Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL courses - what to look for?

Options
  • 09-12-2008 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Im interested in doing a TEFL course but not really sure what to look for in terms of recognition by governing bodies and the like. Does anyone have any tips or useful resources? Im not planning on travelling abroad anytime within the next few years so I want to be able to teach here in Ireland as well as overseas if I decide to move later.

A few courses I looked at offered online courses. Anybody know what the standard is like? Would a recruiter/employer look differently on an online qualification as opposed to a traditional face to face one?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Disonyxiated

Hey,
    I'm just about to start a Post Grad Cert in TESOL in UCD in a couple of weeks which, as far as I could see is the best course being offered in Ireland at the moment.

A few good points about it are... Since it is a Post Graduate course offered by the NUI it is more widely recognized than many other courses out there. Plus, the main reason why I decided to take this course is the combination of a heavy workload & a lot of teaching practice, which is something employers definitely look for. The only thing which might make you think twice about the UCD course is that it is almost €3000 & you need to have a primary degree first.

I'd avoid the online courses if I were you. Employers look for teaching practice, something you cannot get with those online courses. Likewise learning to become a teacher requires practice & contact with teachers + tutors. Oh & you gotta make sure that the course you do pick is accredited by one of the accreditation boards, look to see if the course you pick is accredited by ACELS & CELTA.

-Chris

Advertisement