k , from a dealer with 2 year warranty.

What kind of discount did you get off the asking price? Is it a sport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Well, the good news OP is you have lots of choice here.
    Wait a few weeks, and then any vehicle you have your beady eye on is one year older again.
    Landrover/RR sport wise - i have heard evidential stories of big problems and small ones - just irritating ownership, one thing after another type stuff.
    I'm a BMW fan, had a few and have a 535D currently. The X5 is a fine bus, great engine and image.Auction house sales are good if you know what to seek out. Dealers forecourts are good too if you have cash and no trade.
    Private sales are good too, lots of owners out there wanting to clear debts to tighten belts after redundancys etc.
    Me, for an 06' X5, I'd wait till Jan and get myself one for 29k or 30ish - or there abouts. I'd condider going to the Uk, sterling is cheap and models/examples are plentiful over there.
    Best of luck !

Advertisement